Newbi question regarding drum sizes/recommendation

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby MikeS » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:46 pm

Hey guys,

My wife got me a conga for my birthday, woohoo! I had taken a class with a friend of mine and had a great time, so I wanted to start working on some of this stuff.

It turns out she actually got me an 11" Quinto, rather than a 11 3/4" conga. I'm planning on only using one drum for awhile. Am I okay just playing my quinto and buying a conga later, or is it worth ordering a conga and exchanging the one I have? It seems like sizes vary in general and I might be fine just going with the 11" and a 11 3/4" instead of the 2 larger drums, but I certainly don't know enough to make this decision.

Thanks guys!

Mike

Edited By MikeS on 1089755195
MikeS

Postby congastu » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:46 pm

It depends on the tone and quality, but Id stick with what youve got and get a conga later, but use it for the tumba parts. A lot of times when you see conga sets, its actually a quinto and conga anyway- tumbas are a bit rarer.
It wont affect your technique whether youre playing on a conga or quinto and tuning is a personal thing anyway. What is perhaps more important in the long run is the craftsmanship of the drum itself- can you get all the sounds you want from it. Even then though its good practise developing slaps etc on a less responsive drum.
Hope this is helpful, stu
congastu

Postby congastu » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:50 pm

PS If youre using it to develop tumbao etc just dont crank it up too high, as you want to hear that warm open tone- and its easier to fool yourself that those slaps are coming along!!
congastu

Postby MikeS » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:17 am

Thanks for the response! The drum is an LP Performer series. From other research this appears to be somewhere inbetween an Aspire and a Matador. I'm getting good sounds out of it, though my slap technique definitely need refinement. As long as I tilt the drum back so the bottom isn't sealed to the floor the bass sound is nice too.

I played a set of the Aspire ones when I was at Guitar Center today and they paired a 10" and 11" drum, so it seems I'd be at least doing better than that with an 11" and 11 3/4" as far as amount of available bass in my tumba parts is concerned.

Mike
MikeS

Postby congastu » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:47 pm

Yeah, that should work no problems. To be honest, I use 3 meinl marathons when performing and the lowest tuned conga is only 11". Sometimes diameters can be misleading- its more a matter of what roles the drums are taking on and [again] what quality of sound they produce.
Good playing!! Stu
congastu

Postby congastu » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:50 pm

PS when you add to the collection, try tuning them to different intervals to see what kind of arrangement suits you best. On this subject, its more a matter of guidelines than cast iron rules!
congastu

Postby Isaac » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:51 am

Stu , I have to say that the Tumbadora's low tone
is very important to the Low part of the Son Montuno,
and also for someone playing Rumba.
Of course you can tune down an 11.75" conga
or use a thicker skin to get that low note.
The essential set is the Tumba and the Conga.
The quinto was meant to be cranked up and to
be used for what it was designed for - that's
the whole point and fun of that instrument.
Some salseros use the Tumba and quinto combination.
The market has been flooded with cheap "conga"
sets consisting of conga and quinto. This is
the incorrect "set" and only appeared a few years
ago for economical reasons. To get an intimate
awareness of rumba, you need to try
the tumba parts on that one drum, with others
doing their parts - Tres Golpes or segunda, Claves, Kata (sticks
on woodblock) and the 5th element - the Quinto.
~ Isaac
Isaac

Postby congastu » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:12 pm

Thats why I said its knowing what tone your after and getting it that is the important thing. There are some cheap tumbas floating about, too, so I really dont think diameter should be the main premise. Same with djembes- the big ones dont always have the best or warmest bass.
Yes, my low Meinl may only be small, but it has a depth and warmth I cant find on many LP drums and that with the medium conga suits my style perfectly , ie, very bass orientated, a la patato [check out http://www.thehatband.com or rowz.net] Getting hooked on size can end up being a bit spinal tap- you know the guitar amp that goes to eleven or whatever it was, but doesnt actually mean anything concrete- its only an indication. It actually says something for the craftmanship that a smaller drum can get those tones spot on. [Again, the same premis very often applies to djembe]
congastu

Postby congastu » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:55 pm

PS, I totally agree with you about the function of the quinto, I just think it might be better to get your techniques for tumba and conga down first- so tune the drums you have accordingly.
Peace and love stu
congastu

Postby mangorockfish » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:42 am

Welcome Mike,
As we say here in Arkansas, "Ya dance with the one ya brung". Keep the present from your wife and add to it if you want some different drums. :D
mangorockfish

Postby Simon B » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:40 pm

Why is is the quinto (fifth) is named as it is?

Simon
Simon B

Return to CongaSet and accessories