conga sets

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Snake » Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:03 pm

I have seen that the standard setup for playing congas is using 2 drums. Probably 60% of what I run across on the net shows this setup. The other popular setup is the 3 drum arangement. The less frequent arangements are the 4 and 5 drum setups.

On LP's website, they have photos and videos of artists like Raul Rekow playing 5 piece conga sets. The sets they are using only come in 3 sizes so my question is, if you are going to play a larger setup, what of the 3 sizes would you duplicate to get a 5 piece setup? For that matter, how would you arange them then as a 5 piece starting with the main drum in front of you - what size would that drum be?

I ask this because I don't own any conga's yet but am very comfortable with a standard drum set with a double bass and both mounted and floor toms, so a larger setup of 5 congas looked familiar to me. Of course the physical limitations of arm reach and the dynamics of conga play obviously don't require more than 2 drums according to the players who contribute on this board, but I thought it woud be an interesting hypothetical question to get your opinions on.

Thanks for reading my post,

Snake
Snake

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:23 pm

They are basically using 2 tumbas with 2 congas and one quinto. Giovanni likes to use the middle drum(conga) like use one tumba 3 congas one quinto....for 4 drums I like to use 1 tumba 2 congas and one quinto, which is kinda standard. I have seen guys play with up to 7 congas with no problems, standing of course, not sitting. Experiment with different sizes and find the set up you like to use , that works for you. My buddy Jerry Gonzales uses a conga conga tumba to his right with the quinto "in front" of his first conga,very different. But that is what he developed for his own "style".....a lot has to do with "styles"......so find your "style" my drum brother.....peace..."JC" Johnny Conga....... :;):
JohnnyConga

Postby Snake » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:11 pm

Does it work out in all situations reguardless of how many congas you have that there is one main conga that gets 80% of the action and the rest are in supporting roles, or do all 5-7 congas end up being played with all four types of hits and the same degree of utility?
Snake

Return to CongaSet and accessories