Cheap lug ding protector

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby CongaTick » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:54 pm

When I set up my three to four drums, I put them pretty close together, and over time wound up with lug nut dings on the shells. Sound familiar? Here's a cheap, easy and attractive solution. Go to Home Depot and pick up some flexible, clear vinyl tubing. Should be 5/8 inside diameter, with outdside diameter about 3/4". A ten foot roll should cost less than $3. Cut off about a 4" piece. slice it lengthwise to open it up. In the middle, on both sides of the cut edges, cut a square notch that will allow the tube to fit over the lug nut housing, some of the tube extening above and below. You can easily maneuver the tube over the lug nut, the notch allowing it to fit easily. No more dings, and the transparency will allow the beauty of the hardware to show. And you can easily take the protectors on and off to tune or detune.

CongaTick
CongaTick

Postby Mezcaldrum » Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:27 am

That's a great idea. I wish I had thought of that. I bought the Meinl protectors for my Timba drums after much searching and they work fine. However, they're black and I'd much prefer your idea that doesn't detract from the look of the drum. I'll try it out and see if I like it better. Thanks.
Mezcaldrum

Postby CongaTick » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:53 pm

It really does work, Mezcaldrum, and, as I said, a cheap alternative that looks great and does the job. The cool thing is that you can put them on and take them off easily for tuning/detuning. Since you were the only response, my guess is that others don't place their drums as closely as we do, or are a lot more careful when placing/moving/setting up, etc.

CongaTick
CongaTick

Return to CongaSet and accessories