What Congas Do you Play and Why

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby OldGuyAl » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:45 pm

Thanks!

I have no thoughts of giving up - ever! I work my butt off playing with 2 local bands and I get lessons from a couple of master congueros and bongoceros whenever we can schedule the time.

I'm also working very hard on my bell playing, shekere, timbale, and everything else.

technique -> skills -> creativity -> musicality

I doubt that I'll ever be a master but I can fool most of the people most of the time. :p
so, this is where you guys are?!
OldGuyAl

Postby Supa Coopa » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:31 am

OldGuyAl wrote:Hey, y'all!

I'm playing LP Galaxy Giovanni series but not those crummy water buffalo heads - cow on the tumba and conga, (soon to be) mule on my quinto. I really like the LP shells and hardware but I firmly believe that it's the skins that make the difference - well, really it's the player that makes the difference but since I'm the only player that matters when it comes to spending my money...

I'm not at all an LP slave, though. I've played Tocas and Meinls that I have loved (but not owned). Those Mango congas (I've only seen them on their website) are gorgeous! I don't know if I'll ever see or play them in person but I would surely love to try them. Maybe one day, Mangos, or maybe I'll find some vintage Gon Bops or Sols.

Mostly, I just need to become a better player, no?

Aloha Al,

I'm so glad you are getting the "Volcano Percussion" vibration. The drums you saw are only 100 times more beautiful then the photos. The sound is magnificent and the hardware is the worlds finest. Just read the latest comment on the "Comments" page on V.P's site, that thanked the drum-maker for the incredible sound the drums produced, blending, but competing with a complete symphony without mics. Every Drum is an Original Al, Made in America and They Will Change Your Life. Take Rudy Mangual of Latin Beat Magazine for instance. He had put his love of playing percussion aside for quite a while, but when he decided to step-up to Volcano's, he went back to playing and now recording. It's wonderful the affect our drums are having on our family of congueros.

As we say here in Hawaii, Mahalo (thankyou) :;):
Tom Alexander
Supa Coopa

Previous

Return to CongaSet and accessories