Newbie questions / LP Classic vs Patato vs Lp Salsa

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Newbie questions / LP Classic vs Patato vs Lp Salsa

Postby Barefootserpent » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:36 am

I took up congas about 10 years ago and really enjoyed it but my work did not allow for enough time to put serious practice into it. I'm now retired and have a desire along with the time. I want to buy Quality Equipment.
Questions :

#1. I see many choices on YouTube for instruction but is it absolutely necessary for me to have an instructor? I don't really see any in the local area where I live.
#2 is it too much to also take up Bongos while I'm learning to play conga?
#3 LP Classic vs Patato vs LP Salsa (used pair)? I know the fiberglass drums will be louder which I don't need but they seem to be very popular . The used drums in my area are typically within a few hundred dollars of brand new.
#4 if I buy a new would it help the sound of a new player to have upgraded skins such as Manito?

Thank you for any suggestions
Barefootserpent

Re: Newbie questions / LP Classic vs Patato vs Lp Salsa

Postby Juaort » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:44 am

Hi Barefootserpent! Happy holidays to you.

1. There’s a few really solid teachers on YouTube. Tow that I watch are Dance Papi with Edgardo Gambon from Fl and A Percussion Life with Eric Morales. They are both very sound and stick to clave and counting.

2. I think it’s up to you if you want to take up Bongos. I would stay focused on Congas if thats your first choice, Bongos will come eventually. Who knows you might enjoy playing Bongos more lol.

3. I have a set of LP Classics. I love my set. 30” high Conga and Tumba. I always thought that the Patatos are to narrow at the bottom. The LP Salsa models I also like, 28” high. No longer made by LP I believe.

4. Changing the skins is up to you. I had the original skins on my LP classics from the day I bought them in ‘88? Till last year when I put Manito Skins on them. But the originals sounded great. I just wanted to change the sound a bit. They are pricy.

Congrats on the retirement! Enjoy.

Regards,

juaort
Attachments
9B4C9428-913E-41D5-949E-BF9A6ABCF2F9.jpeg
Juaort

Postby Barefootserpent » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:18 am

All good information. Thanks so much
Barefootserpent

Postby Chtimulato » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:27 pm

Hello, Barefootserpent, and hello everybody.

Here are my answers.

is it absolutely necessary for me to have an instructor?
Yes. A good one, not a charlatan. Edgardo Cambón is a good one. Johnny Conga (also a forum member here) too. They give lessons online. There are several others.

I don't really see any in the local area where I live
Tell us where you live, maybe we can help you further.

is it too much to also take up Bongos while I'm learning to play conga?
Juaort's answer makes sense, don't "scatter", at least at the beginning. On another hand, knowing how bongó works can help you to understand how congas work.

LP Classic vs Patato vs LP Salsa (used pair)?
Because of the narrower bottom, Patatos are not stable and have to be played with stands. Patato Valdés often played standing and using stands, you now know why.

if I buy a new would it help the sound of a new player to have upgraded skins such as Manito?
I suggest you to learn playing with the original skins, though I don't like them. Once you can get a good sound out of them, maybe you can consider changing and putting better skins on. It's like learning driving or photography : would your first car be a Mercedes or a Rolls Royce? Would your first camera be a Canon EOS? You won't be able to appreciate and enjoy quality if you begin with too good quality tools. IMHO.

And thus 5. :) Play what you can find / afford. Once you can get a good sound of any drum, you can consider buying something better.

Stay safe, everybody.
Chtimulato

Postby Barefootserpent » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:37 pm

Thank you. I live in St Augustine Florida
Barefootserpent

Postby Chtimulato » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:59 pm

OK. I think Johnny Conga lives in Florida too, but I'm not sure. Edgardo Cambón ("Dance Papi") lives on the West Coast. But both give online lessons. You just need to search them on Youtube.
Chtimulato

Postby Greensail » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:20 am

I'm with Juaort. After technique, the skins make the biggest difference. I will say that I'm glad I learned on a stock skin, thinner - made it a little easier in some regards. But a good cow or steer, large improvement. (The first car analogy was a good one)
And btw- nice looking drums Juaort.
Attachments
20200811_081257.jpg
Greensail

Postby Juaort » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:41 pm

Thank you Sir! I mounted the skins myself. Those Manito skins are killer!
Juaort

Return to Open Discussion