Batas drums - need infos...

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Laurent Lamy » Thu Mar 29, 2001 11:15 am

I would like very much exchanging information about batas drums
Laurent Lamy

Postby Miguel Zamarripa » Mon Jun 11, 2001 8:50 pm

Hi,(Salut) Laurent i am sure you are aware of this fantastic web site called Batadrums.com , this site will link you to many others with lots of info. As for sharing info on Bata i have too in my hand the Amira/Cornelius Book and worked with it as a minus one method by sequencing the parts and its vey helpfull when not playing with other players. Presently i am transcribing(copying) the chants and toques of some albums of Bata by some artists, with the help of Thomas Altmann Lucumi song book, John Mason(Orin Orisa Book) and others. This quest is so rewarding but a little confusing, every one as a way of interpreting this music, all in all it's just inspiring. Let's just say that the information is out there for the curious musicians who are not in contact by blood and earth to this music , but it is up to us to share the respect and humility towards it, by continuing this humble quest of playing and be inspired by this incredible music. Peace
Miguel Zamarripa

Postby Laurent Lamy » Mon Jun 11, 2001 9:52 pm

Yes, i'm agree with you Miguel. Where do you come from?
I know the Amira and the Thomas Altman books. They are very good. I work with to! I try to learn with some masters like Aspirina, Orlando Poléo ect... and i played with us also. I learned the Oru Seco and i start to learn the others toque like rumba Ochossi, Tui tui, Olokun ect...
If you want, i would like very much to exchange percussion charts with you. Don't forget to see the Batabook on Congaplace. Maybe you help me to develop
it! Bye, i am very happy to exchange with you. Soon.
Laurent Lamy

Return to Bata Drums