Timba Congas

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Snake » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:54 pm

Do Timba Congas sound better than LP Classics? If so, is it the difference between American Oak verses the Siam Oak of the Lp's or is it in the heads?

Also, why does Timba offer 5 sizes of their conga but LP only offer 3 in the classic line? Will the 2 bigger sizes in the Timba line offer deeper sound?
Snake

Postby Snake » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:56 pm

The head ring on the Timbas look old fashioned and less suffisticated than the one piece punched ring on the LP's. Are the Comfort II rims on the LP's the best rim or are the older style rims on the Timbas just as good?
Snake

Postby 106-1028519773 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:21 pm

Timba conga's sound much better than the LP Classics because the heads are better. LP uses treated water buffalo skins which tend to be thinner and more pourous. Timba uses cowhide skins which are thicker. The result is more warmth and less overtones. As far as the rims are concerned, if you develop the correct technique, traditional vs. comfort curve rims won't matter. However, Timba congas are very expensive compared to the LP Classics. Timba congas far outclass LP Classics. They're in different leagues. If you have the means, get the Timba's. If not, LP Classics are great congas too. They are still professional quality instruments. I own an LP Classic conga and tumba. I'm more than happy with them.
106-1028519773

Postby Snake » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:58 pm

Timba offers 5 thicknesses of skins that you can get with their congas. Optional: specify gauge of skins: thin, med-thin, medium, medium-thick or thick. Which guage of skin is going to sound the best with them or is it more a factor of the material?
Snake

Postby CongaCaja » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:29 am

it depends on the sound that you want.

thinner heads generally are going to have have more overtones ("brighter")...just as fiberglass drums will have a brighter tone than wood drums. overtones/brightness are not necessarily bad *if* you like that sound, have skins thickness well matched to your drum sizes *and* you know how tune them. generally, it takes more time/experience to get good sound from thinner heads.

however, you don't want a super thick head on your quinto either. another rule of thumb is: thicker for larger diameter.

the fact that timba offers the various thickness choices is great, but my suggestion is to go hear some of the drums at a dealer or of someone who owns them before laying down the $$$ order.

Lastly, I don't care much for the LP heads either. the "hand picked" heads on the Classics are only OK and heads on the cheaper drums are not good. I bought LP matadors a few years ago and I am glad that I replaced the heads with thicker cow hides that I got from a local drum builder.

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby ssk » Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:20 am

I've got them both as well as other brands. Yes, Timba's are more $$$ but they are made a heck of alot better than LP's. At, first I wasn't that thrilled with the Timba's because I didn't care for the original head (they came to thick). But after I changed the heads I have really enjoyed playing them.
There is no comparison to the look and "feel" of a quality handmade drum (Timba,Skin on Skin,Juniors,etc.) Yes, they are more $$. You would still want to keep the LP's for outdoors and other rough enviroments.
-ssk
Steve"skins"Kornicks
ssk

Return to CongaSet and accessories