Measuring Conga heads

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby gaijin94 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:16 pm

HI everyone ! I'm a mere beginner and am trying to find out as much as i can about congas. I bought a conga drum a lil while back and about to start practicing soon. but the head on my drum is severely cracked on the roll where it is adjusted for tuning. The drum is a Remo and the head that is broken is a Remo FiberSykn 3 Conga M4-F5 Head. I'm not real sure what this means. I can still sound out of the head but i was going to buy a new one ...... but I dont know what size this head is as i dont know how to measure it. Does anyone know about this kind of head and is it available or how to measure a head so i may be able to interchange the head with another brand.
Cheers all.
gaijin94

Postby Raymond » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:50 pm

In Remo Fyberskins, the F5 is the "film" they use for the synthetic head, the M4 refers to conga. For the size you need to look at the next number. Based on that next four digit number you will get the size of the conga:

1106 is Quinto - That is 11 inches in diameter
1175 is Conga - That is 11 3/4(or 0.75) in diameter
1250 is Tumbadora - That is 12 1/2 (or 0.50) in diameter

I believe to get the diameter or size you need to measure the circumference of the drum or the "hole" where the head is placed to determine the size. The best way to be sure, take the rim to the store and they will find the correct head. (Natural or synthetic, but make sure you remember the size).

Remo now makes another type of synthetic head that is called NuSkyn. The difference between Fyberskins and Nuskyns is that Fyberskins are thicker heads and have more overtones. (Overtones is the frequency or sounds that keep on ringing once you sound the instrument. For live performances is good because it gives more volume). Also, NuSkyns are mounted like natural heads with a rim just like natural heads normally are.

There is another brand of synthetic head from Evans that are more like Remo NuSkyns. In the event you want pre-mounted natural heads, LP, Meinl, Toca and Pearl make them. Also, they might have some "generic" pre-mounted heads at the stores

I hope this helps...Tell us what you find out...

Saludos!

Edited By Raymond on 1094673244
Raymond

Postby gaijin94 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:52 pm

Thank you Raymond for your very valueable assistance and wisdom. I will let you know how I go when I get around to sorting it all out. Once again thank you very much.

Cheers
gaijin94

Return to CongaSet and accessories