Stands....discuss... - which stands to use

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Tone » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:45 pm

Hello,

I am considering buying a pair of stands for my conga and tumba, and would like to know what system to use between the various systems. What are they, how much space they take, stability, weight, gigging friendliness....and all that you experienced people know.

Thanks for the help.

Tone
tone
Tone

Postby otto » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:33 pm

Hello Tone
I recently got a double stand for my LP congas. I saw it on the Guitar Center web site for $189.00 but I got it on ebay for $30.00 band new in package. The stand is great fully adjustable and strong. Check ebay with a "Conga Stand" search.

I have used the stand a couple of times, but I must say I prefer sitting to standing.

Good luck
Otto
otto

Postby Juzzi » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:37 pm

Hello Tone!
I have Pearl PC900 stands. They are quite steady but a bit clumsy. When I play with 3 congas and bongos there is a small problem fitting them all together. But they are otherwise ok. They are tiltable and all-fit design. I can use them also with djembe and timbal.

http://www.pearldrum.com/01_pperc/PC_900_lrg.jpg

-J
Juzzi

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:50 pm

I just received my New conga stand from Pearl drums..they are the basket stands. Steel polished and they work great. Once you adjust the height there is no need to take them apart, one stand fits into the other and you can hand carry them, when necessary. I never break mine down, unless I'm traveling on a plane. check out the New Pearl catalog and look on page 51 and you will see the PC 110's....Mine came today and they look good and very strong and the drums do not move at all......"JC" Johnny Conga- Pearl Artist/Independant/Endorsee... :;):
JohnnyConga

Postby Tone » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:02 pm

Thanks for those first replies. I was wondering about basket stands versus the the other system with the stem in the middle. What are the differences? Are the baskets taming the sound or the resonnace at all? Is that other system stable and I suppose not as good for finding the right tilt. Any users out there?

thanks

tone
tone
Tone

Postby Raymond » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:55 pm

The difference of the basket and the "regular stand", with the congas held in the middle, I think more is a "logistical" decision. The baskets are easier to carry and their "tilting" mechanism is more user friendly than with the "double stand". The baskets are easier to carry too!

The stand has the problem, at least the LP double stand that I have, that is heavy. Also, if the "holders" that you have to place in the congas are not place "right" for you, it might be uncomfortable. (Example, some people like their conga/quinto tilted a litte bit. If you want it tilted with a stand, you need to get into the conga, and get the holders that you screw into the conga "screwed" the right way. That could be a problem for some people). With baskets, most of what I have seen, you could "tilt" the basket mechanism and get what you want. Also, you could have the both congas, or the three congas, place more to your like when you have baskets. With a stand you are stucked with the distance given by the "middle post".

Also, money....sophisticated and good baskets tend to be more expensive than buying the stand....

More comments might follow!

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:52 pm

I find the LP conga stands heavy and cumbursome. The basket stands hold the congas in their place and their is no movement and you can put them as close as they need to be to each other. They are sturdy and the new polished steel ones look really good and are very strong. that is my recommendation....."JC" Johnny Conga..... :;):
JohnnyConga

Postby otto » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:09 pm

Tone
JC is correct the basket stands are easier to work with. I got from Ebay new in box and it was only $50 its a great stand with the tilt cabability. you will find that a good basket will cost about 80.00 to 120.00. shop around and check ebay.

good luck
Otto
otto

Postby Tone » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:48 am

thank you so much everybody. Now that is what I call a helpful forum, and helpful answers!
I will definitely follow your advice and try to find some good basket stands on ebay.

Tone
tone
Tone

Return to CongaSet and accessories