Which Conga is better between the following? - Need help in selecting

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby TampabayRey » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:46 pm

Hi, I need your help in choosing one of these set as a present...If you had the chance to own one of these set.

1. LP 40th Anniversary

2. LP Giovanni Galaxy or Palladium

3. LP Galaxy Fiberglass

4. LP Classic

5. Pearl Elite

Thanks to all

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... 88364-help
Rey
TampabayRey

Postby Raymond » Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:55 pm

It depends what you actually want. Various considerations have to be pondered. Example: looks, style of the conga, sound, quality and above all budget. They are all related.

My comments about each model"

1 - LP 40th Anniversary - This is a classic wood LP conga with special hardware and designed. (Do not know the price but they might be more expensive that the classic wood conga or even the Matadors).

Its hardware is colored gold. Regarding the hardware, you have to deal with gold harware that requires more care. Has a special design like "fire" in red......Things to ponder....Are you willing to have a special model that later will look "tacky" or you think you could live this special edition in 5 years. Do you like special editions... Please note that LP had a 35 anniversary edition in fiberglass that I saw many at the time, specially after they had to sell them cheap because apparently the color, a light blue with highlights ala galaxy fiberglass, and the price was not liked and the price was higher than the classic fiberglass congas that were the same congas. The same happened with a Millenium edition, in a "pinkish" red). These could be a good bargain if they are models out there and the 40th anniversary is long gone.

2 - LP Giovanny and/or Palledium - These are the top of the line of LP. Expensive for some.....Both made of Ash wood which is more expensive. Also have gold hardware, I think, in most models. Great sounding congas and are durable. With Giovanny you get the "Patato" sound, because they are made of the Patato style with a small mouth, which is sharper higher tones. (Seated players don't like them because is hard to get volume sometimes while seated. Great for stands though).

The Palledium models are made in a style that resemble the "old home made barrels type" conga. Great looking congas. However, here you get more "bassy tones" old school congas but you will pay a price...Have a fear that the palledium congas might go the way of the "dodo" and might be hard to find parts. Questions here, willing to pay for top of the line and get a sound some will notice and most will not. Are you willing to go with the look of the Pallediums or the look of the regular Giovannis and the price that is steep?. Be aware that some people have complaints that the Giovannis, any model, their colors with the ash wood tend to be different, some "greenish", some "yellowish", some "whiter" and they tend look "irregular" due to the "texture of the ashwood". The two congas or three might look different. Be aware that the "hardware" of the Giovanni is the best LP makes but is different for purposes of synthetic heads, in othe words they might be hard to find, and I think the tuning lugs are a size bigger than the standard 1/2 that will require you having a tuning wrench different that the "standard" 1/2. (This is true for the Galaxy Fiberglass see below)..

3 - LP Galaxy Fiberglass...In my opinion, the best fiberglass congas but expensive too. What makes them expensive is the "kevlar" lining inside the congas that makes them very durable and the design outside that "glows" in the dark. Same "design style" of the Patato style by LP with small mouth...(sharper tones, etc, etc). Sometimes they come with gold hardware, that I mentioned their problem. They have same problem of the "rims" like the Giovannis to get synthetic heads and I think the size is not the standard 1/2. (Be aware that "technically" there are two "generations" of Galaxys, Giovannis and Fiberglass, that the different is the comfort rims. The new ones which are about 5 years old is the one with the problem with the heads because the rim is different that the other LPs).

We have a fiberglass/wood issue here to ponder....Do you like overtones...Fiberglass have overtones that wood do not have. (Some go unnoticed by the "untrained ear). However, they last longer, they are easier to care and less prone to "breakage" in falls.....Price????? There are other congas made by LP in fiberglass with even the same style, the Patato for example but without the Kevlar, that are cheaper. Last but not least, the "sandy glowing" style of the congas is not liked by many and their alternatives in colors is not that great...Some people do not like it and some claim is going out of style..(Be aware, I have this model of congas and I selected black because they style look like it will "resist the test of time" in style and "fashionable" issues).

4 - LP Classic - The standard wood conga that everybody is trying to immitate....Easy for everything...Variety of colors is an advantage...Easier to get parts..."Everybody has one." Things to ponder..You want the same conga everybody has...You want reliability in getting parts with no hassles....Are you willing to pay the price of LP over other wood models by other companies, even LP's own Matadors, that are as good....(This is like buying a car...you want an Accord, reliable, everybody has one, or do you want the BMW that might be great but is expensive might be hard to get parts, etc.). (Be aware that the Matadors are the same congas at a lower price....)

5 - Pearl Elite - This is a good pro conga at a good price...Good sound.. As good as the LPs...Right now Pearl's do not offer too much variety with their colors...only 4 and some are "tacky" colors...(Wait some other styles will follow but will be released later...Also, Pearl in their new Signature models, i.e., Richie Flores and Bobby Allende, are actually using the same design and style. These "signature models" are cheaper than the LP or Toca's etc...). Problems???? Pearl Percussion parts are not everywhere like LP and might be hard to get or to get good selection of their products...... However, Pearl is coming "hard" into the market to capture some of it and their drive is strong by getting some old LP endorsers and putting more into their marketing.....I am aware they are coming with new models and designs and will become as accesible as LP so is something to ponder here....(I am sponsoring Pearl products by the way...so sorry..but the truth is the truth about the LP products which are superb but are you willing to go with the same everybody has....).

Here is my opinions about every model you mentioned. Some more will follow....I hope it helps...

Saludos!

Edited By Raymond on 1101661393
Raymond

Postby TampabayRey » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:31 pm

Thanks Raymond, It's been hard to come to a decision. So I turn to the Pro's. I play a couple different instruments but choosing a conga set has become a burden. With different sales people pushing there product. You brought up some things that I do need to think about. In regards to price this is a good time to buy a set. Some online stores are offering 10% off & others free shipping. I know by shopping around I was able to find all this sets Conga and tumba for only a $167 or so different form one another. If you had to choose one with price not being such an issue. Which would you recommend in regards to sound and lasting? Best Regards, Rey
Rey
TampabayRey

Postby Raymond » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:05 pm

Got your e-mail. Let me respond here. I do have a set of LP Galaxys in fiberglass and I am very happy with them. I think they are the best sounding congas and a great investment. (Not much of a conga player more bongo and timbale but have my congas for the ocassional gigging on them).

Fiberglass vs. wood. Is a matter of liking. I love wood. Is the natural sound. However, when I bought mine I pondered about durability, possible drops, care, volume and of course and I am believer that if I want to get into something and have the money why not go for the good product so I do not have to be changing later etc, etc. (See lots of topics on the topics here about what to get when you begin and why is recommended to get a good set from the get go, etc, etc).

The difference between wood and fiberglass goes unnoticed by a lot of untrained ears. (You as a conguero will hear the overtones and so forth but the ones listening to you not).

Lately, I've been liking the wood sound for the sake of having a difference but that is not turning off my preference for fiberglass.

Regarding my sponsoring of Pearl products, I do not have a set of their congas although when I get my "wood congas" I will try to get a set of Pearl Elites that are coming with new designs soon. (Johnny Conga, an active forum member, is a Pearl endorser. He can tell you more....). I highly recommend their products for their quality and above all their price. I do have a set of Pearl Elite bongos, Richie Flores model, and a set of Marc Quinones signature timbales. I am very satisfied with their sound.

Perhaps I am not giving you too much a choice but it is because is your decision. If you like wood, I will check the LP Classics (or the Giovanni's if you have the money but get silver hardware) and check the Pearl Elites. If you like fiberglass the Galaxys are a most see but they are expensive. The LP Patato and LP Fiberglass are good buys. Also, the Pearl Bobby Allende Signature congas in fiberglass are an outstanding buy. (Great design, no ring in middle fiberglass designed, 28 inches tall that is great for seated players and if you like synthetic heads, they come with Remo Fiberskyns from the factory. If I were in the market for a set of fiberglass congas the Bobby Allende's from Pearl are the ones to get. (The selection of colors is limited because they only come in a "Cafe con leche" color, brown and a lighter brown but still great looking. I expect Pearl to come with more variations in colors).

That is my whole dollar! If you need anything else, let me know. Tell us what are you getting or what are you inclining to, your impressions about the "test drives", etc...

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby TampabayRey » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:20 pm

I can't thank you enough for your help Raymond...I also sent Johnny conga an e-mail for his input. Special thanks to Fabrizio. Thanks for the Pictures...Your setup is awesome! Best Regards,From: Tampa Florida, Rey
Rey
TampabayRey

Postby TampabayRey » Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:35 pm

Thanks Johnny for your help. I do appreciated....Best to you, Rey
Rey
TampabayRey

Return to CongaSet and accessories