Paoli Mejias' New CD! - Transcend

Let's talk about what can be found around that worth having..

Postby afrocubarico » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:52 am

Hello everyone,
Just wanted to let everyone know that conguero Paoli Mejias' latest CD, Transcend, is now available. I just listened to it for the third time and was very impressed at the caliber of music! You can check out his website for more info: http://www.paolimejias.com

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:00 pm

What can I say, another 'barn burner" by Paoli....the brother burns...for me though it didn't excite me...for some reason with my 58 years on the planet ..I've just about heard it all, just being done by new artists......sorry that is my opinion...I know for u younger guys your easily impressed with all the "flash and burn" type playing, but do u enjoy it and can u make sense of what he is doing?...does it inspire you?....can u learn from it?....ask yourself these questions when listening to someone...so anybody else want to chime in on this?...for me there is only ONE-Giovanni Hidalgo, who continually outruns everybody around him.........."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:34 am

Agreed JC, there is no question the brother plays and has speed etc etc..

However it does very little for me to see drum rudiments thrown together in a mix on tumbadoras. Im a tumbador de la vieja guardia so to speak, afinque y sabor is what does it for me.

Well done to the brother for all his success and he has obvious tremendous dedication to his work and it shows in what he does. All respect given. Just not really my thing.
But again, I must say, the brother can and does play very well.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:02 am

All Props and Respect for sure, to Paoli, another job well done..."JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby mario2 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:34 pm

To answer your question JC I am inspired by Paoli. I am not inspired by pure speed but to me, he has a different sound and artistic style than some other heavy/speed guys. One reason ( for me, I think) is he doesnt seem to be linked to one particular teacher/mentor, he's kind of chosen his own path (I can identify with the lone wolf thing). I have his 1st CD Mi Tambor and after listening to some samples of the new one on CD baby I will definetely buy it. Again, this is what his music does for me, we all hear things differently.
Mario
mario2

Postby afrocubarico » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:46 am

I agree, Paoli definitely has a different sound and I think he plays with lots of heart. After listening to his first CD, Mi Tambor, and seeing a clip of him performing at one of the Heineken Jazz Festivals, I was convinced that this cat also has major chops.

His second CD, Transcend, seems to have more of a straight-ahead jazz flavor to it than Mi Tambor (in my opinion) but nevertheless, the music is very well put together and quite inspirational. Big props to Paoli for independently producing such a project and for helping to keep this music alive! I highly recommend it.

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:23 pm

After another listen of Paoli's new CD- I like tune number 5 they do in 7/4 and takes a solo in 7/4, oh yea!....and I like Jerry singing and the arrangments for tunes 8 and 9. Paoli's rhythmic brain is on fire!...."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Return to Books, Videos, CD and other stuff