Undecided on what's best..HELP?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby sabrosona » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:29 am

I 'm looking for a new set of congas and I'm not sure which ones to buy..
What I've taken under concideration is sound, durability and price.

I've come down to 4 models, 2 wood ones and 2 fiberglass:

LP ACCENTS
LP GALAXY fiberglass

or

LP SALSA
LP CLASSIC

Question 1:
Which is more likely to stand the test of time (and hitting, dropping etc etc), wood or fiberglass??

Question 2:
I have played both accents and galaxy, but although galaxy looked sturdy enough, accents didn't quite cut it. But I LOVED playing the accents..!

Question 3:
LP salsa have a wider bottom and are shorter that your average conga.
Since I play seated most of the time, maybe this would be convenient for when wanting to give bass strokes?

Question 4:
LP classic are supposed to be a must. How different is their sound to the Salsa ones (I've never played the salsa ones) and in what ways?

Please answer me... anyone? :O

OH! And belated Merry Christmas! :D
La música empieza donde se acaba el lenguaje.
sabrosona

Postby Cuidado » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:32 am

Hi,
I think that Fiberglass Congas are the most resistant.
But the Classic or Salsa congas have a warm sound and they are made with a great quality.
I enjoy playing with the Classics.
But I haven't got these.:(
They are more adaptable than the Salsa models.
Hasta pronto
Cuidado

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:42 am

Hey Sabrosona!

I only just noticed this thread, but yeh, refer to what we discussed on msn! Pretty much covered it all! :)

Let me know with what you decide in the end.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby montezuma » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:51 am

Hola Sabrosona!
I have been played all congas model you mentionet. I personaly prefer wood congas. I don't see any difference between salsa and classic congas. Salsa is offcourse shorter. Fiberglass conga doesn't have this nice warm sound. Ther are a lot of "neighbourhood" sounds, aliquot tones. But the durability of fiberglass is longer then the wood. I've seen many LP wood congas with a edge like an egg.
Saludos!
montezuma

Postby sabrosona » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:29 pm

Gracias a todos por sus respuestas!

I hit downtown today and went to a few drumshops... I didn't find the salsa or the classic LP model but I did find all the LP fiberglass ones.. and they actually sounded worse than I remembered...lol

So, I've decided to go for the SALSA ones, since I play seated (did u know they are actually more expensive than the classic ones? No idea why...). I CAN'T wait to bring em home and set em up!!

I also noticed that a pair of Remo bongos I played with once (and loved them) were left on a stand.. so I told them not to go anywhere until I can find the $$ to go get them! lol

I feel so relieved! :D
sabrosona

Postby Cuidado » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:55 pm

Hola Sabrosona,
the price is the same between Classic or Salsa.
Good choice.
Hasta pronto.
Cuidado

Postby Raymond » Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:16 am

Sabrosona,

The LP Salsa model is sometimes hard to find...There are other posts in which we discuss the pros and cons of wood and fiberglass...One thing...be aware, and hopefully you notice that, that the congas in a store are normally not tuned.....Beware that based on your hands, etc, etc, your tuning might not be someone else's tuning...(Some people will argue that in most cases it will not matter: a good tuning is good for everyone but is not the case always....)

Have you tried Pearl Elites?????? The wood models are excellent choice for a good price....If you want fiberglass and want to play seated...try the new Pearl Elite Bobby Allende Signature congas...They are in fiberglass and are 28 inches tall for the seated player.....One thing...they come with Remo Fyberskins from the factory...If you like synthetic heads, that I personally like, you have a good deal there.... I think you should check the Pearl outs...The LPs are good but .....

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Cuidado » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:19 am

Hi all,
I've seen that the price of Pearl Elite has increased this year.
Last year, I tried wood pearl Elite and I found these wonderful.
I bought Elite congas, but three times they were cracked.
So, I haven't got Pearl Elite and I don't know what I could choose in order to have a good sound.
Do you know if Toca Custom Deluxe are good congas?
Hasta la proxima.
Happy new year.
Cuidado

Postby sabrosona » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:21 am

Oh I have tried them out but their sound wasn't as rich as I wanted it.. I like deep bass sounds - pearl's congas' sound was a bit shallow (they were just tuned when I tried them..). But thanks anyway :cool:
sabrosona

Postby Isaac » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:02 pm

I will be at the NAMM show in Anaheim, CA (20-23) in a few
weeks. I'll check out all the congas and try to do a brief
review of whats new.
~ ISAAC ~

funkytradition@yahoo.com
percussionist / rep. for JCR Percussion Co. :cool:
Isaac

Return to CongaSet and accessories