Conga diameter - where is it measured?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby HappySlapper » Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:53 am

Greetings people,
This is perhaps a stupid question but where is the diameter of congas measured? Across the head at its highest point? Or the widest part of the rim? Or the base?

I'm trying to help somebody identify the size of conga he has
I've got LP Matadors (conga and tumba)and I'm finding it tricky to find anything corresponding to 11 3/4" and 12 1/2" .
Any help appreciated.
HappySlapper

Postby Tonio » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:59 am

its measured normally on outside of the head. But different manufactures can have their own specifications, especially when replacing the head/skin is concerned. It also helps to see how warped the actual drum is when measuring:)
Tonio

Postby CongaCaja » Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:28 pm

based on measurements of my LP Matadors, it seems that the number is the diameter of the drum at the point where the bearing edge begins to taper towards the top of the drum. So if you meature at the very top of the drum you will get a number that is about half inch less.

Example, my 11.75 conga measures about 11.25 inches at the head.

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby MC Johnny Cruz » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:49 pm

Do the new rims (soft curve of comfort curve) fit on the older Matadors? I have a Matadore Conga that I just bought. How can I ID the year and things? There is a magic marker marking inside and it looks like 1989 but writing is scribbled.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be who you've always been."
MC Johnny Cruz

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:43 pm

MC Johnny Cruz wrote:Do the new rims (soft curve of comfort curve) fit on the older Matadors? I have a Matadore Conga that I just bought. How can I ID the year and things? There is a magic marker marking inside and it looks like 1989 but writing is scribbled.

Hi. Go to http://www.lpmusic.com and look in conga accessories or parts is under the catalogs section and find the rim for matador congas. :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby rhumbajo » Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:22 am

CongaCaja wrote:..where the bearing edge begins to taper towards the top of the drum....

By 'bearing edge', do you mean the outside diameter of the shell, where the rounded edge starts?

???
|c:

-r
As long as I have my family, my music, and popcorn... life is good. <c:
rhumbajo

Return to CongaSet and accessories