1/2LP Fuego Congas - Heard of them? Quality?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby kornflakes » Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:00 pm

Hi, this is my first post. Have any of you guys heard of LP Fuego Congas. I bought two recently a 11 3/4 and 12 1/2 inch set. I don't see them listed on the LP official site. I think they are a better made set than the 'Aspire' but i don't know how they would compare to say the Classics. Also i'm just learning so can anybody recommend a good easy to understand book or DVD for conga playing?
kornflakes

Postby Raymond » Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:37 pm

During the last years, LP has been making some "special products" not intended for every store. They have a "Caliente" and "Fuego" line, that are available the professional sizes of their main products with some "acceptable" quality in their hardware and/or other components like heads, etc, but at very good prices. Stores like Sam Ash and other big chains are carrying them intented for those on a budget or beginners. You will not find them in the LP site because they are not a "regular line."

These "alternate not official line" products normally lack good hardware and/or good drumheads. The Fuego line, the best product is the congas but be aware, like you say, you are buying Aspire quality hardware. (Heads are awful, you need to replace them). The bongos are OK but same issues as with the congas. The timbales...well, they are not good.

Differences with the "LP Classics" besides of what I've mentioned before the shells of the congas might be thinner or lower quality Oak.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby kornflakes » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:45 pm

Thanks for your thoughts. I got an official e-mail from Lp stating that the Fuego line was comparable to their Matador series, which was reasuring. So i guess they are pro entry standard but maybe the heads may need improving??? How to tell? They sound okay to me. Maybe a pro player could tell a difference?
kornflakes

Postby Mr. Furley » Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:26 pm

I have an LP "Performer Series" conga, which I too couldn't find any info on because its a special line made for Guitar Center/Musician's friend. I exchanged a few emails wtih LP and they told me that I basically had a Matador shell with cheaper hardware...the head is ok. I have no complaints.
Mr. Furley

Postby mangorockfish » Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:28 pm

Try the Bobby Sanabria Getting Started On Congas tapes. 3 of them. Get all of them and then get Conga Joy.:blues:
mangorockfish

Postby otto » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:00 pm

Hello all
I also purchased a set of the LP performer series congas, a set of three, I compared them to the Aspire series and found the Performer series to be much better. This past weekend I did as JC advised and got some manteca and treated the skins and left them out in the 80 plus degrees sun for about 5 hours there was a big difference in the sound once I retuned them. I recommend you treat your skins in the same manner it will make a difference.

Otto
otto

Postby CongaCaja » Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:41 am

btw, a few years ago I was investigating the Performer Series congas as I prepared to buy my first drums. lacking any other information, I called the LP offices and asked to be transferred to someone who could give me some comparitive specifics re: the construction of these drums. Generally, what I was told is that the drums "fall somewhere in between Aspires and Matadors".

One thing is the Performers (and Fuegos) have "pro" shell diameters as are the Matadors and unlike the Aspires.

side note: if you are in cuba you will find handmade drums of various sizes. nothing is standardized. Of course, well-known groups suchs as Los Munequitos have Timba drums, but this is the exception rather than the rule.

The hardware on Performer/Fuegos is from the Aspire series. To be specific, Performes/Fuegos have "EZ Curve" rims and 9/32 in. diameter lugs of Aspire... not the "Soft Strike" rims and 5/16 in. diameter lugs of Matadors.

Shell construction? That I do not know...anyone's guess is as good as mine.

I hope this helps a bit

cjk
CongaCaja

Return to CongaSet and accessories