Caliente / Matador  (same>different names)? - LP "brands" ?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby clownmanus2000 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:44 am

I want to ask if the LP Conga brands "Caliente" and "Matador" are the same thing with different names, I dont see Caliente on the LPmusic.com site,
Is Caliente a Sam Ash brand , IM interested in the similaraty of prices and the fact that SAm ASh does not carry Matador Congas.
clownmanus2000
clownmanus2000

Postby Raymond » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:34 pm

LP has some brands like Caliente and Fuego that are sold to some stores. Apparently, they are not official lines with continuity since they do not have anything official in any of their catalogs or even their site.

The Caliente and Fuego lines are intended for beginners who want more than the official LP Aspire. The quality is better than Aspire but not as good as Matador. Difference with Matador is a less quality hardware and perhaps the quality o the wood but is in essence the same material. In congas they come with professional sizes are good alternatives for those on a budget. (Don't bother with anything besides the congas). Please note that LP is upgrading their Matador line with features that makes them a better deal than LP. Matador, with the exception of their timbales and cowbells, are good enough to be played professionally.

Prices??? Obviously Caliente and Fuego are much cheaper than Matador. Specifically do not know but you could compare in the internet.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby clownmanus2000 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:54 am

Thanks for the input.
Im closing in on some Calientie 11 and 12 in inch with stand set . used,
Im still wondering what its gonna take to get someone to do some industrial espienoge inside LP.
I was not aware of the other brand you mentioned.
As fare as i can tell the calientie are a "sam ash" brand, do you know who is distributing the other you mentioned?
I was under the impression the hardware was a bit less substantial on the Calenties . the shell seems to be an excelent looking as well as sounding instrument.
I think im under survailance by the locals here so ill update you on what i end up paying for the Calienties.
clownmanus2000

Postby CongaCaja » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:02 pm

I don't think that you need a spy within LP factory. What Raymond said is true regarding the differences between the store brands ( Calientes, Fuegos and Performer Series ) and the Matadors.

A couple of years ago, I was curious so I called the LP headquarters, the receptionist connected to someone who could answer my "design/manufacturing questions". He just said that these store brands are better than Aspire but not as good as Matador. Specifically, he referred to the hardware ...thinner lugs and different rims.

Btw, LP now has two lines of Matadors. Matador Customs have black-coated hardware and cost less then regular Matadors (which have chrome hardware)

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby clownmanus2000 » Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:58 pm

I payed $197.00 for the 11 and 12 inch calentie's with stand, (used)
minor cosmetic damage one small chip out of the wood,
I am enjoying these drums, the recomendation to go for a tumba was welcome , no matter what is said, i stll think i got a good deal and though the hardware is visably lighter-duity, i always prefer used gear and the lack of paranoia associated with having gear you dont mind banging around a little outweighs the prestige factor.
ill take your word for it, these are one step up from Aspire.
clownmanus2000

Postby Dantino » Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:15 pm

I also have a pair of Calientes that I purchased after having a pair of player series TOCA.s 9" and 10". My teacher showed me the basics and advised me to get a better pair of congas. I am pretty happy with the Calientes. Even though that is all that I could afford with my budget.I am saving my pennies so that I can get an even better set. What do you all recommend me getting with about $500-$700.;) ;)
Dantino

Postby dannydrumperc » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:53 pm

I have a Matador quinto & conga set I bought for $500. The M Customs were selling for about the same price w/stand, but I didn't liked the colors, and I already had a stand (the one from my Aspire set - it fits and withstands the extra weight).

I still have my Aspires for practicing, but Matador are excellent drums (the timbales too - I have them). The only thing I don't like about them are the heads because of the lack of good mid frequencies; but that could fixed with new heads.
dannydrumperc

Postby Berimbau » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:20 pm

In addition to the Matador line, it seems that a lot of the commercial conga drums (as opposed to custom drums) are coming out of Thailand these days. I recently saw some impressive photos of the LP facillity in Thailand on Martin Cohen's web page. I have been out of touch with him for over a decade, and am not even sure what his official position in the firm is these days, so this disqualifies me as an LP insider. What I wonder is, are the bulk of commercial tumbadoras coming from this same factory? A lot of "different" drum brands seem to be made in Thailand (where doubtless labor is cheaper), many of the drum shells seem standardized (perhaps with different grades of wood used), and of course, the ubiquitous curse of crappy hardware. Although many of these drum shells are quite nice for the low price, I don't like comfort curve! Any other opinions?

Percussively Yours,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Return to CongaSet and accessories