matador vs. lp

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby roland » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:36 am

here's a follow up to an earlier post:

Does anyone know if there is a real difference between the 28" matador (fiber) and the standard lp "original model" conga: sound, thickness of fiberglass ...

I've never got the chance to try out the "original model". They cost quite a bit more than the matador fiberglass, and I wonder if they are worth the money. The only differerence I know (apart from hardware features - comfort curves etc.) is the additional metal ring at the top (bearing edge) of the drum.

roland
roland frauenberger
roland

Postby Raymond » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:22 am

My understanding is that LP and Matador, their conga drums are essentially the same. What makes the difference is the hardware used, the quality of the finishes inside the drum, quality of heads, etc. (Check some threads here in which we discuss this thoroughly). I think the classic wood congas and classic fiberglass are essentially the same in each brand. Of course, the LP brand has supposedly the better quality in those areas I mentioned!

In regards to bongos, Matador's are LP's first generation bongos with low quality heads (Not made anymore by LP). The timbales are not the same. (Matador still offers a cheap version with a cowbell holder that is the worst).

People are realizing that Matador is a good choice, and Matador is doing very good in sales in comparison to the LP brands because Matador is cheaper. If you notice the Matador line has been expanding during the last couple of years and closing the gap in the variety offered in their drums.

From a marketing standpoint, that is my observation, LP is using Matador as the line to respond what other brands are doing. I've notice LP is sort of upgrading and doing the "innovative" part of the business. Notice the Matador Custom line that responds to Meinl and Pearl's Primero lines. What LP (or Karman to that effect) is going to do regarding marketing with Matador and the LP brand is going to be interesting!

Matador has gotten so good that some of LP's endorsers do not mind been seen using Matador products.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby dannydrumperc » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:48 pm

I had an edition of LP's catalog where it explained the differences in shell contruction within each line. I think that it's current version should has a similar (if not the same) section. There are not to many diferences; good quality wood vs. top quality wood or diferent kinds of reinforcements in the fg shells. Mostly cosmetic features.

Go to your local LP dealer and ask for the catalog.
dannydrumperc

Postby catherine » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:03 am

Hi- I don't have experience on both LP classics and matadors congas, but I have the LP classic congas and matador bongos, and unless the matador design of rims has improved, the "comfort curve" in the classics is completely worth the extra dough! Don't skimp on your hands.
Catherine
catherine

Postby Tonio » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:57 am

Good analagy Raymond!! Are you in Marketing also?

IMO the Lp's have better(or choice) wood. and they have metal pins between the wood staves vertically to strengthen I suppose. and also some fiberglass to strenghten in the inner shell. The sad part about the metal pins is that if you drop the timbadora, the pins and/or fiberglass can get dislodged/crack. Depending on the the severness of the crack it may lodge the pins to vibrate when striking the head. I have seen(heard) this in some LP classics.
wood as you know is tempermental, and held together be various means.
sometimes care of the drum is very important. LP has strive to make it strong, but handling the drum is another topic.

T

Edited By Tonio on 1106110793
Tonio

Postby roland » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:42 am

thanks for replies!

of course I've read the recent lp catalog - unfortunately it doesn't say anything about shell construction

The only thing that would make a difference for me would be the thickness of the fiberglass as this would affect the sound of the drum, I guess the shape is quite the same. Does anyone know if there is such a difference?

thanks roland
roland frauenberger
roland

Postby Raymond » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:07 pm

Although I cannot confirm it, when you buy Matador you are buying something LP has already tried in their "elite" line, LP. Example is that the current comfort rims in Matador's line is LP's original first generation comfort rims. Of course, LP has a much better comfort rims.

Marketing? No but I know a little bit about it. LP is "basking" in their fame as a recognized and reliable brand. The Matador line, that is used to be a midlevel-beginner's line, is moving towards been an option to professionals and is expanding their line of instruments. The prices in the Matador line are very competitive and their quality is improving making them a real alternative to consider. LP???? I see LP becoming like a "Mercedez Benz" line for those who are willing to pay the price for quality and name.

Personally, I only recommend their Matador congas. Their bongos are OK but not as good sounding as LP's Generation II and III. Their cowbells are so, so. Their timbales....they need big improvement in them...they still feel cheap and should not be considered by those who want to go serious.

Roland, if you want something with outstanding quality then go LP. Of course, you will pay the price. Matador has some "flaws", unseen to some and sometimes not, but is a good option for budget buyers.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby dannydrumperc » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:05 pm

Here you may find some answers to your questions:

http://www.lpmusic.com/Product_Showcase/pdf/03-congas.pdf

Hope it serves you. I believe the only difference between the LP Original and the Matador is the steel bearing edge.

Edited By dannydrumperc on 1106237511
dannydrumperc

Postby smidogg » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:22 am

I currently use a wood Matador quinto with a set of wood Lp CLassics (Conga/Tumba). This is the result of a slow upgrade from my Matadors to Classics. The origional head on my Matador quinto was awesome but after it died I put an LP classic head on it and It was even more amazing (after a few months of love). Quite honestly other than the difference in appearance the Matador matches the Classics in feel and sound. Personally if you are on a budget or becomming an intermediate player go with the Matadors they will treat you great for years.
smidogg

Return to CongaSet and accessories