How many Congas. 2 or 3.

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Chris D'Sylver » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:54 pm

Hello. A new member here. I'm intereseted to know how many of you players still use 2. drums ?, as 3. drums seems to be the norm at the moment.

Regards.

Chris. :)
Is everybody ready. . .Ok,...3. 4. and 1....
Chris D'Sylver

Postby Firebrand » Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:19 am

Depends on the gig and how motivated I am to lug around a third. :D

I honestly appraise myself as a "can do the job" conga player. However, I don't feel my fundamentals are good enough to be "showing off 3". I've flirted with 3 conga beats, and I honestly think that if you know your rhythms and can control your hands well, 3 congas is the way to go. That third conga really opens up your possibilities for different colors.

However, there is no rhythm that can't be done with 2. You can still get at least 3-4 OPEN hit colors on the congas (depending on how hard you hit the conga, angle, cuping of hands, etc.) And most rhythms that people do on 3 congas can be easily adapted to a 2-conga setting (and vice-versa).

For your regular, run of the mill accompaniment salsa gigs, go with 2, unless the group is small and everyone needs to "show off" a little...then bring the 3rd or 4th ones.

Consider your skill level, consider how much effort you want to put into a gig, consider the setting, and make a decision based on the aspects of the particular show.
Firebrand

Postby Chris D'Sylver » Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:46 pm

Many thanks for your reply man.

Regards.

Chris.
Is everybody ready. . .Ok,...3. 4. and 1....
Chris D'Sylver

Postby Firebrand » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:23 pm

I use two most of the time, but only because I'm not totally proficient in 3 yet...and don't want to make an ass of myself. I got this paranoia that there's always some hidden "giovanni hidalgo" type in the audience...whose giggling to himself on how much I screw three conga patterns. :D What can I say...I'm a drummer first...I'm trying to develop a capable conga technique...but I don't got the ambidextrous technique that is really needed to really take advantage of the third drum.

That being said, I am a BIG fan of 3 drum sets..I think that, in the right hands, they really can open up the tonal possibilities with Congas. There are just some really cool variations that can be done with three congas, that would take a lot of difficulty to reproduce on two (though you can sometimes do it).

but...since I haven't been playing any "show off like your Giovanni" gigs recently, I've stuck to two to mesh with the band and "do the job".

Don't even get me started on 4 congas...I happen to think that unless you got the technique of Giovanni or Richie Flores, don't try 4. First...it's not really needed...the 4th conga is pure color addition...it's not needed for certain variations (3 congas is enough for all conga variation needs).

So...stick with 2 until you got the fundamentals down, then start dabbing with the 3rd. Start with coming up with variations to Tumba and Rumba rhythms by adding certain "hits" on the third, to give it a different color.

Oh...and there is no such thing as a WRONG rhythm. Come up with your own, original variations...provided that they "flow" with the general rhythm that you are playing. I must have heard 10 different ways to play guaguanco...some with 2 and some with 3...so learn a few of the "traditions" or "established" variations...and then experiment.

have fun.

Edited By Firebrand on 1114698795
Firebrand

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:49 pm

I am currently working maily with 5 bands on a frequent basis.

My main band consists of 2 seperate bands. (muso's added or changed depending on band)

One band ("Armandito y Su Mecanica") play's original Cuban Timba as arranged by our band leader Armandito Garcia from Santiago de Cuba, formerly from Sonora de la Calle and also 'Lady Salsa', international showcase.
I play a 3 tumbadoras set up in this 8 -10 piece band (members pend on gig budget)

With this band, we also have an Auditorium show called Noche Cubana, it features the band, 8 dancers and an MC who narrates the story and tales of famous legendary cuban musicians and the tales of the how the genres were created and by who, its great. Here I play 3 conga set up.

In the other band (same line up as Armandito y Su Mecanica but with extra musicians (13 in total) play original tunes which vary in genre from Timba/Funk/Hip Hop/Reggae etc.
In this band ("Son Veneno") I play 2 tumbadoras set up, tambourine, shakers, chekere, bells, bata, cajon and other assorted intruments pending on what is required in each tune.

Another ensemble (20+ musicians) I work with plays a fusion of traditional Andean music, Mexican, and Cuban popular music. With this group (SONIDO), depending on what is required in the tune, I play 4-5 tumbadoras set up, bongo, bata, shakers, rainsticks, bells, cajon, bombo andino etc.

Another group I work with is a 5-6 piece Latin Jazz group ("Latin Jazz Baby") here I play 3-4 tumbadoras set up.

Other than that I freelance with other salsa/latin groups, funk, reggae, acid jazz ensembles where I will mainly play tumbadoras/bongo and other assorted hand percussion instruments.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Return to CongaSet and accessories