conga skins? HELP

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby conga KID » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:48 am

whats up ya'll...
ive decided to change the skins on my toca elite series 10'' and 11'' need some advice on what to mount and where i can get them from either online or in australia i dont think il go for the original elite heads, so what other skins will fit? prefferably pre mounted...peace :cool:
PERCUSSION...A WAY OF LIFE!!
conga KID

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:07 pm

Pre mounted ey... Try ringing Billy Hydes (number is in that other thread we were talking in) Im sure they could help you out.
If not, I can find out through a toca distributor in Sydney, but that wont be till 2moro prob.

Will be hard for you to find pre moulded Mule skin here in Aus. Very rare.

I know how to re-mould skins if you cant find in you size, and only can get flat skins, Id be happy to help, but you would have to come in to Sydney.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby conga KID » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:15 pm

thanks abakua i wouldnt know the difference between skins, are mule skins a darker shade to toca skins which they say are bisen..not sure what that is either.. ???
conga KID

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:22 pm

Different textures in the skin, ie from different animals, different quality and sound produced.

Eg. Most LP skins are rawhide (Buffulo skin)

Mule skin is great, far more durable, but I have always had the best of LP's skins due to my relationship/business dealings with LP distributor here.

Will look around for you here and get back to you.

Edited By ABAKUA on 1114604629
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby conga KID » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:26 pm

thanks again......,i have an lp aspire 11" aswell and the skin off that fits onto my toca 11" so i wonder if something of better quality in the lp range would:

Edited By conga KID on 1114604832
conga KID

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:32 pm

The key would be to have the exact measurement from top of the skin across.
Usually it fits perfect if all matched up, however there have been known to be exceptions between different brand drums, most match up though.
Only way to be 100% sure is having the drum there in the store with you and premounting it to see if it fits.
However, I will get in contact withthe Toca distributor here and see what they got for you.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Firebrand » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:52 pm

If there are Remo Fyberskins for them...I'd say check them out. I'm done with regular skin heads, unless for Tumba's

I've heard many conga players get some amazing sounds out of them, and best of all, with proper detuning, they last a real long time.
Firebrand

Postby Raymond » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:49 pm

The problem you are having is one we have discussed here in buying in "odd size, not standard professional sizes" that normally are associated or come with mid level or beginner congas or sets...Is hard to find 10 or 11 heads....

Apparently, manufacturers don't expect a buyer of that kind of set to be with it for a long time or that they will need wear they heads as somebody with a pro size will...Also, demand, that apparently more heads are needed for professional sizes, has something to do with it......Or, they want you to get use to play and go pro sizes and buy a new pro size.....Obviously, there has to be a catch! (Have to admit that the pro size for quinto is 11, however, the most widely used sizes are the conga 11 3/4 and tumbadora, 12 1/2. These are easier to find even in synthetic heads...)

Try the original manufacturer, mount your heads or look other sources... (Search the web)....

Remo was supposedly coming with synthetic heads for those mid-level/beginner sizes that are hard to find...Don't know if they are available out there...

We know is hard due to budget restrictions to go for the good quality set but something that should motivate you when you buy an instrument is the availability of parts or heads so you don't have the problem you are having...Also, if you are going serious, eventually, you will most like to get the pro size and there is the inconvenience to sell the beginner's set before buying the pro....Why not go for the good set from the get go..(WE KNOW IS HARD AND SOMETIMES NOT FORESEEN IN MOST SITUATIONS).

Saludos!

Edited By Raymond on 1114718098
Raymond

Return to CongaSet and accessories