'Comfort Curve' vs. traditional rims - Big difference for a beginner?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby rhumbajo » Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:28 am

I've noticed new conga drums, from most mfr's and price ranges, having the 'comfort curve' rim.

Many older, good and intermediate quality congas have the older traditional style rim.

Would it make a big difference for a beginner?
Would I be forced to develop better technique with the traditional rim?

Thanks, didn't find much on this topic so here we go.

:cool:

-r
As long as I have my family, my music, and popcorn... life is good. <c:
rhumbajo

Postby CongaCaja » Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:57 am

you are correct. a traditional rim would be a more painful experience if you do not use proper technique.

Luckily, I started with a good teacher who would not teach me any rhythms until I had a good grasp of proper technique (trust me, I can always use improving but...)

my teacher has traditional rims on this drums and I don't really notice the difference from my drums which soft strike rims (the predecessor to Comforte Curve II) because my hand positions on the various strokes are generally correct.

best of luck to you!

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby rhumbajo » Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:56 am

Thanks cjk!!

In looking at traditional rims, it appears that a pad or cushion of some sort could be placed on the rim where your palm might strike. This might look funny, but:

Imagine a 12" piece of garden hose with a slit down the length of it. You place the slit over the rim, it acts to cover the hard edge of the rim. And over- anxious beginners like me :p keep from hurting their hands.

-r
rhumbajo

Postby CongaCaja » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:15 pm

Seriously, I wouldn't go to the trouble of cutting up hose.

If you know what the proper motions for the various strokes (if not, find a good teacher or class now!) and if you are practicing SLOWLY then there should be no reason to hurt your hands.

I know that when you are beginning it is quite tempting to playing fun rhythms, but you should resist the temptation. First, you'll be hurting yourself and second you'll probably be playing too fast for your current level of technique...and thus reinforcing bad technique. You really don't want to do that.

Be patient...don't touch the drum unless you are touching it with a deliberate attempt to play within your technical limits and extending those limit through careful practice.

Now is the time to train your hands for the kinetics of good technique and your ears for the good sound quality that comes from good technique.

Trust me, I'm no master percussionist and still have SO MUCH to learn about playing congas. However, I am very glad the I spent a month or two of nothing but playing simple exerices with the basic stroke types...and still review those simple exercises on a regular basis.

take care, keep practicing and very best of luck...

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby rhumbajo » Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:49 am

Ok, I'll leave the hose in the garden then.

Seems the basics and correct technique must be in place from square one... I'll remember that.

Thanks cjk

-r
rhumbajo

Postby yoni » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:28 pm

rumbajo,

If you can get drums with the comfort curve, might as well. Even experienced players occasionally "miss" a bit, which can be a major "ouch!" on traditional rims.

Progress in technique will be heard on the drum head itself, not on the rims. Better to avoid busting up the hands on the older rims... bad technique can damage them enough on the heads alone. I have the comfort curves for some years now and prefer them. My two cents, hope it helps.
yoni

Postby Mezcaldrum » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:33 am

I've played both though I'm no master. My new congas have traditional rims and I don't ever notice hitting them. Although my technique still has me hitting the bearing edge occasionally with my thumb joint which does hurt. This is something I have to fix with more work on my technique, the rims won't help. lol

Jim :cool:
Mezcaldrum

Postby muddy323 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:46 pm

The conga's I really like LP,anything with those comfort curve on them...I prefer wood over fiberglass. I still play those 1976 Gonbops. My next set, will be LP's Accents (glass) with those comfort curves. I played these conga's and they produced a very good sound. I never owned, fiberglass conga's. I was impressed by the sound.
muddy323

Postby muddy323 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:14 pm

SAVE YOUR THUMPS...i go to the music store once a week to play those "comfort curve" conga...that new bass amp,ate up all the money for new drums
muddy323

Postby Bongo Boy » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:35 am

I just wanted to add a comment. I've had the Comfort Curve II rims for a couple of years, and that's what I started with. About 3 days ago I bought another pair of drums with the traditional Cuban 'hoop' style rim, and have been poundin' on 'em for a while now.

Never even noticed the difference at all.

I have to second CongaCaja's comments about starting slow. You'll hear (and feel) when it's "right", and when it's "right", you're hands will seldom if ever do more than lightly touch the rims (either kind)...at least in my limited experience.
Bongo Boy

Postby Firebrand » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:14 pm

Comfort Rims, HANDS-DOWN. Go with Comfort Rims II, which is what i have now.

My Patato Fiberglass congas have Comfort Rims and are a real charm to play. Traditional Rims are too high, and I sometimes hit my palm on the Rim (OUCH). Comfort Rims are placed about an inc lower, holding the conga head downwards, so you'd have to be completely without grace or aim to hit your palm on the metal rim, if you have Comfort Rims.

Hope that helps.
Firebrand

Return to CongaSet and accessories