URGENT!: the best part of the hide to use ?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Roryboy » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:44 pm

Hello,

I live on a farm and have access to a fresh calf hide. I'm about to skin the animal...... does anybody know which is the most sort after part of the skin? I think its the belly so I was going to make the cut along the spine.... can anybody offer any advice? I say urgent because I should really do it in the next hour or so whilst theres still daylight and if I leave it till tomorow it may start to rot....thanks guys
rory
Roryboy

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:30 pm

The hide is the thickest around the stomach...."JC" Johnny Conga,..... :;):
JohnnyConga

Postby Roryboy » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:05 pm

Thanks johnny, just finished. I'm gonna leave the hair on and put them on my bongoes. It was a british fresian calf so they'l be black and white, i'l try and get a picture of them on the forum.
Roryboy

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:37 pm

Why are u leaving the hair on it???...."JC" Johnny Conga.....
JohnnyConga

Postby Roryboy » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:13 am

Hi jc

i already have some bongoes for "conventional" playing so these are a 1 off. I have bougarabou drums- like an elongated djembe with cowhides ( hair traditionally left on), sort of an african conga- so they will go nicely with them..

rors
Roryboy

Postby Roryboy » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:46 am

Hi - didn't actually answer your question as to why, - its just a slightly different sound, warmer, more muffled, not as sharp on slaps, but don't let that put you off. Because proportionally, the interval between the notes is still the same it just gives a slight downshift in the overall effect, if that makes sense. Its quite forgiving on the hands too. I'v found It also gives you another option on slaps, you can pull off big open handed, fingers apart, hands loose slaps towards the middle of the durm that sound great....
rors
Roryboy

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:24 pm

As Fransisco Aguabella would say "soun goo"(sound good)....."JC" Johnny Conga.... :;):
JohnnyConga

Return to CongaSet and accessories