Giribilla and Batarumba - Que es estos?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:17 am

I'm reading a book RUMBA: DANCE AND SOCIAL CHANGE IN CONTEMPORARY CUBA by Yvonne Daniel.

She mentions "Giribilla" and "Batarumba" as rumba variants.

Anyways can someone give me more information about these? Are they dances? or rhythms?

The only info really provided describes Giribilla as super fast, based on Guaguanco, but sounding like Colombia because of the speed.

Is that all there is to it?
bongosnotbombs

Postby No.2-1820 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:45 am

Here's nice clip of Batarumba, I can't confess to having a clue how to define it, but had previously assumed (no doubt over simplistically) that it was rumba played on or including Bata drums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CybEC0rQos8

Any one else in the Bay Area got/had this flu that's going round ? Boy, I think I hear the 'bring out the dead' guy calling in my neighborhood.

Barrie
No.2-1820

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:16 pm

bongosnotbombs.....they are rhythms.. I had the opportunity to work With Yvonne in Miami..I also have her video and her book she gave me....yes these are two seperate rhythms....and your correct as far as tempo for jiribilla ,and Batarumba is just that Bata drums played over rumba as shown in the video from the 80's.....Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises