Cuba & its Music - New Book

Let's talk about what can be found around that worth having..

Postby Berimbau » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:41 am

Greetings to All,
I'm not certain how many of us here are interested in the music history end of Afro-Cuban music. I'm certain that at least a few of us can quote Don Fernando Ortiz chapter and verse. Ned Sublette has recently published a very comprehensive book in English on the development of Afro-Cuban music. Cuba and its Music: From the First Drums to the Mambo is highly recommended. Published in 2004 by Chicago Review Press, the 672 page tome is only the first of two installments. This first volume deals extensively with the history and demographics of Cuba and how the music developed in various social and political environments. The various musical, social, and religious contributions of peoples from Nigeria, Cameroon, Benin, Spain, Haiti, and Kongo are meticulously covered in this most readable book. I believe the book is available through Descarga.com and Amazon.com. Read it and enjoy.

Saludos,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:31 pm

Hey guys I just saw the "Fiesta de Tambores" from 2 years ago in Havana..On the DVD, which u can acquire from Descarga.com features "Los Ibellis,Jr."(the twins). Now thay are kids that play rumba like there 40 years old and sing and play. The leader was 10 years old at the time of the filming and is now 12 going on 50. In the DVD you will see him play a very Mean quinto while singing the "gallo" parts, directing, and then going into the Bata drumming from the rumba, and he plays the IYA part and sings too....I cried when I saw it and experinced the sheer incredibility of one so young.. My students threw up when they saw it, there mostly in there 20's and to see a 10 year old play like a mature 40 year old is just outright "mindblowing" , I totally recommend it, it also has on it Los Papines-Tata Guines- Grupo Yoruba Andabo-and ABAKUA. It is AWESOME!........this is the REAL DEAL!.....WELCOME TO ALL THE NEWBIES!......."JC" Johnny Conga..... :;):
JohnnyConga

Postby Berimbau » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:13 am

Yo JohnnyConga!
Talk about synchronicity. I got that DVD this summer and hadn't seen it in a while. After my #### bengal (never get a pure-bred cat!!) woke me up at 5:30AMi, I thought I'd run it again. WOW! This is a must have DVD. Those kids play there hearts out. Tata Guines rules!

Saludos,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Return to Books, Videos, CD and other stuff