Advice for first-time Conga buyer - Which one is the better deal?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Ian Sumbae » Wed May 26, 2004 12:32 am

Hi all!

I am a beginner (have taken some classes once a week for 7-8 months now) and I am buying my first set of congas.

I will buy used drums since that is the only thing I can afford for the time being.

At the moment I have two options to choose from:

1) Meinl Marathon series (dark wood) (quinto and conga) which are practically new (only 6 months old and looks mint) with original heads. Price: 340 Euros (approx. 405 US$)

2) Gon Bops (quinto and conga) which are about 15 years old and have been played a lot. They are dark wood as well. I don't know the model, but probably IC...something (they are so worn that the model name/number was unreadable). But I think still seemed ok without any real damage. Price: 240 Euros (approx. 291 US$).

I've heard the Gon Bops should be good quality, but on the other hand, the Meinls are almost new...?

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions, as I am totally new to this and have no experience in what is a better deal.. Is there anything special I should be careful about (especially with the older ones perhaps, can they go out of shape or break because of aging or wearing...?).

I tried to ask my conga teacher, but he just said both kinds are good drums. ...So any help would be nice!
Ian Sumbae

Postby Ian Sumbae » Wed May 26, 2004 12:40 am

BTW I think the model name of the Gon Bop might have something with 3614 in it, if that makes any difference. Thanks again!
Ian Sumbae

Postby mjw » Wed May 26, 2004 7:49 am

The marathons are a good purchase, I had mine for 9 years (constantly gigged, no problems) before selling them on.

The Gon Bops, if in good condition, are VERY good drums - if you play them and the marathons side by side you'll hear the difference immediately.

Hope that helps...
mjw

Postby Tonio » Wed May 26, 2004 8:46 pm

Ian,
I don't know about the marathons, however they are new as you mentioned.
Gon Bops are great congas, the IC model are International models which have the best hardware and is said to be the top model. However , they are old and may require new heads, the staves (wood) could be cracked where is important. You would need to check for yourself. But for that price, I would probably get them if they were in decent condition-but thats just me.
You should really play them first, to see if they really need any repairs. PLay them side by side, they will definately have a different tone vs Meinl's as MJW mentioned.
Then you would need to decide if its worth the risk getting something that would need repair(if it did). Gon Bops are notorious of needing repair, but are some great sounding drums. There isn't much being played today in the professional scene.

Not to confuse you since this would be your first set. Pick the pick one that would give you immediate satisfaction.

Good luck

T
Tonio

Postby Jongo » Wed May 26, 2004 9:22 pm

I think I would go with the Gon Bops but I would check the condition of them very closely. If they are in good condition Gon Bops are going to give you a better response and they are going to be a better investment of your hard earned money. If the condition of the Gon Bops is sub par maybe then go with Meinl. By sub-par I am talking about cracks, staves separating, the drum being out of round etc. I would check it out and go for it, that is what I would do. Hope that helps a little.
Jongo

Postby Raymond » Thu May 27, 2004 12:59 pm

I'll be concern about the state of the Gon Bops! The Meinl's are a good buy since appear you will be able to get replacement parts or heads and/or might be in better state.

That first set of congas is important, especially if you are getting serious. (PLUG). Seen those comments in this forum about the Pearl Elites for the price they are offering? Have you check them out! You might have a good deal with brand new professional congas....

Tell us what you get.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Ian Sumbae » Sat May 29, 2004 1:38 pm

Hi, thanks for your advice!

I will go and have a closer look at the condition of the Gon Bops and go with them if ok, otherwise the Meinl.

I will get back and tell the result!!

Looking forward to getting my own drums - and then practice a lot!! :D :D

I.
Ian Sumbae

Postby Isaac » Sun May 30, 2004 8:45 am

Keep in Mind , that the quinto is nice to have, but you
will want to have a Tumbadora (12.5") for most latin
music.
~ Isaac ~
Funky Tradition
Isaac

Return to CongaSet and accessories