microphones

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby NaVajO » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:49 pm

Hi there! I'm just about to buy a microphone for my percussion set (2 congas, bongos and some other stuff), and I'm wondering if you guys can give me some advices about what to buy.
I don't know much of mics myself, and I can't afford to buy those small mics you can put inside the drums... but there still might be some special "normal" mics for drums/percussion that I don't know of.

thanks in advance.
Tiene TUMBAO!
NaVajO

Postby kinoconga » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:01 pm

NaVajo:

Don't know what you will be using your mic's exactly for, but if you are looking for a good buy for the money, I recommend the Shure - SM-57's. They are great & durable. I believe you could get them for approx. $80.00/EA. before taxes.
I use mines for recording into my PC thru an amplifier box, and they work very well.

Note: I use one Mic per drum (Tumbadoras / Congas)

Hope this help.

Regards,

KinoConga
KinoConga
kinoconga

Postby NaVajO » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:46 pm

thanks alot for your reply:) i realise i should have said what i need the mic for though. i wont use it for recording, ill use it for live gigs, connecting it to a PA system. i guess that will change it all will it?:D im looking for a mic at around 50$ actually, but i dont know what type of mic i need for live gigs/PA.

thx, /NaVajO
Tiene TUMBAO!
NaVajO

Postby zaragemca » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:13 pm

If you want to buy something for around,$50.00,it has to be used one, (if it is of quality).You might go to a Pawn Chop.
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby pidoca » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:30 am

HI I use CAD microphones, I think manufactured by Mackie. Tey have been excellent. i have used them in large and small gigs. The only comment I have received is that they are a little on the low side aroung the mid-high frequency range. I am not sure what the price is in america. Get the best mic you can afford, even though that you might be using it for percussion today, tommorow you may need to use it for something else. also have a look at the ability of the mic to handle transient sounds. Like that of a slap. Other things to consider is the mode of attachement. mic stand or claw. i use a mic stand because it gives me isolation from the drum. stick to dymanic mics are that will serve you well in to the future and you dont have to worry about phantom power etc... I did alot of research about mics a couple of months back. there is another post some where on here about mics and their frequency range, well worth reading.

Hope this helps
cabrita
[url=ww.cabritamusic.com]cabrita music[/url]
pidoca

Postby funky » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:20 am

Hello cats,

First of all, for gigging issues I use the akg c 418 micros for my 3 congas and they are pretty good - not the best but affordable ;)
When playing in our semi professional studio i just use a good condenser overhead mic from behringer ( sry i dont know the exact type right now ) and its pretty nice - just one mic and i got everything, 3 congs, bongos, chimes, shakers, cowbell....but the disadvantage is getting obvious when i have to record with some other guys together -> because they're using monitors i double their tracks and reduce my own noise level........why the #### is there no nice person who wants to spend a 8 bus console so i can use my akg c 418 ;)..........one last advice: in swabian country in germany we say: we are too poor to save money - that should mean, its better to buy something real good than some cheap chunk!

CUT..................I'm really interested in what mics the pros use for recording. Please can u give some advice also on adding effects. i'm just adding a little bit reverb but perhaps u have some nice suggestions.....

sry for ma bad english - i'm from germany/stuttgart....keep ur hands on rocking ;)

I would appreciate if some of the pros would exp
funky

Postby NaVajO » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:32 pm

thx for the responses everyone! once again, really nice page! i guess ill have to go a bit further with the prices than only 50$:P ... still, the mics you talk about cost around 200$ if im right, dont they?:) Im only a poor student from sweden-.-
by the way, do you think one CAD mic with a normal stand is enough for my congas / bongos / shakers / claves? Or do you always use one CAD for each drum? (talking about small live gigs with PA system)
i guess i will be looking for a kinda cheap CAD individual percussion mic.
Tiene TUMBAO!
NaVajO

Postby NaVajO » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:36 pm

ah, this was nice... i just found CAD PMP742C 7-Piece Drum/Instrument Microphone Package for 250$! too bad i dont need that many, ehe-.- 7 mics.
Tiene TUMBAO!
NaVajO

Postby NaVajO » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:49 pm

http://www.music123.com/CAD-TSM411-Dynamic-Mic-i106272.music

Hey guys, what do you think of this mic? CAD Dynamic for congas, cymbals, snares and so on. Costs only 60$
Tiene TUMBAO!
NaVajO

Return to CongaSet and accessories