LP Wood Classic Congas or LP Patato Fiberglass?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Firebrand » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:32 pm

Ok, here goes the question.

I'm a good friend of Giovanni Hidalgo and I know from experience performing with him that he prefers wood congas. In fact, in a past performance with him, he had the choice of picking congas between two different sets of LP Classic Wood congas (my set, and another congueros), and a set of three Patata Congas, which, according to the owner (Freddie Moreno, of Moreno's Music in Springfield MA), were the original prototype conga set, given to his son by Patato in recognition of his son's outstanding conga technique.

Well, everytime I go over to Freddie's store and messed around on the prototype fiberglass congas, I could really good sounds and awesome, crackling highs, with a real good tone. But, when I would play on my Wood LP Classics, I could never get the cutting tone, although my congas were the warmest of the entire set.

So, the question is: Should I sell my LP Wood Classics and get an LP Patato Fiberglass model, or keep the Wood classics?

(just for knowledge, Giovanni chose a Quinto and Conga from the other guy's Wood Classics, and my Conga and Tumbadora for the 4 congas of the gig).

Something tells me I should stay with my LP Classics, but, I really like being able to get crackling highs, and Fiberglass gives me that.

Hit me up, rgb@polsci.umass.edu
Firebrand

Postby Raymond » Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:32 pm

Some people will disagree with me but part of your playing is what equipment, tuning, etc...suits you better. There are some people that sound good no matter what....However, some of us "need the advantage."

The big question from what instrument you get the sound you like for yourself or "your sound."

Get what you like...If you like the fiberglass sound..then that is your sound... Get those Patato's...if you want to keep the wood then try to get your sound with the woods...As simple as that..

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby mangorockfish » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:08 am

Raymond summed it up really well. I have a beautiful sounding as well as looking Meinl Pros and am about to get a set of LP original fiberglass drums. I will have the best of both worlds. I will probably use the LP's for gigs and keep the woods for rehersals. Only you can determine what you need and want. LOL :blues:
mangorockfish

Return to CongaSet and accessories