larger congas

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Snake » Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:57 pm

I've read on some of the reviews at Music123's web site and it seems that a lot of people have trouble with the overtones and a metallic sound from the smaller drums like the quinto and the requinto. Some even suggest that you have 2 tumbas and 1 conga or 2 congas and 1 tumba for your setup. Even in LP's top Giovanni congas, there are posted problems with the 2 smaller sizes.

So do the larger drums have a better sound to them if tuned to the same pitch as the smaller drums? Say you tuned a conga and a quinto to the same pitch. Will the larger drum sound fuller and richer given everything else equal? Or are there other dynamics at work which make the smaller drum an advantage to have? If the bigger drums sound better, then why don't these companies start there line at 11 3/4" and go on up to say 15"?

I can see the common sense in hauling a 10" drum to the park over a 15" drum just from the logistics aspect, but if you are planning on using them in a home or church where they will be stationary for extended periods, should the set be designed around the larger drums? Or is the overtone issues more of a freak circumstance, and if you tune it different or use some type of lubricant for the head, the problem disappears?
Snake

Postby 1964 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:02 am

btt

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:05 pm

These smaller drums ie quinto and requinto are designed to be tuned high - for quinteo (solo) usage in rumba etc etc.
Body is substantially smaller and skins generally thinner.
They will not reproduce the sound a larger drum with thicker skin could produce.

For latin band ensemble, the quinto has no place.
Changuito himself belted the quinto idea out of me hehehe.

For latin band enseble I use LP CLassic, 2 x 11, 3/4" congas and 1 x 12" tumba.
Awesome warm tones, no ugly overtones, my conga can be tuned to sound like a quinto if I decide to go to a rumba jam or comparsa type ensemble jam.

I have recently upgraded to a second set of tumbas as part of an endorsement and chose the LP Palladium congas, again,
I went with 2 x 11. 3/4" congas and 1 x 14.5" super tumba (which is huuuge :D ) as seen here below with Giovanni:

When tuned properly, these drums, in my opinion, sound so much better than any conga I have ever had the opportunity of playing, from any of the LP, Meinl or Pearl series.

They also stand at 32" tall and slightly wider than standard LP drums. I am very happy with the tones and soound projection of these drums.

What genre of music do you mostly work in and what is your current set up?

Edited By ABAKUA on 1103832756
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby 1964 » Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:32 am

Thanks ABAKUA!

Return to CongaSet and accessories