Rhythm Identification - Fill in the blanks.

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:03 pm

Amber wrote:Hi BNB,

just an idea: Maybe you can ask your teacher for permission of recording parts of his lessons? This way you might find out in the qietness of your home how the thing is constructed. As long as you do not misuse this( internet-publication! ) teacher normally do not mind.

:p Amber

Hello Amber,

Some of the guys in class do that, but they tell me it is difficult to make out whats going on, this class is outside with 10-15 people, playing from 1-3 drums for about 2 hours.

So in this class you have different levels of skill, and then people are making mistakes, and Carlos plays this bell, it's so loud, and he will hit it loud right in front of you to see if you can hold your rhythm....well it's pretty chaotic at times, but you do learn a lot actually.
bongosnotbombs

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:35 am

I forgot I had a recording of this bell pattern on the instructional cd Carlos sells us in his class, called Rumba Clave.

In the titles it is marked as Congo bell. I have attached a download of track 15, Congo Intro and track 17 Congo Bell and Clave, which demonstrates the bell pattern beginning just after the first strike of clave.

I attached the intro in the hopes that someone will be able to translate Carlos's words and shed some light on this pattern.

http://rapidshare.com/files/91651830/15_Congo_intro.m4a

http://rapidshare.com/files/92178957/17Congobellclave.m4a.html

Edited By bongosnotbombs on 1203113316

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... Carlos.jpg
bongosnotbombs

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:23 pm

I was hoping someone could translate Carlos's intro to this bell for me?

His accent is hard forme to understand, and my spanish is only so-so, but I do hear him refer to Palo and Makuta, in the intro to congo bell.

Anyways I'll see him tomorrow and ask him to shed some more light on this rhythm
bongosnotbombs

Postby blango » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:13 pm

Bombs,

From what i understand, and with all respect to anyone of the culture,

Congo are a people, sometimes called Bantu'

Some of the rhythms they play are Yuka, Makuta, and Palo. Yes, these are much more than rhythms, with a very deep culture attached to each...

As far as the rhythms, keep in mind, there are several rhythms within each, not to mention variations, regional and otherwise... etc.

re this rhythm, could be Palo, in this context.

It's always down to what Carlos says it is. If he calls it a congo, so be it!!! :D

He is the Grand Master... he is all that and more.

As always, i am a student of the tradition, i welcome advise and knowledge from the members.

Tony
blango

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:17 pm

Thanks Tony, from what little I am getting from Carlos's intro, it seems to me that he could possibly be referring to the bell as coming from the "Congo" culture. These 3 rhythms are also mentioned Makuta and Palo and Yuka in the intro.

So that sheds a little more light onto it for me thanks.

Edited By bongosnotbombs on 1203103266
bongosnotbombs

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:01 pm

Someone just told me the link to the bell pattern was not working so I have fixed it..sorry.

The link to the intro seems to work, I have edited the original posting of the links, back on page 2.

Edited By bongosnotbombs on 1203113362
bongosnotbombs

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises