Rudiments - metronome

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Rudiments - metronome

Postby Greensail » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:34 am

Lately I've returned to working extensively on basic rudiments. Rolls, paradiddles, doubles, triples, etc. I have played with a metronome and perhaps I should use it more. But often I choose a tune with the speed I want to be at, and play along. Basically using the song to keep time. Anyone have advice if a metronome has any significant advantage over using a song?
Greensail

Re: Rudiments - metronome

Postby Chtimulato » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:47 am

Well... you can do both, what I'm doing too, but you can set the speed with the metronome, that's all. And better than metronome, if you've got a smartphone or a tablet, you can install and use a clave app :

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mammalsoft.theclave&hl=fr is basic, but useful

and the Rolls Royce : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.funkydrumtutor.PercussiontutorUnity&hl=fr, which comes with a book.

If you're using iOS, you can find these two apps too.
Chtimulato

Postby Derbeno » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:45 pm

I suggest metronome first then play along to relevant tracks. Try Pro Metronome app. Loads of features including a timing trainer where it removes clicks at random, you can check your internal clocks when the clicks come back in and out
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby Greensail » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:07 pm

Thanks Chtimulato, The Cadillac you mention looks really nice. I have the clave app and have used it. I think for me, it just feels better (or its more fun cause I can kind of get into the groove) using a tune. For my purposes, I suspect that any minor time discrepancies are moot. I'll let you know should I decide to drop all of $3.99 for the promo version. Happy slappin'
Greensail

Return to Open Discussion