CD-Descarga en California - Rebeca Mauleón - Killer Percussion

Let's talk about what can be found around that worth having..

Postby mcraghead » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:38 am

Has anyone heard the CD, "Descarga en California", by Rebeca Mauleón? It's been out about a month now. I usually don't do much Latin jazz (soy timbero - "¡Timba o muerte!"), but I like her work so I picked it up.

I LOVE this one! The percussion (all of it) is killer. I especially love tracks 4, 7, and 8. The other great thing about this CD, other than the great songs and the outstanding musicians that she uses it that it is so well recorded. Outstanding!

Even if you don't usually like Latin jazz this one is worth picking up if you like to try and mimic other players. This one is really great. :)
Michael K. Craghead

"Nunca Pescao, Siempre Tiburon"
mcraghead

Postby afrocubarico » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:02 am

mc,
I just had this one in my hands the other day while I was over at Tower Records but I wasn't too sure about it so I put it back. After reading your thread I kind of hoped I had taken it. I'll definitely pick it up this weekend. Thanks for the "review".

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby CUBOP IN CALI » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:55 pm

I got it a couple weeks ago . I like tracks #2 , #7 , #8 My favorite is #7 . I was hoping for a couple more tracks than 10 on the cd . I think Rebeca could have showed a little more of her talents on some of the songs not many solo's for her.But a good cd non the less.
CUBOP IN CALI

Postby fed » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:37 am

sound bites here Descarga En California
fed

Postby Diceman » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:10 pm

Mcraghead,

Thanks for the tip brother, good stuff very well recorded and produced.
Even with Gio dropping the occasional 'bomb', you can still hear everything clearly.

Ahhhh, if all other recordings were as 'clean' as this.......

Diceman
Diceman

Postby afrocubarico » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:04 am

Diceman,
What do you mean "with Gio dropping the occasional bomb"?

Cubop,
I totally agree, track #7 is my fav as well. Rebecca on piano while Gio shows command on his drums! Pura magia.

This cd definitely rocks!

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby Diceman » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:29 pm

Afrocubarico,

I mean it in the nicest possible way of course.

I mean when Gio does one of his super loud licks in the middle of nowhere, when you are least expecting it. His way of saying 'I'm still here'.
Its a term we use this side of the pond, for jazz drummers who suddenly hit a drum hard in no particular place just to keep people on their toes.
BTW I also love track 7.

Diceman
Diceman

Postby jorge » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:39 pm

Jimmy Branly's drum (bateria) solo in track 7 is as good as it gets. He stands on the shoulders of great Cuban drummers like Guillermo Barretto, Changuito, Horacio Hernandez, Ignacio Berroa, Enrique Pla, and Samuel Formell, but this solo is more clearly recorded and creatively deeper than I have heard any of them play. ñññÓ!
Jorge

Edited By jorge on 1155651510
jorge

Postby troels » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:43 am

Ordered this CD right away after listening to the samples on the CD Universe page! Great stuff!

Troels
troels

Postby troels » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:44 pm

Got it, and these days it's on heavy rotation on both iPod and stereo at home. Love it! Gio, Orestes and Armando - what can I say...

Just picked up "Bomba Bomba" by Barretto as well. If you haven't got in in your latin jazz collection - go get it! :)

Troels
troels

Return to Books, Videos, CD and other stuff