ISLA PERCUSSION - Discussion, Quality, Experience, etc

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: ISLA PERCUSSION - Discussion, Quality, Experience, etc

Postby rhythmrhyme » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:37 pm

vasikgreif wrote:
Rumbero4ever wrote:Vasikgreif - that's where you're wrong because the improved drums cost more now. It's a lot more work to pay attention to the detail work. Guys, at the new prices, the drums are STILL a great deal, especially considering the unique tone wood they are made off. I'm certain that you're all aware of that. ISLA drums are unique in every sense of the word - PERIOD !!!!

Sorry, but it isn't possible to defend Isla with your arguments. You're right, the drums cost more now. That said, Mario or you didn't tell anyone that the price was so low because there can be quality issues - I would happily have paid the extra cost to get best quality. What you and Mario should say now is "we are really sorry for our past issues and we can guarantee the new Isla drums will be of the best quality". I trust Mario is a good guy, but this attitude to customers is no way acceptable.

+1 Vas, in solidarity my brother!!! I couldn’t agree more.
Every time Rumbero4Ever acts negatively or posts on this thread prior to Isla resolving prior deals it is simply damaging to Isla's reputation. Isla and Mario are mentioned soooo many times on this thread that it is always top 3 in a google search for Isla or Mario Punchard. This is terminal my friends, Isla will never rebuild its reputation in North America prior to resolving its relationship with this forum. We live in an internet society and almost everyone will do a google or yahoo search for product reviews prior to making a purchase. The smart marketing move would be to stop bumping this and other Isla threads to the top all the time and only reignite it once Isla has its poop in a group.
I had a brief email exchange with Mario, he continues to voice a commitment to sending me new drums and acknowledges that I got a “bad set when he was moving”. However, with all due respect, I’m not the only one and he doesn’t seem anywhere close to acknowledging this…
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby rhythmrhyme » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:38 am

Rumbero4ever wrote:So how do you explain his sales increase to the U.S.A and even more so to Europe, and customers emailing back with "thank you's" and " these drums are awesome". Are they all hallucinating ? :lol:
Later Guys.

That's funny - when mario emailed me he stated that sales in the US are totally flat! If he's selling drums, where are my replacements? I know that Mario is struggling, don't make his operations out to be something they're not, it's only going to further compromise your credibility.

Rumbero, prior to you ever meeting Mario there were LOTS of examples on the net of his work gone bad. His drums were frequently resold by buyers in short order to try and recoup their losses. The posts aren't up anymore because most people just gave up on him. You're new to all of this and really have no idea what you're talking about. You are also turning out to be argumentative and inflammatory, probably from talking with Mario and hearing all the hate he has towards the "collectors" and materialists that frequent this forum (his words). Cognitive dissonance is a b**ch and the truth hurts. Is it easier on your self esteem to villainize those who give critical feedback than to be a man, apologize for your mistakes, and try to make things right? I'm still waiting Papa!

Isla actually has the potential to capture significant market share in north America. Getting a couple sets north of the border is nothing. A couple sets to people he probably knows that represent his best effort, an effort that is likely not sustainable.
rhythmrhyme

Postby vinnieL » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:41 pm

rhythmrhyme wrote:
Rumbero4ever wrote:So how do you explain his sales increase to the U.S.A and even more so to Europe, and customers emailing back with "thank you's" and " these drums are awesome". Are they all hallucinating ? :lol:
Later Guys.

That's funny - when mario emailed me he stated that sales in the US are totally flat! If he's selling drums, where are my replacements? I know that Mario is struggling, don't make his operations out to be something they're not, it's only going to further compromise your credibility.

Rumbero, prior to you ever meeting Mario there were LOTS of examples on the net of his work gone bad. His drums were frequently resold by buyers in short order to try and recoup their losses. The posts aren't up anymore because most people just gave up on him. You're new to all of this and really have no idea what you're talking about. You are also turning out to be argumentative and inflammatory, probably from talking with Mario and hearing all the hate he has towards the "collectors" and materialists that frequent this forum (his words). Cognitive dissonance is a b**ch and the truth hurts. Is it easier on your self esteem to villainize those who give critical feedback than to be a man, apologize for your mistakes, and try to make things right? I'm still waiting Papa!

Isla actually has the potential to capture significant market share in north America. Getting a couple sets north of the border is nothing. A couple sets to people he probably knows that represent his best effort, an effort that is likely not sustainable.

You got that right! Isla's reputation is damaged, possibly beyond repair.
Mistakes:

90 day turnaround. UM not even close don't promise what you know you won't even come close to. Mine took 6 month.

quality construction. Nope, bad crowns,worm holes or knots in the wood that fall out LOL, Large glue lines that although glued are a weak point. The strongest seams in wood are always tight without excessive glue.

Chalk writing visible under the finish of drums that was not cleaned off prior to finishing. This was the case of a member here and I saw those pictures.

Always some excuse for delays. Um family emergency, His machinist had to leave to Puerto Rico with a family emergency, A die broke the only place to get it is from Germany,

I could go on and on about how he tries to make it sound like you are family this is business people don't need fast talk "yeah papa" "It's in your blood papa" "Your drums rose straight from the earth papa" "A guy came in and offered me a crazy amount of money to buy YOUR set because they are so incredible" "I'm staring at your set right now papa" "I got your crowns right next to me papa" "I saved special and unique pieces of wood just for your drums papa" "The earth trembles and shakes with the sound of our tumba" ETC

Any of this ridiculous rhetoric sound familiar?

People need friendly professionalism and a solid product that the maker will back up. This has not been the case. Had Mario stayed in the states he would have to face up and fix his errors but hs move to Belize all but ensured that it would be difficult if not impossible to make him either accept returns get people their money back or a new set of well built drums.
vinnieL

Postby TONE74 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:31 pm

I could go on and on about how he tries to make it sound like you are family this is business people don't need fast talk "yeah papa" "It's in your blood papa" "Your drums rose straight from the earth papa" "A guy came in and offered me a crazy amount of money to buy YOUR set because they are so incredible" "I'm staring at your set right now papa" "I got your crowns right next to me papa" "I saved special and unique pieces of wood just for your drums papa" "The earth trembles and shakes with the sound of our tumba" ETC

Thats some funny shit right there papa... lol :D
TONE74

Postby TONE74 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:14 pm

Just to be clear rumbero, I am a happy Isla custumer. I bought a bata set and a tumbadora set a few years ago when the quality was supposedly lower. Haven't had any issues at all with my drums they have the minor imperfections as stated by others but I actually like that they are "unique" in that way. Mario also kept his word with me and I got my drums when I was supposed to. I would actually buy from him again if I needed to.

Just had to laugh at Vinnies comment though. All in good fun but my timing was bad I gotta admit. I myself would prefer if you stick around and keep the updates going. I like the drums and always check for new pics.
TONE74

Postby rhythmrhyme » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:51 pm

Rumbero4ever wrote:You know what guys, I rest my case. I'll focus more of my time playing my drums and enjoy our project here in Belize. I'm putting together a salsa band and we'll be the first band here in Belize to do so. I have a Mexican/Cuban horn section. Mario, my son and I are on percussion's. We are so excited since we'll be launching off in August for La Reina de La Costa Maya pageant in San Pedro. It's a three day event with the participation of Mexico, San Salvador, Panama, Costa Rica, Honduras, Guatemala and Belize. We have a lot of work ahead of us. So guys here's where I say " Hasta La Vista". It was interesting being a member of congaplace and I really enjoyed it. VinnieL and Rhythmrhyme I sincerely wish you the best for the future. If anyone is interested in purchasing Isla drums just got to their blog. They will be constantly updating their new products.

As I stated above - this is probably the smart marketing move. The only logical reason you would have for posting the way you have been is to help your friend manage his businesses reputation. This is certainly a respectable goal and one I would support. But you're starting to drink the cool-aid and loosing perspective. I WANT to be a satisfied Isla customer!! I WANT my deal with Mario made right and to get drums that I can actually play!! I WANT to trust Mario!! I just can’t because I'm still out in the cold on a deal he continues to say he'll make right. As I've stated to Mario and the board many times, if he makes this deal right I'll "joint his choir" and stand behind him and Isla. I know he's had a rough time of it, but this is an integrity issue that I'll never ever let go.
rhythmrhyme

Postby vinnieL » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:26 pm

No need to leave the board. Just because we don't share the same sentiment for Isla drums does not mean that we cannot share other ideas or have other things that we share in common.
vinnieL

Postby pcastag » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:09 pm

I guess if you could sum this all up it would be don't put out products that you wouldn't be proud to own yourself! Regardless of sound those issues mentioned ( egging on the drums, wormholes in wood and open staves, joints) will eventually cause oproblems with that great sound and playability. The new drums may be great and I hope his business is doing well, but I'm sure he's lost customers due to the negative press he's received on this forum.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby Killak » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:20 am

You still can't convince me rumbero4ever was not Mario himself. If you look back at his original post he just began with a simple "isla drums look great I am going to buy one" - it wasn't until later until the hardware store owning friend trend emerged. Even if it wasn't him the dude was definitely acting in very close concert with him.

Whatever the case I want to thank those who came forward and told of their honest experiences good and bad with Isla. I've had people ask about that company and I referred them to this thread and I think they were saved a lot of trouble by going with other artisans who have quality products and dont have these questions hanging around them. As big as the internet is there are very few places to get good info on where to spend your money when it comes to congas and other types of african and caribbean drums. This is truly a specialized type of thing and people such as myself who are new to it rely heavily on forums like this one to do our research and make educated decisions about where to spend hard earned money. So for what its worth good looking out for taking the time to contribute and share your experiences.
Killak

Postby rhythmrhyme » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:57 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Till we meet online again - it is the smart move for Rumbero to pull down his posts, albeit a wee predictable.
Attachments
Run Brutha Run.jpg
Run for the hills LOL
Run Brutha Run.jpg (6.93 KiB) Viewed 7425 times
Last edited by rhythmrhyme on Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhythmrhyme

Postby docarroyo » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:44 am

Oye Meng not only can you guys beat a drum but you can also beat a dead horse.
docarroyo

Postby tigre77 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:01 am

lol dos. Ever time I read this thread there is so much overlap I get dizzy.
tigre77

Postby rhythmrhyme » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:05 am

You bet!

I figure I've gotten about $500 worth of laughs out of the recent development - only 3000 more to go.
rhythmrhyme

Postby Mr. Conga » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:20 am

I agree with TONE 74, this tread is sooo funny!.......
you gotta look at it trough the bright side.

So who gives a care if Mario comes up first on google hits for conga makers or on yahoo, for isla percussions.....
Or even here!..... is all in fairness...all treads get the same chance, all makers of hand made congas have their spot here.

THERE IS NO NEED TO DELETE THIS THREAD!....just cause some one dont like the idea of Mario getting lots of hits, and exposure.
All makers of congas, and topics have the same chance here on this forum.
We all click on what interest us, no one pays us to click Marios forum thread, and no one puts a gun to our face to read this.

I find this to be one of the mos interesting post on the forum specially when people post picture.
And extremely funny , indeed this topic thread is.
We all keep it more interesting, as the years have gone by.

It would not be fair to delete it!....if we dont agree ith certain opinions or share the same experience with Isla, we dont have to read if we dont like it or agree with it.

You dont like this thread go read something else!!!!......
i say that with all respect to all of you.

I for one have had some good experiences, with Isla, but also some very negative ones , you all will wanna hear.
But i have to lough at all the bad experiences now, and lough out loud, remebering stuff, and comments such as Vinnie's summary of ocassions.

Isla is getting lost of press because we write about it, and more importantly we love to read about it, good or bad.
Lots of negative feedback though which has been stronger then other positive remarks, so i dont see how Isla benefits from it, unless they fix the old er issues they are ignoring with previous costumers instead of promoting their new set they just made their new hardware , their new wood, before they wanna try to get a new costumer, fix and send drums to the costumers that have payed, and received defective stuff from the older sets, replace parts that were made in a hurry, and keep getting defective with time, if the costumer has asked for replacements, after all when Isla started they swore to the quality gueantee, and if a shell or hardware brakes, bents or goes bad, or is sent bad will be replaced, that is what Isla said they would do on their old website, and on the phone. .....is only fair for all,...and to keep business going!...... :mrgreen:

Keep good quality of the new drums through out, not just some nice looking advertising sets, but all of the one that come out of Isla from now on... Keep doin great music Isla!...... but defenetly dont leave your past costumers and friends under the sea of your Iland!!!
Mr. Conga

Postby Jaisen Torres » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:13 pm

I have checked this thread out from time to time & i understand how frustrating it must to be to feel you did not get what you expected at the completion of your order, however i also want to remind members of the forum that there are a ton of people who got more then they expected from Mario at Isla Percussion. Mario is a very humble & good brother, I want to let you guys know , it aint a peice of cake to pull a percussion company off the ground, the majority of these craftsmen like Mario , Jay Bereck, Matthew Smith, Akbar Mahogdan, even Cali Rivera, just to mention a few , barely make any money at all at the end of your deposits & orders, they put it out there for the love of there craft & musicians . I know this for a fact i have been playing , collecting , tradeing etc. for many years.
I want to big Mario up for his work & love for the music as a musician , his instruments & his time & dedication as a craftsmen / artisan, he is a good brother with a good heart , & he deserves alot of respect for even putting a percussion line out there for us to take advantage of & enjoy, Mario I want you to know i love your new line & your work has gotten better with time , I wish you all the best & for the record i would buy another set from you anytime, & I would recomend you & your products to anyone in the blink of an eye , regaurdless of what anyone has to say , True Story....
Another thing i would like to mention is since the very start of his line , Mario has always been the fairest with his prices.
Im gona end this note by saying im putting this out there because this is how i feel about this thread, I dont owe Mario anything & vice versa , he dont owe me anything...
Fellas there arent many good companies & percussion lines putting it out , there , so give this brother & his percussion line a little respect & gratitude for being there in the first place....
I have two quintos , A tres golpe & salidor from his hands for many years now & never once have i had any problems with my drums or Mario more imoportantly... Im sorry for those who have had a bad experience , work with the brother if there is a issue , you would be surprised how much of a good person Mario is... take care fellas....
Jaisen

Last edited by Jaisen Torres on Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaisen.
Jaisen Torres

PreviousNext

Return to CongaSet and accessories