Another Good Deal - Meinl Marathon Exclusives

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby CongaCaja » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:11 am

...on eBay $449 "Buy It Now" price for 11 in and 11.75 in drums.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....61&rd=1

If I didn't already have 3 drums (LP) and bongos (Meinl), I would jump on them myself. Meinl have a different sound than my LP drums (maybe due to the wood? Meinl uses rubber wood as opposed to LP's oak) I'm not saying it's better...just different. But, if I did buy them, somehow I think my girlfriend would think that would be excessive.

oh well... :(

cjk

Edited By CongaCaja on 1086257510
CongaCaja

Postby congastu » Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:41 pm

I know that one Congacaja!!!
My girlfriend is very understanding, but I think I pushed it to the limit when three surdo drums took over the bedroom!!!
On the subject of meinls, Ive got a pair of marathons myself, and theyre hands down the best congas Ive ever had [although they were already well played in when I got them]. Theyre old scuffed and the head on the quinto doesnt quite sit right anymore, but the sound somehow combines the warmth of those old style seventies congas with the sharpness of lps [in fact I much prefer them to lps]. All the other guys are jealous of them!
Only problem is the weight- they seem much heavier than any other brand-and just to punish myself im putting a strap on and using the quinto instead of a timbau for a carnival tour starting soon! Time for some serious stamina training....
So to conclude, anyone interested in meinl marathons- go for it, especially at that price.
Peace- Congastu
congastu

Postby CongaCaja » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:18 am

Hi CongaStu,

Thanks goodness that we have reasonably understanding girlfriends or our lives might have a bit more complicated after our drum purchases. :)

Also, I know what you mean about the weight of the meinls. I think that rubber wood is more dense than oak (of LP's). I have picked up meinl's of other people (since I don't own any) and they are hefty. It's probably a good thing that they are only 2 ply shells. If they were 3 ply like LP, I am not sure I could lift them. :D

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:22 pm

Is not Siam Oak fancy words for "Rubber Wood"? I read somewhere it is the same thing.

Alberto Gandulla
RitmoBoricua

Postby CongaCaja » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:31 am

I did not think that Siam Oak was the same as Rubber Wood, but since I am not a horticulturist, I did a bit of searching on the net.

From Mienl's web site: "rubber wood" = Hevea brasiliensis Muell.-Arg
The latter is the "fancy [latin] words" for rubber wood...
and some info from Purdue University Horticultural Dept:
Purdue's info on Hevea brasiliensis

On the other hand, types of oak have latin names that begin with "Quercus". For example...
"white oak" = Quercus alba
Purdue's info on white oak
"red oak" = Quercus rubra
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources info on Red Oak

I could not find a latin name for "siam oak" so I suspect that the word "siam" is not indicative a particular sub species of oak but rather only the geographical region from which the wood orignates (I could be wrong on this point but it is immaterial). To find the exact sub species of oak that is commonly found in Siam (Thailand) would take more research that I don't believe is necessary to answer your question.

So, it seems that Siam Oak and Rubber Wood are two distinct species of wood which most likely have their only unique characteristics and thus lend (in part) to the sonic distinctions between LP and Meinl (Marathon Exclusive) drums.

... cjk

Edited By CongaCaja on 1086676466
CongaCaja

Postby Ivan » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:54 pm

Nice GON BOPS on Ebay - bid is low so far...

[url=[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=622&item=3728684964&rd=1]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....64&rd=1[/url]

Check'em out.

Ivan :;):
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Return to CongaSet and accessories