Remo NuSkyns - beware LP Performers

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby tfunk » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:57 pm

Hey people,
Just reporting back about an earlier problem. I bought a NuSkyns head for my LP Performer Series quinto, and it was too big. Tried the suggestion of bending the ears, didn't work. I brought it back to the store (Drummers World, NYC). I found out that my drum is not the 11" standard size it is supposed to be. It's about 1/4" smaller. None of the premounted heads would fit, all too big. I did get a store credit, but I have to get a custom mouting to fit that drum ring. Looks like it's back to animal skin for me on the quinto. But I do like my NuSkyn on my conga. I'm going to try and use natural with synthetic at my next gig and see what happens. Sounded ok when I practiced yesterday.
Peace to all.
twm
tfunk

Postby Ivan » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:56 pm

TFunk,

You could always cheat... If you don't plan on playing your congas for a couple of days - soak the head your drums came with along with the Nyuskins. Just remove the original steal ring from the animal skins and put them in the Nyuskins... I had to do that with a mule skin head I purchased and it worked fine... It's much easier than having to mount a flat skin...

Here are some step by step instruction on how to mount a flat skin - however avoid using HOT water - cold or room temparture is fine. The heads will need to soak for a couple of hours... Click here to read about mounting a head: Mount a Head

Let me know if you have any questions.

Ivan
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Postby congabebe » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:35 am

I have Toca premiere's, they came with Remo Fiber skyns. I switched the quinto and conga to Remo Nuskyn. Neither head snapped into ring or sat evenly into ring when I just took collar and layed the head in it. However when I put the head on conga it was fine, so I very carefully tighted it down as even as I could get it and they seem fine. The sound is not as good as a real skin but it is much better than the Remo Fiber skin. I want to replace the head on my tumba to the Nuskyn, but haven't yet.

I was curious by the previous comments. Did you soak the nuskyn in the water and it came off the ring? If that is true then I could soak them maybe to make them fit better but I guess the ring is the problem? I felt like the ring was ok, the angle of the premount is off. Just curious. I know about how the real skins can be soaked but haven't even thought about the nuskyns could be soaked. Let me know.

Thanks,
congabebe:cool:
congabebe

Postby CongaCaja » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:18 am

I would be very surprised if soaking NuSkyns or any other Remo non-natural heads would allow one to unmount it from it's factory ring so that you might mount it on another ring (the smaller one of the LP Performer).

Though there are layers of different materials on those heads, I believe the base material is still mylar (plastic) which will not be affected by the water soaking.

cjk
CongaCaja

Return to CongaSet and accessories