"The Drummer's Diary" - share w. us what happens to you drumming

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby CongaTick » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:31 pm

JC, Yoni, GuruPimpi...

All words of experience and support that I value. JC, great band leadership working philosophy, one I'm going to impart to our leader. Yep, the bassist thing is staring to turn. Auditioning one tonight, and one in the wings, so hopeful we'll manage to swing it. Last night rocked the house at a post open-mic gig with late night jammers, which helped retune a few things in my head and heart. Yep, the music brotherhood in a band is so damned strong, yet seemingly so tenuous at times... We've all been there. Thanks again, guys.
CongaTick

Postby CongaTick » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:23 pm

Checked out possible bassist last night in informal jam and came away with one conclusion: You know you're in trouble when a musician you're playing with says something like, "Wow, those are a nice set of bongos," and, without asking proceeds to tap away on your quinto-conga-tumba setup mounted with your precious mule heads. Far too many pPeople/musicians(?) out there, it seems, who don't know the difference between congas and bongos, and have little sensitivity or awareness of percussion. I've run across so many of them who, in essence, would be equally satisfied to play along with a click track, their mind, heart, ears and soul never tuned to anything but their chording, the notes and the basic strutcture of a downbeat.
CongaTick

Postby GuruPimpi » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:15 pm

:D hmmm...

Wll, I don't know what kind of music you are playing in a band, but I do know that here in Slovenija percussion instruments are being popular over last ten years or so and when I started to play, and even today many people just don't know what's the name of djembe, congas, bongos, doumbeks... They usually call any hand drum TAM TAM :D

When musician says something like that, i don't feel or see him as an idiot, maybe just ignorant and I told him the name of drum... I'm more interested if he grooves or not. How was with the new bassist then, was he groovy or stiff or self-oriented?

Anyway, keep the world informing and groovin'!

Pimpi

ps: my situation with the employer was solved better than i expected, but I still feel i'll have to be alert... now I'm having a coffee and then I'm having practise with a band, can't wait...
Read and salute ya all!
GuruPimpi

Postby yoni » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:03 pm

Glad to hear things are working out on the job, GuruPimpi!

CongaTick, I find it amusing when people mistake congas for bongos... What can really bug me is when people try to start slapping on my dahola or darbuka, which have thinner, more sensitive skins. Congas, too, I prefer that others don't try to play on them, at least without asking. Seems like people prefer to bang on drums more than any instrument. But all instruments can take on our personal vibes, which may be "upset" by the vibes of others.
In a way it's almost like saying: "Here's my woman - sure, give her a try!" .... No way.

In Israel everything is like public property and people get bugged if one doesn't share in the material. I do tolerate some tapping by dry, clean ring-less hands sometimes on my congas...

but if you try to mess with my dahola - watch out!

:angry:

Still somewhat of a Yankee in the private property aspect. If some folks can't accept it, too bad.

Yoni
yoni

Postby ralph » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:46 pm

the worst is when you are playing, like lets say at a bar, and a drunk laughing patron comes, and slaps your drum. That happened once, and i just pulled the drum away you know before the person could touch the drum, and its disrespectful cause as many hours as i and i'm sure yourselves have put into the craft, not only physically practicing but learning the history of this music and rhythms contantly, it's disrespectful, especially if one has no knowledge of the rich history, the techniques, the countless hours involved, and the struggle that percussionist have had to go through in establishing a viable artform. In any case in order for other to respect your craft, sometimes you gotta take the defensive you know, just so they know this is no "tom tom", "jungle music" or whatever ignorant label people come up with to define the music. peace
ralph

Postby CongaTick » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:47 pm

Pimpi, you're right, and I did inform him with a smile of the correct name. Unfortunately, he was a bit stiff and didn't quite "get it", if you know what I mean. Nonetheless we believe he's good for occasional guest slot on specific numbers.

Regarding the drum-touching issue-- I have to say I have strong feelings about my drums-- as I'm sure most congueros do. I believe musicians either consciously or unconsciously infuse so much of their spirit and love in their instruments, I would never disrespect that bond and touch or play with theirs without asking permission first. I just figure others should have the same respect for mine, and I'm a bit offended when somebody just decides any drum surface is a free invitation.
CongaTick

Postby Obi » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:44 pm

the worst is when you are playing, like lets say at a bar, and a drunk laughing patron comes, and slaps your drum.

Congas, too, I prefer that others don't try to play on them, at least without asking. Seems like people prefer to bang on drums more than any instrument. But all instruments can take on our personal vibes, which may be "upset" by the vibes of others.
In a way it's almost like saying: "Here's my woman - sure, give her a try!" .... No way.

Regarding the drum-touching issue-- I have to say I have strong feelings about my drums-- as I'm sure most congueros do. I believe musicians either consciously or unconsciously infuse so much of their spirit and love in their instruments, I would never disrespect that bond and touch or play with theirs without asking permission first. I just figure others should have the same respect for mine, and I'm a bit offended when somebody just decides any drum surface is a free invitation.

Why is it no-one ever picks up the Sax player's "Axe" & Blows ?! :angry:

Let's face it, there is far too much ignorance & disrespect regarding hand percussion & the "sacredness" of our tools & craft.

All too frequently, my babies have been assaulted by some "drunk" in a bar, occasionally while I was mid-set.

Other musicians (even those who are highly educated) often feel the need to just "give them a whack".

Due to the proliferation of hand drums and the availability of percussion instruments in "hippie" shops, Mall boutiques, & other Non-music shops, Hand Percussion has suffered from the misconception that our drums are "toys". ???

Is there a solution?

Not an easy one. All we can do is demonstrate respect & patiently educate those who do not understand.

In the meantime, don't play too close to the front of the stage... :cool:

Be accessible to your audience and those who ask questions. If you are willing to answer the silly questions or even give a 15 second demonstration to those who feel the need to "touch" then you have begun to build the bridge needed to create understanding.

Sometimes I even keep extra (cheap) shakers around and leave those out to be played with...

Obi
<a href= "http://www.geocities.com/drumrider"> Gahu Productions </a>
Obi

Postby ralph » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:10 pm

shakers are a good idea, to entertain in the meantime. You know its true, and unfortunately since percussion of anykind is not seen in the same light as other instruments, ignorance is prevalent. anyway at least we don't have to deal with our drums being taken away like the ancestors, that many of us pay homage to each time, we play.
peace
ralph

Postby windhorse » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:16 pm

untaltumbador wrote:There is definitely a strong magnetic field between my tumbadoras and I. It defines logic itself, it’s way beyond any desire to be or to become, it is like soldiers going to war knowing that they may die, it is like Nietzsche’s Will to Power, without the will or the power. When I sit before my drums to play them it’s like doing something that I need to do regardless of the outcome.

Untal,, I know this feeling so well.. :)

I continue to be drawn to learning, practicing, buying stuff (latest is a Gajete peddle), talking about, practice some more, meet new drummer friends, learn new drum patterns, practice some more,, on and on.. As if there will never be an end to this crazed madness! :p
It is truely "magnetic" and definitely an addiction. It is interfering with my work right now! As I procrastinate the grading that needs to get done today, I dream about and long to be playing.
People ask, "So, where are you going with this? What do you want to do with it?" And I honestly don't have an answer!
It's not to be in band. Though I do play in one which is open to my growing conga skills and its incorporation.
I'm 45 and not getting younger (no need to start a rock star career at this age) - sound familiar Untal? ???
But, it's an addiction,, doesn't have any other reason than to sustain itself.. It's the constant growth that is the addiction,, not the ability itself. If that makes any sense.. ???
And now?
My wrists are sore from yesterday's Afro-Cuban circle in the park. We continue to improve,, but we've got to get more singing into the mix!! :;):

Edited By windhorse on 1110727174
windhorse

Postby zaragemca » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:50 am

Last Friday in the Club Ice,(Houston), they have a Brazilian Party,I was recruited to jam live percussion with the DJ's,(which was a Brazilian),it was a night full of Samba,Choro,Batucada,and Lambada,with a few Salsa,and Merengues,at about 'midnight',jumping to House and Hip Hop,to finish with Brazil again.The best part,(I have women dancing around my set up all night long).

Edited By zaragemca on 1110761494
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby yoni » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:34 pm

Hi all!

Tonight I'm to play at a coffee place in Haifa with a contrabassist and saxophonist. Now I'm far from there, visiting my kids, and wanted to travel light, so will show up straight to the gig with just my dahola (bass darbuka).

It has a 40 watt bulb inside to keep the skin tight, and 1,000 watt fingers outside (hopefully) to give it sound.
I hope this combo will also attract muchas muchachas dancing around the set...

Later this week I perform with my trio, "Timeless", with Nobuya Yamaguchi on steel drums that he builds, and Odelia Zadok on flute. This is more abstract improvisational... and on Tuesday it's Rock-n-Roll, Latin, Gypsy & Jazz with some truly amazing players on keys and sax.

I'm lucky to be playing in so many genres these days... ah, the beauty of percussion!

all the best,
Yoni

Edited By yoni on 1110807810
yoni

Postby CongaTick » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:47 pm

Yoni's so lucky to have the incredible percussive diversity available at his location. Wow, what a delightful buffet of sounds and flavors! 'Fraid I'd have to search hard for that here in the 'burbs. Mostly pop-rockers, metal-heads, etc. I'm jealous, Yoni.
CongaTick

Postby yoni » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:58 am

Don't be, CongaTick!

Just get out here at least to visit and I'll hook you up with the music of your choice. Not that I make much bread at it! But I'll guarantee you laughs and fun. I have enough drums if you don't want to schlepp yours along.
yoni

Postby CongaTick » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:06 pm

Thanks for the invite, bro.

At last night's practice everything was very,very right. One of those sessions where instinct and impulse took control of pattern technique and the drums seemed in control. It was almost impossible not to smile while playing. And there are times when that happens, when the synchronicity is so tight, when the anticipation forms a clear path, that I can sense a doorway. Silly-sounding, maybe stupid, I know. A doorway not in the spiritual/drum-circle/new-agey way, but more like an opening to a new level of technique, independence, speed, an insight that is less than rational, a clearer view of the heart of rhythm, perhaps. Only a flash, then it's gone. Okay, is this too much? Perhaps. But gemma, you started it. And after all, it is a "diary".
CongaTick

Postby Dantino » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:06 am

Conga tick I know the feeling. Sometimes me and a couple of friends get together at a park and just jam. Usually on the weekends. When monday comes around I feel good about the previous weekend jam and looking forward to the following weekend. The perfect time is when one starts off playing and the others join in, everything just clicks. Its great. During the week I practice on my own but I often get frustrated because I find myself doing the same things. Unlike when we jam at the park. BUT, I am new to this and my friend who is teaching tells me to continue, and the creativity will come with time. I often do some excercises and I can get the sounds right but cannot find the way to incoorperate them into my playing. Like I said this frustrates me a little.
Dantino
Dantino

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion