Remo NuSkyns - HELP,trouble mounting head on the quinto

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby tfunk » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:34 pm

Hello all, this my first post. I really love this site and the forum, it is by far the best place on the web for info on all things "conga". I bought the Performer Series Dums on-line and I am very pleased with them, except for the skins. After about 8 months of using them I decided to try the Remo NuSkyn heads. I replaced the 11/34" head no problem and am happy with the sound, but when I tried to replace the 11" quinto, the hardware was too small to fit the 11" Remo head. I'm not sure if it is the hardware, or if the 11" NuSkyn was just off a bit. Should I go back to the store (with my rim), and ask if I can try another one, or am I just out of luck with the quinto?
Peace, and happy drumming to all.
twm
tfunk

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:18 pm

Go back to the store with the head and the "hoop" and exchange for a head that will fit. I am assuming it's pre-mounted, right?....sometimes the the premounteds can be a bit off, I don't have much experience in "artificial heads". :(
but I have seen it happen. Hope this helps, and WELCOME Drum Brother to this forum.......JC JOHNNY CONGA.... :;):
JohnnyConga

Postby Raymond » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:49 pm

Tfunk,

Is not unsual to not get a perfect fit in synthetic heads. There is always one that will fit "weird" or unusual. JC's recommendation is a good one. Find it strange that you have a problem with the Nu Skyns since these types of synthetic heads tend to fit like pre-mounted natural heads and somehow they find their way to sit comfortably into your rim since they have the "natural head ring"...

You do not say if you have traditional rim or some sort of comfort rim..(Assume comfort rim since is an LP...probably the first generation of LP's comfort rims that are not the best..Have you try opening the "ears" of the rim? Sometimes with traditional rims that is always the problem when you replace heads and in some instances with the comfort rims it is too! Remember when you tune the conga the "ears" bend a little bit in and close the rim to sit tight with the head ring. When you replace a head, since the "ears" of the rim are in it will make difficult the "entrance" of the head ring and it will look that they do not fit...Sometimes is just that.."open the ears so the ring of the head could go through.. (Do it nicely without damaging the rims' ears). (Ears are the "things" sticking out where you put the tuning lugs for tuning...)

Try that first and then go to the store...

Tell us how it goes and share it...

Saludos!

Edited By Raymond on 1092747063
Raymond

Return to CongaSet and accessories