4 or 5 conga setup

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby montezuma » Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:49 am

Hola!
I really want to know how to make a set up wtih 4 and 5 congas. Now I put the fourth conga (tumba 2) oposite the quinto, tumba on my right and conga on the left. How should I tune the second tumba? Are there any rules? When I play with 5 congas, I add the second quinto to the 4 conga setup between second tumba and conga (on my left side) and I tune it very high - like rumba quinto. I think that such set up of 5 congas I saw also in the movie - Calle 54, when a man (sorry I don't remember his name) who was playing a trumpet, played also 5 congs! But I saw in the video by Angel Diaz "Anga" that he tunes and makes a set up of his congas in other way. When he plays congas he put the quinto central, tumba left, conga right, and second tumba oposite the quinto. When Anga plays 5 congas he adds one more tumba which is tuned lower then the second tumba. Maybe you have any sugestion. What the best set up for 4 and 5 congas in salsa music? Mayby in other kinds of music - jazz, chillout, the set up sholud be modificated? I'm right handed.
montezuma

Postby ABAKUA » Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:17 am

Greetings Montezuma.

Firstly, the man you speak of in Calle54 is Jerry Gonzalez, brother of bass player Andy. Jerry G. plays both trumpet and congas. His set up arrangement is not an uncommon one, though I find it impractible for my personal style. Much respect to him though.

Now, in 'Salsa" 4 or 5 congas have no place in my opinion, I like to use a maximum of 3 for Salsa bands. I am right handed, I play with a conga in the centre, conga to the right tuned as a tumba and a super tumba to the left tuned even lower than a normal tumba. In salsa you need to hold the groove and be solid, not be opening up all over the place..

However, I also play with latin jazz and descarga bands amongst other styles, and when I work with these groups, then yes I play a 4 or 5 conga configuration in a similar set up to Anga. ie I use a quinto in the centre, tuned to a central type sound, not overly high. A conga to the right, tuned as a tumba. A conga directly infront of the quinto, tuned a balance in tone between the low drum on my right and the quinto. To the left I will have my super tumba tuned as the lowest of all drums. Virtually identical to Anga's configuration. My tuning method/choice of tone is also based from the school of Tata Guiness and Anga and Jose Luis Quintana aka Changuito.

As for your question on how to tune your drums, if you are playing latin jazz, salsa, descarga etc etc I would follow the tuning method of what you have seen on this Anga video.

However, as for your method of configuration set up, use what is best for you.
Anga's set up and Jorge 'El NiƱo' Alfonso (R.I.P) set up along with Tata is what suits my method of playing and is also the method in which I first began my learning so many years ago.

Hope my post is of some help to you.

:)

Edited By ABAKUA on 1103974448
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby montezuma » Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:50 pm

Thanks Abakua! I'll try to set up my congas like you. But in Anga set up, he puts his tumba on his left, conga on his right and super tumba in fronto of the quinto (which is in the center). So he plays the basic montuno pattern on the quinto and on the tumba. It is really dificult to play it on the left side. Acording to the salsa set up. You're right. I prefer 3 or even 2 conga set up. But I asked about the 4 and 5 conga set up, becouse I find it really interessting in latin jazz, nu jazz and other kinds of music.
Saludos and Marry Christmas!
montezuma

Return to CongaSet and accessories