In search for Mics

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby pidoca » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:40 am

Gday,

Have you tried the CAD range of micrphones.

thay are very good. Go for the stubby short one, When I was lookinf ofr mics I asked someof my studio owner friends and they all said the choice (think budget) As long as you get a mic that can handle the transient peaks that drums produce. Congas by nature produce transient sounds; that is short sharp snappy, as apposed to a tom tom, that can ring out for 3 seconds.

The SM57 was originally made as a vocal mic, it does have excellent transient qualities. Mmost manufacturers have a rnage of mics that do the job. I have found the CAd range of mics to be of excellent quality TSM 411. With great natural reproduction of the drums.

GOd BLess
Pidoca
http://www.cabritamusic.com
pidoca

Postby Tonio » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:18 am

Pablo,
most mixers do have pre amps. for dynamic mics, just plug em in the mic input, they do take alot of gain. with condensors you need phantom power. Most decent mixers-even small ones have phantom power.

i am not familiar with the mics you had a link on. But a Shure Sm57 would do the trick in a pinch , and they are cheap. If you use in drum mounted mics, you need to know what you are doing. Dealing with phase and it probably will not sound like you want. You will lose the high nd e.g. slap, and it will sound hollow.

as far as a mixer goes , you can get a small mixer-Mackie 1202, 1402 or Yamaha Mg series. You should get extra cables to go from your mixer to feed the FOH(house) mixer to go into the PA. Don't use seperate PA systems, it would get too complicated.

sorry it so long.

T

Edited By Tonio on 1106104865
Tonio

Postby smidogg » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:41 pm

Pablo
I personally us a behringer 8 channel mixer with my percussion set. I believe it is the MX2004. It is difinately the best move I could have made. I use 4 E604's 2 AKG condensors and a floor mic that I place on the peice of plywood underneath my congas. The floor mic pics up the bass that is lost by having the congas on the floor (as opposed to an internal mic). When I set up I just plug all the channels to my mixer, Check my levels and send a stereo Left and Right to ths sound guy. It takes a little practice to get the EQ the way I wanted it, but now its amazing. Also I get my full setup in the monitors and it makes the sound guy very happy which is always a good thing.
smidogg

Postby windhorse » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:51 pm

Thanks for the addition to the thread Pablo!
I just sent an e-mail to May about their internals..
My problem is that in the loud stage band situation when I've got three quiet Mahogany congas, and I'm next to the bass player and kit drummer,,, my sound just gets smothered. Not only that, I sit with the two lower drums in front of my knees positioned more stage front than the quinto between the legs. This means that when I'm crossing between the two low drums,, an external mic if closely placed,, is in the way!
Seems like internal might be the way to go.

Curious to see what they're going to say.
If you get them, please post a review, and the same here.
windhorse

Postby windhorse » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:12 pm

Well, after reading that internal mics have to be permanentaly affixed to the wood of your drum,,, I've changed my mind on the whole idea..

Yesterday just bought a set of three Sennheiser's, the EGO4 Drum Mic 3-Pack from Musician's Friend. They'll clip on the outside ring with the lowest profile I've seen with externals.
windhorse

Postby OldGuyAl » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:37 pm

I'm using AKG C1000S overhead on my congas, bongos, and percussion rack - I use long booms that can swing to put them closer to what I am going to be playing on any given song. I just use 2 mics like that. As a backup, I use a CAD condenser - can't remember the model but it's one of the large diaphram (sp?) models. If I ever had the opportunity to use all 3 at a gig, I would put the CAD under my congas (I play 3 on an LP triple stand) to get the bass but, I've never had a chance to try it.

Reading this thread is interesting - every pro that I talked with before choosing mics told me the same thing: "don't mic just the heads because that's not where you get the sound of drum - don't close-mic conga heads". You guys seem to prefer that. I have done that at one gig when the sound man just insisted on it and my drums sounded like shoeboxes - that could have just been the PA in that club or the soundman was a doofus.

I don't claim to be an expert on this - just following the advice of the experts I've talked with and I've been very pleased with the results.
so, this is where you guys are?!
OldGuyAl

Postby bllazo » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:14 pm

Hello everybody...
Im playing four congas so I will use two mic....Im looking
for sm57 or beta 56a..I had read about the problems with
sm57 if they are used with clamp... the price is similarly
in my country, about 100EUR.Somebody help me please...
thank ya
bllazo

Previous

Return to CongaSet and accessories