Listening and breaking down layers - Of Afro Cuban Rumba

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Congadelica » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:59 am

Hi Guys N gals,

Just in the middle of another marathon session of listening to my recent large collection of rumba Habanero and Mantazero Guganco columbia and some Bembe .
I was sat here listening and just breaking the layers down studying the patterns alined with the vocals then a rewind of certain tracks to listen in a different way to jsut listen to the whole ensenble mele of music .
Well my question to you mi Hermanos is how do you breaki it down when listening to live , Cd or mp3 music ?
I sometimes get a big smile on my face when I dont break the layers and get the full hit . I find the music very powerfull ,emotional to some extent . Lo siento la Rumba!!!!!.
I would like to add that only for this Forum I would not have been introduced to the music which had most input in development La Tumbadoras .

As you say Im Diggin it Hermanos

much respect :)

Marco

Edited By Congadelica on 1204423456
Congadelica

Postby zumbi » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:17 pm

not specifically for rumba but coming from the great john coltrane may be worth considering:
coltrane would advise to listen to the same tune several times in a row each time focusing on just one instrument, never leaving it for the whole duration...
then to another, and another, and another untill all instruments are covered.
of course this system is more easily applyed to a 5 minutes quartet tune than to a 90 minutes malher's symphony with a vast orchestra, soloist and chorus of close to 200 hundred elements... :laugh:
i think it can works for rumba thou.

Edited By zumbi on 1204546974
zumbi

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises