LP Performer series congas

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby pasqua » Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:13 am

Hi guys, I'm a new user here by "Congaboard" and I would like to submit a question to you.
My congas set is composed by quinto/conga LP "classic model" and I'm looking for a second hand tumba of the same model to complete my set but it is not so easy to find one here in Italy. So I had a look in the web and I found a shop in USA where they sell a new LP "Performer series" tumba at a very interesting price. This is a wooden tumba, standard size (12-1/2") that looks similar to the classic model one.
My problem is that I never heard talking of this "performer series" model, I also didn't find any information about it on the LP catalog and on the web in general. So, before buying it I would like to know something more about this model.
Is there anybody who knows this model and can explain its characteristics to me? I mean, I need to know if this tumba can match with my quinto/conga classic model.
Thank you very much for your help.
I hope to hear something from you very soon.

Pasqua
pasqua

Postby yalla » Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:38 am

Michele ma sei tu?
...avevo appena inserito la stessa domanda anch'io...
Sorry guys for writing in Italian, I was just telling to pasqua that I already just posted the same question...
BYE ;)
nadie se salva de la rumba
yalla

Postby pasqua » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:48 am

Ciao Yalla, ebbene si, sono proprio io. Ho voluto scrivere anch'io, così ne ho approfittato per registrarmi nel sito dato che può sempre essere utile comunicare con i butei che percuotono nel mondo... Appena ho inviato la mia mail ho visto che tu mi avevi preceduto... Grazie in ogni caso per il tuo interessamento e a presto. (speriamo che qualcuno si faccia vivo...).
Pasqua (soprannome affibbiatomi tanti anni orsono dai miei amigos).

Hello guys, sorry for writing in italian but I had to answer to Yalla, a friend of mine who also lives in Verona.
Some days ago I explained to Yalla what I was looking for (a secon hand tumba) and what I found out in the web (a new LP "performer series"). He also doesn't know too much about this model and he told me he would have asked information about it on congaboard. I also did it, as I was thinking of register myself in this site and take the chance to have a chat with people who loves the percussion world.
See you soon

Pasqua
pasqua

Postby yalla » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:49 pm

Gotcha!!!!! Ciao Michele!
Well it looks like Performer series are economic congas made by LP, but a bit better quality than CP ones - still I wonder why they're not mentioned on the on-line catalogue into LP site.
...correct? :D
yalla

Postby Raymond » Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:08 pm

Once in awhile LP will make a special line of an instrument, that is not in their regular catalog, for a vendor or vendors. I think that is the case of the Caliente and this new Performer Series. You will not find it in their catalog because is not part of their regular line up of instruments. Is just for those vendor or vendors.

If I recall correctly, the Performer Series is a budget version of the Matador line. They are in professional sizes and not beginner sizes like the Aspire Line. They look pretty good to me. Caliente is another line but they look cheaper in quality.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby yalla » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:09 pm

Thank you Ray..... but I just found out that MusiciansFriend don't ship overseas... and we are in Italy :( :( :(
Pasqua... femo gnente! :angry:
yalla

Postby pasqua » Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:36 pm

Thank you Raymond for your info.
As Yalla already wrote the items of musiciansfriend.com only can be shipped inside the USA and as we live in Italy we have no chance to receive them. It's a pity because I was thinking this tumba could match my LP classic set very well.
Anyways, thank you once more for your help.
Bye
Pasqua
pasqua

Postby CongaCaja » Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:07 am

I'm not sure that the LP Performer would be a good match for your LP Classic. There has been discussion on the board about these models before. I did some investigation into the Performer line about a year ago and the someone at LP told that these were a bit below the quality of the Matador line.

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby pasqua » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:12 am

Thank you CongaCaja,
considering the price ($ 200) I could imagine that the quality of performer series line is not sublime!
But if not a LP classic tumba which one could be a good budget option to match a LP classic quinto/conga set?

Pasqua
pasqua

Postby CongaCaja » Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:05 am

one thing that is different about the LP Classics is that they have the "hand picked" heads. These seems to me to be more consistent in quality then the lower lines (Matadors, Performers, Aspires, etc.).

According to LP, the Matadors are one step lower then the LP Classics. The only significant difference regarding sound will be the head. The other differences (the rims and the lug plates) will have no affect on the sound.

So, if you don't want to pay for an LP Classic tumba, then you could purchase a LP Matador tumba...if you don't mind the difference in heads. Who knows...you might get lucky with the head on the Matador.

Personally, I have two Matadors ( conga and tumba ) and I replaced the heads on both. I did not purchase the LP hand picked heads, but rather I had a local drum manufacturer re-skin them for me. They sound quite nice (in my opinion).

best of luck... chris
CongaCaja

Postby pasqua » Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:24 am

Thank you Chris,
so, do you think that if I put one LP hand-picked head on the Performer or Matador tumba the sound quality of the drum get improved and could get closer to the warm and deep tone that marks out the Classic model? (...OK... Performer one step lower than Matador...)
And what about wood quality and shell contour? I suppose that these characteristics also affects the drum's sound. Classics and Matadors are crafted with siam oak, they have a good rounded shell but what about Performers?

Pasqua
pasqua

Postby CongaCaja » Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:16 pm

Well, I would suspect that putting a LP hand-picked head on a Matador or Performer would improve the sound...but I must admit I'm guessing a bit because I really haven't had any "hands on" experience with the Performer. What I know about the Performer is from reseach (web sites, phone calls) only.

I *think* the shells of the Performer are similar to the Matador but on that point I'm not sure. The reason that I think this is the case is because the Performer are offered in the same sizes as Matadors (which are different from Aspire).

If you like the sound/feel of a LP Classic tumba, then maybe that's the way to go (the hand-picked on the lower-end drum). But personally, I'm glad that I found a local source for the replacement skins on my Matodors...I like the more natural feel of non-treated skins. I'm not sure what LP does to their skins to make then transparent, but it also changes the feel...in my opinion.

good luck....chris
CongaCaja

Postby pasqua » Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:09 am

Thanks for your suggestions CongaCaja.
Well, after long inquiries I finally decided to leave the Performer option and buy a LP Classic tumba. On http://www.anydrum.com they sell it out for $ 299,95. There's also an Italian LP endorser percussionist that could get it at a reduced price. So, now I'm just thinking if it is more advantageous ordering the tumba in USA or buying it here in Italy. In the next days I will come to a decision.
As far as natural heads concerns I have never tried them on congas. My experience with natural heads just restricts itself to African drums (djembe), that have a goat head, thinner than congas one. That sustains much more all drum's tones. But, as you know, employment and aim of congas and djembe are different each other.
I will try anyway to get more information about natural heads for congas (do they provide the drums' tones with something particular?). You never can tell, If one of my hand-picked heads breaks I could think to replace it with a natural one!

Pasqua
pasqua

Postby Raymond » Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:12 pm

The thing with natural heads is the thickness of the head and how long it takes to break in. The thickness will "tell" you about the overtones and projection of the sound. A thick head will project less and will tend to have less overtones. A thinner one will do otherwise. The "break in" is the process that takes the head to reach its peak sound. Some instruments like cowbells and heads need to have some playing and use for them to reach their "peak sound." (Personally, I like mine "medium thick". Hard to explain. Is something you learn by looking at the end from below).

When you say "hand picked", do you mean LPs marketing gimmick for their natural heads? LP heads appears to be "treated" to just leave the "skin" only. Personally, I never liked them because for me it has been an adventure to see if when the head breaks in it will have the sound I like. Plus in some instances the sound at the beginning could be awful until breaks in. (Not that bad with congas but with bongo heads, LP heads' sound is not that good). Have to tell you that I have seen some LP heads that sound great, of course after some break in. However, they are others's congas and not mine.....

Is trial and error in some instances.

I hope this helps....
Raymond

Postby pasqua » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:57 pm

Hi guys,
thanks a lot for the explanation of the heads, Raymond. Personally I never have difficulties with my LP Hand Picked in reaching the break in. I need to re-establish the original tuning of the congas after some playing, but this happens particularly in winter, when temperature is cold and climat is damp.
As far as LP Hand Picked heads concerns I know that they should be selected in a particularly scrupulous way. Maybe their quality was superior some years ago, but this is just my opinion.
Concerning thickness, this is not too large. Anyway I think that head's excellence does not dipend on leather's thickness but on its quality.
I'd like to know why the natural non-treated heads which CongaCaja is talking about have something particular - maybe they produce a more natural sound both in overtones, volume and in projection of sound itself... Does all this dipend on thickness or on quality?

Pasqua
pasqua

Next

Return to CongaSet and accessories