Pearl Primero Congas or Toca 2800 Players Series - I need a recommendation

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby josiah_p » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:17 am

Could anyone tell me which conga set is better and why? Thank you very much!

Josiah <>< :)
josiah_p

Postby Arun » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:10 pm

I have the same question. I saw ad selling Toca players version and being a beginner and I am not sure if this is better than LP, which one to get etc. It will be very hlepful if any of you who knows a lot about Conga can give some opinions here about Toca. Thanks!
Arun

Postby josiah_p » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:31 am

Thank you for commenting on my post. I'm not sure why no one is replying to my initial post. I know that there are plenty of experts out there. Everyone else gets replies. Who knows. Help us somebody! :)

Edited By josiah_p on 1091583110
josiah_p

Postby Raymond » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:39 pm

Josiah_p,

Sorry we have not been able to tell you "our" recommendation. I dare on behalf of the others who contribute here that perhaps we are not that familiarized that much with beginner's equipment. Personally, if you want to get serious, the better is to get the "full professional set" because eventually, if you get serious, you will like to trade your beginners equipment for professional size and that could be a cumbersome procedure. Anyway, we are aware budget is always a concern.....

Did the research for the Toca 2800 Player Series and Pearl Primeros..

1-Both are a set of 10 and 11 congas...(Not professional sizes).

2. Both come with a stand, however, the Pearl Primero has a basket type of stand, that by the way, is one of the types preferred now by many congueros...(Is not a sophisticated basket stand like LPs). Have not seen the stand of the Toca but appear the type you mount both congas to it...but again I assume is not a "sturdy" type like the ones used professionally.

3. Hardware in the Toca looks cheap and the Pearl's have the "high end" hardware of their Pearl Elite Series..

4. Price...Toca is $249 and Pearl is $289....I think the difference is the hardware and I am aware Pearl Primero has "playable" heads... (Toca's price is the same as LP Aspire's that have the same product...Toca and LP are from the same company...I do not know you but LP Aspire's look cheap...). (Source of price...www.midwestpercussion.com)

Your decision....You need to "test drive" them...Go to your store and look at the sound, the stand, the finish of the conga, etc, etc... I am a Pearl kind of guy...Their product is more expensive by $40 but I think is better than Toca's Player Series....

Again, recommendation is to get a professional size that probably will cost you $200 or $300 more and without a stand but is worth it....If you want to go with a set like this, I will recommend getting the Pearl Primero' but don't get my word..go to the store and look at it...

Last advise, my last try to get you to obtain pro sizes, LP has some special edition Fuego, Performer and/or Caliente in some stores that are in pro sizes at pretty good prices....(Do not know if they are still available out there....There was a discussion topic here about them awhile ago... Beware hardware is like the LP Aspire and heads are bad but they are priced pretty good...I think $350-$400 for a set)...(Update..saw some LP Performer Series at http://www.musiciansfriend.com...)

Tell us what you get and your impressions....

Saludos!

Edited By Raymond on 1091804178
Raymond

Postby josiah_p » Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:38 am

Raymond,

Thank you very much for your reply and recommendation. It was very helpful to me. Thank you for taking the time to do some research--above and beyond the call of duty. One more question...What sizes are professional congas? Thanks again. :)
josiah_p

Postby Raymond » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:44 pm

Professional sizes are

Quinto - 11

Conga - 11 3/4

Tumbadora 12 1/2

There are some requintos, LP Galaxy Wood (Giovanni) and Fiberglass, and Pearl Elite Richie Flores Signatures, 9 3/4 (I think). The requinto is a smaller size drum more for soloing, although, they could "accompany" too.

Note that pro sizes is just a standard. Some "boutique companies" that make custom made drums and some of the major companies like Meinl make pro size drums in sizes bigger than the standard. for the type of drum, i.e, conga, tumbadora, etc. (Note that most major companies have stuck with the pro sizes as said above).

Nothing says you cannot get a bigger drums or smaller drums. Is just a matter of getting "two tones" to play with that is the "norm or standard". Also, with a beginner 11 size you will just need a "tumbadora" in 12 1/2. A pro conga could last you a lifetime....(Nothing wrong with beginner is just that if you get serious...I bet you will like to upgrade...Why not get it "all" now...)

Again, tell us what you get....

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Simon B » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:57 am

Unless you have quite small hands, a 10" and 11" set of drums will restrict techniques which are important to learn comfortably at the beginning, and should be avoided.

Simon B
Simon B

Postby josiah_p » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:05 am

Simon, thank you for your reply. Actually, I do have small hands, but I understand what you are saying, and I want to be able to master as many techniques as I can. So what sizes should I get? Thank you.
josiah_p

Postby Isaac » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:34 am

In the "old school" of conga study, you start with one drum,
usually a conga (11.5, 11.75" or even 12") 11.75 is todays
standard. Its better to invest in one good drum than a set
of two poor quality and increasingly too small drums.
What makes one instrument cost $300 and another $1000?
The ear to distinguish between them will surely develop
within you the longer you play. The quality of the wood and its ability to resonate & vibrate, weight, the type of metal on the hardware, the lugs, are all factors. Sometimes a cheaper
drum does sound excellent but not that likely. Tinny & hollow ringing overtones should be avoided. Perhaps somewher in the middle is a good place to start.
There's also the question
of the heads (discussed in another thread). Today most heads
are mediocre but nobody seems to mind. They can always
be changed to improve your sound quality. I liken this to
getting a custom built handmade guitar built for
you and then putting the poorest quality strings on it
because you ran out of money on the guitar. This is
what the manufacturers are doing.
If you get serious on the one drum, a bit down the line
you could acquire the 12.5" tumbadora. You'll also have learned to "pull" the most sounds out of that one drum first.
~ Isaac ~
funkytradition percussion / rep. for JCR
funkytradition@yahoo.com
Isaac

Postby Isaac » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am

I forgot to mention the issue of stands. A lot of the very
cheap quality congas usually 10" & 11" sets (the wrong sizes.period)
entice you with a stand included. This should not be a priority
at the expense of getting a good sturdy instrument first.
~ ISAAC
Isaac

Postby Jongo » Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:35 pm

When I was first starting out my instructor urged me not to buy the beginner sets as well. He was saying that I would outgrow them quickly and end up buying another better set later on. So I invested in the best conga I could afford which was a Matador conga. It has been a great conga and I have no complaints about it. later on I added a tumba and now I even have the quinto to go with them. Start with a good conga and little by little as your talent and skill level grows you can add on. I love my Matadors but I also think that Toca and Pearl are fine. I just would not buy the introductory level 10 and 11 inch drums because I think very quickly you will realize that you do not get the full sound and range that you are going to want. Get the best you can, take care of it and keep it for a long time! Good luck
Jongo

Return to CongaSet and accessories