Remo NuSkin vs. Remo Fiberskyn - help in choosing next set of heads

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Firebrand » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:01 pm

ok guys...here's the context of why I'm purchasing.

I've tried Evans heads...I didn't like their VERY muted sound...i just couldn't get the slaps and projection out of them that I get with Regular Heads...I guess it has to do with the Tri-Dot in the middle...too much muffling...which would be like using Remo Controlled Sound heads on your toms...no sustain, no projection (I use Remo CS on my snare drum, btw).

Back to congas...i recently performed with a Colombian conga player who used the Fiberskyns...and they sounded real good. The sound that I like...without the weaknesses of Real Heads (weather conditions, etc.). I was about to go with Fiberskyns, based on what he demonstrated to me, sonically speaking, but I've read here that the NuSkyns are a sort of upgrade to the Fiberskyns, and more geared toward more modern, louder, projective applications. My guess is that Fiberskyns are Remo's attempt to imitate the warmth and quality of real animal skins...where as NuSkyns are their "tinkeriing with sound to modernize it" heads.

Can someone give me a little more context on NuSkyns and Fiberskyns...

Keep in mind that they type of conga playing I do is usually 6-7 member groups...traditional salsa sections, and sometimes Drums-Conga percussion sections...so not a lot of "Barbarito Torres" type of small, intimate conjuntos. Based on that, give me your recommendations...NuSkyns or Fiberskyns...I'm done with Evans...I was disatisfied with their sound.
Firebrand

Postby Raymond » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:02 pm

Look at everything from their perspective and it will make sense.....

1- Remo Fyberskins are famous for the overtones...Is a thicker head that normally will give you more overtones and is a warmth sound. (For projection and volume in live situations, they are great)!

2- Evans comes out with their synthetic conga/bongo head and have less overtones...As a matter of fact, their promotion advertise of the control of said overtones. They are controlled in regards to sound but they are OK!

3- Remo NuSkyns are Remo's response to Evans but with the twist of having traditions rings on the heads on them, just like natural heads have, that are are supposedly better for tuning...They have less overtones than Remo Fyberskins and tend to give you a higher pitch....

4 - Now Remo is giving a more natural head feel and look to Fyberskins, just like NuSkyns they putting traditional rings and traditional wraps just like natural heads....These just came out and are currently advertised in Remo's site but appear they are not out in the market yet (at least not in all places...The "film" used for this is Remo's Type 3 which is the type for Fyberskins).

Which ones are better??? Well, depends what are you looking for....Like "warmer tones", lower pitch and overtones, that provides more volume, Remo Fyberskins are the heads to go. (Some people hate when they play Fyberskins all the overtones. However, they do not notice that the sound going out is great!). Less overtones and controlled sounds...Evans Conga/Bongo Heads or NuSkyns.....NuSkyns are been a hit because of their structure like natural heads with the traditonal ring that gives you a better chance to place them in the congas/bongos' rims. The complaint by most people of Fyberskins and Evans is their "trap drum" head ring and their problem in the fitting of the head in some models....Supposedly, NuSkyns deal with that with their "just like natural heads" wrap and traditional ring...However, it does not always fit OK in all congas!

In my opinion, you need to either try them yourself in the conga/bongo you want....

Remo is just trying to provide the "variety" we have in natural heads that is that thicker heads with warmer tones and thinner heads with less ovetones and higher pitches....Is just a matter of preference and Remo is trying to deal with it....It is obvious, based on Remo's new marketing with the Fyberskins in trying to look like natural heads like NuSkyns are, is to make them comparable and work the "kinks" on the Fyberskins...(problem in tuning, the drum type ring to tune tends to break, the "brownish" film peels off after awhile leaving the head in its natural color of white, etc, etc...)

This is just marketing and you need to distinguish and notice what is convenient for you...I am giving you some facts about the heads, for example, you notice what some people have that Evans heads do not project well, tuning, fitting, etc, but regarding sound you need make the choice yourself....As a comment, some congueros here in Puerto Rico, after going Evans and NuSkyns, are going back to Fyberskins because they project better and the sound is warmer like the congas are suppose to be....

I hope this helps! Give us your impressions after you test them..

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Berimbau » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:29 pm

Hey Raymond!
I have allready weighed in quite favorably on synthetic heads, so no need to repeat that post. Here's a new question. Should I crank the Remo heads down on my oak congas between gigs? I always do that with my muleskinned LPs. I do wonder if the shell will go out of round and egg out after a while? Still, being fat, fifty, and as lazy as my Mississippi coon dog, I'd really rather not. This is why I put 'em on in the first freekin' place. Please advise.

Saludos,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:54 am

<< Based on that, give me your recommendations...NuSkyns or Fiberskyns...I'm done with Evans...I was disatisfied with their sound.>>

I would go with Fiberskyns, Evans do not float my boat. Food for thought, Giovanni Hidalgo endorses Evans.

Edited By RitmoBoricua on 1109033843
RitmoBoricua

Postby Firebrand » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:12 am

Giovanni may endorse the Evans heads (cause they are now LP), but my personal observation is that Giovanni prefers regular skin. I think Giovanni is still very "traditionalist" in his gear selection.

However, to be quite honest...Giovanni plays whatever you put in front of him... :D He'll play a box...if that's what's there...hahahaha....and make it sound good too! When on tour, he doesn't always get a choice...unless he places a call to the LP guys to have a set waiting for him at the event. When I played with him, although we tried getting drums from LP, the timing was too late...so he just picked my congas and a friends...The only thing he asked of me is if I had LP drums, Yamaha Drums, and Zildjian cymbals. I think he's got to play those types of instruments...according to his contract. Luckily, I got LP congas, Yamaha Drums...but Sabian cymbals. He just shrugged and said, "bueno...que se joda...pa la rumba, hermano". :D With all the fame he's garnered...Giovanni is still a rumbero of the streets...and very humble (unbelievably humble and nice).

I think I'll check out the Fiberskyns then...I don't like the congas being too high tuned...but I do like to get that "open overtone" sound that you get when you hit the conga hard and strategically cupped (in the hands). With the Evans...I could get closed slap, open slap, open tone, muted tone...but not the "crack open"...it was too controlled.

Edited By Firebrand on 1109035019
Firebrand

Postby Firebrand » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:24 am

http://www.remo.com/portal/products/3/12/115/196/fi_tucked.html

It seems Remo is selling Fiberskyns with the "tucked" aspect to it...for those who complained of "drum ring". I could be wrong...but it looks like they are trying to make the Fiberskyn be more like a regular head.

http://www.remo.com/portal/products/3/12/116/263/nu_tucked.html

That seems to be the NuSkyn "tucked".

So I guess there is Fiber and Nuskyn flavors of the "tucked" heads. I think I might have to go with that...because my traditional rims had problems with one of the Evans (that have the metal drum ring) and wouldn't "grab" the ring well...leading to the unplanned "twisting" of the head...The more "cuero edge" on the head...the better for my rims :D
Firebrand

Postby Raymond » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:42 am

Berimbau,

My experience with synthetic heads with congas is that since the tuning for congas does not require that much "tightening" (it tends to be low), they do not put that much pressure into the shell of the congas. Neither they require to be "detuned" after each gig The tuning tends to hold pretty good for the next gig. Although, eventually the will "loosen" a little bit after awhile due to the "holding period" or the pressure put while playing.

However, with bongos, I have another experience....The tuning in my bongos, that is "salsa's current high tuning" which requires more tightening or tuning in comparison with the congas, do not hold that well...As a matter of fact, I have had synthetic heads breaking on me during gigs because they tend to "loosen" a little bit and I have tune my bongos because it lost their tuning... What I have done is to "loosen" the synthetic heads in my bongos after each gig...(Not as much as with natural heads. Just a couple turns). Remember, not doing it because damage to the shell, actually is because the head loses its tuning and I am constantly tuning it and of course, the heads have a limit....

Also, with Pearl Elite's since Fiberskyns do not fit perfect on the macho, have to be careful that the head tuning ring does break because of the uneven pressure on the head ring. (Sorry, I try to put them "even" but is hard sometimes).

I hope helps!

Saludos!

Edited By Raymond on 1109036756
Raymond

Postby Berimbau » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:11 pm

Now I know why everybody loves Raymond. Thanks a lot, my friend. I appreciate the very good advice. Bongo on!

Saludos.

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:44 am

Firebrand wrote:Giovanni may endorse the Evans heads (cause they are now LP), but my personal observation is that Giovanni prefers regular skin. I think Giovanni is still very "traditionalist" in his gear selection.

However, to be quite honest...Giovanni plays whatever you put in front of him... :D He'll play a box...if that's what's there...hahahaha....and make it sound good too!

Mas claro no canta un gallo! :)
RitmoBoricua

Return to CongaSet and accessories