conga hheads

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby franc » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:48 am

can any one out there. tell me how good is the ''remo mondo type 4 fiberskyn 3, conga head'' i am about to change my conga head, but a little uncertain in which one. i want the best ''remo synthetic'' head posible. i have the giovanni series. thank you all out there áche!!!! :cool:
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby Tonio » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:34 pm

Franc try out the new tucked Nuskyns.
I am thinking about them.

T
Tonio

Postby franc » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:55 am

toni,
thanks , i'll do that. also i don't know some people like the tucked and other like the fyberskin. i guess it depends on the performer and where is to be played, the acoustic, i mean. i am waiting for more feedback on this issue before i buy. my best!!! keep drumming in san diego!!!! :D
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby Tonio » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:31 am

Franc, our own Raymond mentioned these 'tucked' heads here
http://www.westcoastdrumcenter.com/renuwopehe.html

Just scroll down alittle.:)

It seems to be a hybrid between the Fibsyn and nuskyn ""new"". So not many stores carry it yet.

I am seriously considering them, plus Im getting muleskin from Isaac.
Call me weird, but I'm always looking for that sound.

T

Edited By Tonio on 1110947545
Tonio

Postby OldGuyAl » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:49 pm

Isaac is great to work with!

He and I have been going back and forth trying to get a mula head for my quinto - we've been having a little problem with getting the sizing right. He's been super patient and we're about to try again.

I haven't tried any of the newest synthetics out there but, generally speaking, I really prefer the sound and the feel of real skins.
so, this is where you guys are?!
OldGuyAl

Postby Drumwoulf » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:01 pm

franc wrote:can any one out there. tell me how good is the ''remo mondo type 4 fiberskyn 3, conga head'' i am about to change my conga head, but a little uncertain in which one. i want the best ''remo synthetic'' head posible. i have the giovanni series. thank you all out there áche!!!! :cool:

Oh man, you have the beautiful Giovanni series congas and you wanna put synthetic heads on them?! You gotta be kidding! Get yourself some nice thick cowskins or go for a mule skin; I've tried them all, and IMO there's not a synthetic conga head made that even comes close to the good cool sound of skin!
Drumwoulf
Peace thru music...
Drumwoulf

Postby franc » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:36 am

drumwoulf, i have read in this forum that the remo heads are great for my giovanni conga head. i wish i can find mule skin , but over here is extremely hard if not imposible. if you know where i can get mule, please let me know, ok. i have the buffalo skin. do you believe that the remo synthetic is less than buffalo??? here in the forum they think very highly of the remo synth.. they have great sound, also i live in puerto rico and is kind of wet some times. i have to lower and tighten much often. that is another reason why i might mount the remo. thanks for your advice and comments ok, áche to you and all in this forum. my best!!! franc :)
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby OldGuyAl » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:30 am

Franc,

If you want skin heads, contact Isaac Gutwilik at Funky Traditions (or a few other suppliers that others on this board have recommended) - I'm sure he could ship to Puerto Rico. The synth heads might be a better choice for you. I personally do not like them and I do not like the buffalo heads, either. I firmly believe that head choice is a choice that you make based on a number of factors so there is no one head that is perfect for everyone. I also think that you should have different heads for different conditions - more than one set is what I am saying. So, you choose the heads and you choose your tuning for what and how and where you play.

Enjoy!
OldGuyAl

Postby franc » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:40 am

OLDGuyAL,
thanks a lot for the info. i will look into it. also about what kind of head i need, does make sense!! thanks again, ok. i only have one set of congas. maybe later on will get one set of fiberglass congas with different kind of skins. take care and heavy drumming in georgia!!!!! my best, your friend, franc :D
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby OldGuyAl » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:11 am

Franc,

Always nice to make new friends!

Many people can give you their opinions and maybe we will not all agree but, here is what I like:
- cow skin gives a wonderful warm tone, beautiful for tumba and conga; not so sharp for slaps but great for open and bass tones
- mule skin is sharper sounding - great slaps! depending on the thickness, it can sound as good as cow for open tones
- buffalo skin - great pops and slaps but a bit dull sounding for open tones
- synths, I don't know. sharper, I think and less warm but very good for volume and cutting through on live performances

so, what will suit your style and how you play?

it's a journey more than a destination, eh?
OldGuyAl

Postby Drumwoulf » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:46 am

OldGuyAl wrote:Many people can give you their opinions and maybe we will not all agree but, here is what I like:
- cow skin gives a wonderful warm tone, beautiful for tumba and conga; not so sharp for slaps but great for open and bass tones
- mule skin is sharper sounding - great slaps! depending on the thickness, it can sound as good as cow for open tones
- buffalo skin - great pops and slaps but a bit dull sounding for open tones
- synths, I don't know. sharper, I think and less warm but very good for volume and cutting through on live performances

Good description; gotta agree... But I've also found that most (if not all) synthetic heads allow far more ringing overtones... Also, with skin you can get a wide variety of tone simply by loosening and tightening the head... The synthetics, being much stiffer and less flexible, will not give nearly the range of tonal changes via tuning...

IMO the only thing synthetics are better at is playing outside in a heavy rainstorm! But, as someone has already said, to each his own. If you like synthetics, enjoy them...

Namaste,
Drumwoulf
Peace thru music...
Drumwoulf

Return to CongaSet and accessories