Meinl Woodcraft Series - Buy or not to buy

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby GuruPimpi » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:26 am

Hello everybody!

I'm thinking to buy new Meinl's Woodcraft series Congss (Quinto and Conga).

I played on old 'german oak' series, which sound I like a lot, but friend who has them, told me just a day ago that his congas have developed 'eggy', oval form of the top.

The new series are made from american white ash, and have six lugs for tightening the skin, not five like old series. What do you think and what do you propose to do to avoid congas becoming 'eggy' form?

Thanks a lot

GuruPimpi

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... _ZFA_M.jpg
GuruPimpi

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:58 am

Hi there Guru,

Do you play 'Salsa' style music? I think you would be better off with a conga and tumba combo as apposed to the quinto...
Warmer and deeper tones are achieved..

Warping "egging" of the drum could be a result of numerous reasons, such as...

Keeping the drum tuned tightly when not in use.. Big no no. This will warp the head of the drums much quicker than normal, always have them untuned and loose when not in use, untune immediatel;y after every gig/rehearsal to preserve the shape and skin.
Having the drum on stands that clip on to the side of the drum will also make them warp after years of use..
Poor quality wood warping under the stress if tightness via skin also.

Top of the line MEINL is excellent quality, however, I only use LP drums.

Edited By ABAKUA on 1102562609
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby GuruPimpi » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:18 am

Abakija, Hello!

It's my first forum and I can't sleep (it's 4:00 am here), had a gig last night and I was awake... Nevermind:)

Thanks for giving me the tip about the sizes, i'll reconsider, but the thing is that I already have a home made cuban conga (no brand and possibly very old, but I like the sound of it a lot- warm). The reason why I am buying Quinto and Conga is, cause i like more 'attacky' sound, I don't play in any salsa or latin band- but I like it; I am playing for some pop rock bands and my band is more of a jazz, ethno and fusion.
I had a some problems with Meinl proffesional series tumba, cause it had too much sustain sound, and also with Lp classic tumba (during the recordings in studios)...

A, the english expression is WARPING, ok, see my friend did all that, we always tune down the skin...
I think that this can also appear if you store or play your congas near the source of fire/warmth... After all it is wood...

What do you think about the kevlar,'' inside the drum protection'' against the warping? One of my teachers has made that with his friend to his congas! Nice to remind myself!

Abakija, Groove On and Prospere!

GuruPimpi
GuruPimpi

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:28 am

Due to your styles of music you play, have you ever considered LP Patato congas? Fibreglass congas if tuned correctly, can be THE drum to use for those styles.
Shop around, tune and jam for a while, choose whatever you like best.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Raymond » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:12 pm

This Woodcraft series in ash wood is like the Meinl Mongo Santamaria Signature Series. (Do not know if after Mongo's death they continue to have them). Anyway, the Woodcraft series appear to have traditional rims instead of Meinl's version of the comfort rim that the Mongo's had.

Anyway, if you like Kevlar in your congas, LP's Galaxys in fiberglass have them. Have them and they sound great! Based on the genres you play you might be better off with Fiberglass, because of the volume, instead of wood unless you prefer wood.

Warping happens more often with fiberglass specially if you leave them tuned in a place that the temperature is high. (I've seen the hardware give up on the fiberglass because of that). Also, when you use thick heads with wood congas and leave the heads tuned, warping happens a lot.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby GuruPimpi » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:56 pm

Thank You all a lot for giving me your side of hearing and seeing things about my question. It got me intrigued by the LPs congas, especially cause i got 2 advices for choosing fibercraft congas, considering the fact what kind of music i play most. In a past i had two fiberglass drums (quinto and conga), but i was not satisfied with them (they were already used and warped) and the sound was weak and slim (not warm and fat), must have been because of the abusive handling from the owner.

Anyway, first I'll get myself a LPs compact conga (for a little acoustic set up) and Meinl's Woodcraft congas (i have a good offer in a store), and in the future i'll be watching for LP's fiberglass (Patato or Galaxy) Must try!!!

Thanks again and let's share the groove on!!!

Primoz

P.S. Unbelievable and amazing forum!!! The best!

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... imo_2b.jpg
GuruPimpi

Postby GuruPimpi » Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:47 pm

GuruPimpi wrote:Thank You all a lot for giving me your side of hearing and seeing things about my question. It got me intrigued by the LPs congas, especially cause i got 2 advices for choosing fibercraft congas, considering the fact what kind of music i play most. In a past i had two fiberglass drums (quinto and conga), but i was not satisfied with them (they were already used and warped) and the sound was weak and slim (not warm and fat), must have been because of the abusive handling from the owner.

Anyway, first I'll get myself a LPs compact conga (for a little acoustic set up) and Meinl's Woodcraft congas (i have a good offer in a store), and in the future i'll be watching for LP's fiberglass (Patato or Galaxy) Must try!!!

Thanks again and let's share the groove on!!!

Primoz

P.S. Unbelievable and amazing forum!!! The best!

Hello again!

Must say that I experienced good and bad thing in the music store, where I wanted to buy myself a LP's Gio's compact conga... The store ran out of it :angry: but.... in the store were Matador Fiberglass congas, which were left tuned... :) hmmm... must say that fiberglass congas left and made a new impression which overrides my ''till yesterday fiberglass experience''... Really loud, present and soft tone at the same time... I had my ''goodbye grief therapy'' with them and then went out of the store... even more confused... :)

One thing is definite; if I don't get my Meinl's, I'm heading to fiberglass (must try Meinl's and other LP's fiberglass series).

Groove against the cold in winter time!

Primoz
GuruPimpi

Return to CongaSet and accessories