Cowbells - looking for my first cowbell

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby otto » Wed May 26, 2004 3:08 pm

Hello all

Once again I am looking for help and advise from you who are walking the path ahead of me.

I have only been playing for about 5 months and I am having a great time learning.
I have now realized how important the cowbell is to the overall rhythm and timing, the more I hear the cowbell the more I feel I need to get one to practice on to get a better understanding of rhythm and timing.
what should I be looking for in my first cowbell, what size should I get, is there a particular brand to look for etc?

Again I am very thankful for any assistance you provide.

many thanks

Otto
otto

Postby zaragemca » Wed May 26, 2004 4:01 pm

What type of music you are playing?
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby otto » Wed May 26, 2004 6:20 pm

Hello Zaragemca
I am listening and playing to mostly latin music mambo for the 1950's salsa from 1960 to 1980
Cal Tajader. Fania All stars, Mongo, Baretto. Tito R., Tito P. Mon Rivera, Machito, Wille C. etc

I feel that getting a better feel for the Bell will help me with timing etc.
Thanks
Otto
otto

Postby zaragemca » Wed May 26, 2004 7:56 pm

There is a Cha-cha bell which I also used all the time for brazilian,and other drumming comfigurations,Salsa Bell(there is one which is to be hold with the hands,and another one which is set up in the Timbal,Ridge Bell, is the choice of the Rockers,Agogo Bells for African,Brazilian,Rumba genre,etc.There are a lot of good quality bells out there,LP,Toca,and others you could try them for specific sound.
zaragemca

Postby otto » Wed May 26, 2004 8:11 pm

Thanks Z

I am thinking that I would like to go with a hand held one I saw several on ebay classified as cha cha bells. But I think I will go over to the Guitar center and see what they have. I will ask for the cha cha bells first.
Is there any particular sound I should be looking for like in terms of pitch higher pitch or lower pitch small or large bells.
what about the actual playing of the bells I have some idea but is there a source for me to explore.
Again Z
many Thanks for your help.
Otto
otto

Postby Jongo » Wed May 26, 2004 9:29 pm

If you are looking for a bell I really like JCR bells. They are made in NY in the Bronx and they are really good. I have a JCR Agogo that I love and people are always asking me about it. I got it at Guitar Center and the price was reasonable. You are probably not looking for an Agogo but their cha-cha, mambo, timbale, and bongo bells are excellent
Jongo

Postby zaragemca » Thu May 27, 2004 12:14 am

The playing of the bells is set up in relation of what is the rhythms which you are playing,cha-cha is a solid beat on the mouth of the bell, for Son-Music,the top and the mouth,,for Rock music,usuly the mouth, for african the mouth and the top could be used,also for some brazilian configurations.

Edited By zaragemca on 1085616926
zaragemca

Postby Raymond » Thu May 27, 2004 12:49 pm

Otto,

Cowbells are like ice cream flavors...everybody has their own likes... JCR makes the best handheld cowbells (together with the El Piernas in Colombia). However, they are hard to find and tend to be expensive and believe it or not fragile. Also, hard to select since he does not make a "fixed" style all the time or does not have a numbering or style for the cowbells he makes like other companies do. (They are handmade, not mass made like other companies).

For starters, I think LP Salsa series of bongo bells are the best way to go. Easy to find, durable and at a good price! The big question is the tone. (That is, the sound you get when you hit the mouth of the bell). In my opinon, LP Salsa bells are just trying, and normally are following, the sounds JCR is developing. Currently, LP makes four bells I recommend:

ES-4 - High Pitch
ES 3 - Lower Dry Pitch
ES-9 - Lower but bright overtone (this is the Sergio Bell)

Now they have come up with a Salsa Claro Bell ES-13 that it has a darker pitch but bright overtone like the latest JCR bells.
Recommned you also get LP own copy of JCR cowbell beater in "fiberglass", the Duro Cowbell Beater. (Just a plain cylinder type of beater not a "bat type" like you normally see. This beater is easy to handle).

Recommend you try them to see what you like the "most generic" is the ES-3 that has the sound of the traditional bells of old times... The Sergio Bell comes next in popularity and the new ES-13 claro but do not project well...(Better to use in recordings than in live situations. These are the most common tones use now).

If you find JCR great but if not LP Salsa series is the way to go..

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Isaac » Sun May 30, 2004 8:54 am

Re: JCR COWBELLS

Dear fellow Congaboard members. For anyone wanting
more info on the JCR cowbell product line please
send me an email to:
funkytradition@yahoo.com
I'm an authorized rep JCR Percussion, and have been selling
them both in the USA and internationally for Cali since January.
~ Isaac ~
(732) 432-0609

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... _5.jpg.jpg
Isaac

Postby Mezcaldrum » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:49 am

My two cents is that you go for the JCR cowbells if you're getting into salsa/latin jazz. I play timbales in a gigging salsa band and have used the JCR's for years in all settings. I use the JCR bongo (hand held), timbale and cha cha bells. My timbale bell's mount screw recently got stripped and needed a quick replacement for an upcoming gig. Got an LP which sounded decent but at the gig I really missed the bright overtone which helps it cut nicely over a blazing salsa horn section. I do like the LP salsa model though, but would probably only use it in very quiet more subdued latin jazz situations. It's somewhat muted. Would use with Cal Tjader/Clare Fischer type of music. Some don't like the overtones of the JCR upclose, but my teacher years ago told me not to worry about how the instrument sounds close but how it sounds in the audience. I've listened in the audience and agree. Major difference. That said the LP mount is much sturdier and appears more reliable. Johnny Blas sat in with us one night and played my JCR so hard it came loose. lol Hasn't been the same since then. (A real pro playing them)

Good luck
Mezcaldrum

Postby Firebrand » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:57 pm

Otto,

It all depends on what styles of music you are playing, and what instruments you are playing in a particular setting.

I don't know what others might say about non-LP products, but I've been playing since I was 9 (I'm 25 now) and most of the timbaleros, bongoceros, and drummers I find have LP products, and I'm definitely an "LP man" when it comes to Latin music products.

I've heard their Black and "Salsa" models (the chrome ones), and I definitely prefer the ring of Salsa models. The Black ones, I've always thought, maybe good enough for Rock applications, but not for serious salsa playing (but, someone may dispute this. To each their own preferences). They sound real dead to me, like I just pulled a metal pole from a construction site, and started to hit. Not good.

On to applications. If you are a bongo player in a salsa band, just get a BONGO bell (the biggest one). That's the one to keep the time with the Ki-Ki-Pum pattern. If you are a Timbalero in a Salsa setting, you'll definitely need the Timbale Bell and a Red Wood Block from LP (Clave) (basic setup). You can get the Blue Wood Block if you want a higher pitch clave sound, but I prefer Red Block (and most other timbaleros seem to as well).

If you are into serious songo, mozambique, and other timbale patterns that require interaction between different sounding bells, consider adding a Cha-Cha-Cha Bell, which is the bell used to play Cha-Cha-Chas, and intricate, multi-bell/clave block patterns.

Finally, if you are a Latin-jazz drummer, without the addition of a bongo player (playing alone, or with a conguero), you only really need a Drumset-clampable Bongo bell (LP sells drumset and handheld versions). In the absence of other percussionists, you only really need a Tumbao pattern in the congas and a nice Bongo "ki-ki-PUM" in the drums to really spice up a Latin-Jazz night. I'm a drummer, and in the absence of timbalero/bongocero, and with a conguero or playing alone, I play really "songeao" ki-ki-PUM patterns on the drums (filling up the absence of other percussionists with a more "busy" snare drum & bass drum interaction, songo-style), to contrast from the cascara patterns I play on the Hi-hat or Ride cymbal in quieter sections of the song.

I have a Bongo, Cha Cha, Timbale Bell, and both wood blocks, but, I usually just use Bongo bell and wood block in my daily appllications (since I play a lot of Latin-Jazz gigs in which I'm the only percussionist). When there are other percussionists, it frees me to play timbale patterns on Timbale Bell and Wood Blocks, with snare drum and Bass-drum, ala Samuell Formell or Jimy Branly (from Cuba's Los Van Van and NG La Banda).

Hope that helps. Buy the Bell that fits your playing applications, or get the three (Bongo, Timbale, Cha Cha), if you play in varied settings.
Firebrand

Return to CongaSet and accessories