How much do pros modify their congas?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Roryboy » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:58 am

Hey - I made a mistake- don't know why i said fibreglass aspires, rosario just said aspires, but the point remains.

I had pearl elites- sounded quite mass produced to me with no soul- but then again i'm used to african drums. Now i have some natals, they're kind to their skins. nataldrums.co.uk

does anybody else play bougarabu?
Roryboy

Postby Raymond » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:30 am

The change of the heads is a matter of preference of the player. Some people do not care...The preference is based on sound and lately I've seen some people going with synthetic heads for the convenience and "safety" to their hands. Apparently, the change to synthetic does not compromise their sound...

It's your decision, based on what you like and prefer.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby NaVajO » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:32 pm

hi there! when playing bongos as a fill instrument in live gigs, i use timbalesticks.. is that unwise? are there any special bongosticks?:O
Tiene TUMBAO!
NaVajO

Postby Raymond » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:43 pm

Hitting the bongos with sticks is not a "no-no". (As a matter of fact in "salsa" is done ocassionally for solo's and/or to use them as "pailas" which are a sort of "timbalito" used a lot in the 60s/70s).. Using the sticks is normally done for effect. Specially if you have a set up of multiple instruments. (You'll get a higher pitch when you hit the bongos). There is a risk of hitting to hard on the edge of the head and breaking it but that is a "hazzard of the job" and if you are careful with it, it will be OK!

Believe it or not, there are no "no-no's on what you want to do with your instrument. Some people do not do certain things to their instruments for the sake of been careful with them and not damaging it. Again, is your instrument....

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby mangorockfish » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:12 am

Just curious, but is there much that pros or anyone else can do to congas to make them sound better other than changing heads? :cool:
mangorockfish

Postby Raymond » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:27 pm

Mangorockfish,

Actually not much....This is a case of you have it or not. Some people have the talent to play with whatever and they get the best sound, i.e., Giovanni Hidalgo, etc, etc.

Doing some things like changes the heads, getting "good equipment", "getting things more suitable to you", etc, etc. Could help you a lot. In some instances it will not and/or will not make a difference. It is something for you to find out by trying as much as you can....

Saludos!
Raymond

Previous

Return to CongaSet and accessories