The Artisan - HR EL PIERNAS congas bongo timbales

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: The Artisan - HR EL PIERNAS congas bongo timbales

Postby seisporocho1 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:50 am

Hey,

So I just arrived last night from my 2-week trip to Colombia.

I made my way from Bogota to Cali. Drove thru the mountains and valleys to visit some of my girlfriend's family. We stayed at a farm in Cali. Let me just say, Colombia is simply an amazing country.

Of course, first thing I did in Cali was pay HR a visit! My experience there was just awesome. HR is a real-deal craftsman that does what he loves to do with a very humble approach. His place is raw and very organic. Trust me when i say, this guy does wonders with the tools and resources he has! Oh and YES, the drums are heavy!! I grabbed a pair of bongos he had and let's just say they were some tough puppies to say the least. They are built like tanks. And even though it isn't practical for the everyday player to carry around, they are a serious option for a reliable, solid drum.

My visit was mostly out of curiousity since I did not take enough money to buy drums but I still walked out with 2 bells and a pair of maracas (the maracas are sick!). One of the bells was a gift from him to me. It was made on the spot while i was there...totally unexpected and very cool.

I will write more when I settle in. Tomorrow morning I leave to Key West with the band to play 2 nights and come back Sunday.

I took pics of him and his shop. Will post them by monday or tues.

peace
Aiku,
6x8
seisporocho1

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:36 pm

Sounds like a great trip. I've always wanted to visit a drum maker.
Looking forward to the pics of his shops and your instruments...I
do want a nice pair of maracas myself.
bongosnotbombs

Postby seisporocho1 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:02 pm

Well, finally I got some time to send the pics I took at HR's shop this month:

Note: I had my girlfriend take the pics while I spent time with Hector and so the pics aren't the best. She even forgot to go into the painting room where they do all the polishing and art work... :?
Attachments
DSC_0802.JPG
Store next door to HR's shop. I had to take a pic of this guy!
DSC_0813.JPG
HR explaining to me what wood he uses and showing the quality of his bongos.
DSC_0815.JPG
A poster HR has on the wall of his shop...Himself with a bunch of Salseros from all over latin america.
DSC_0823.JPG
This is the first view of his shop when you walk thru the front door. This is his office. Behind it is the actual workshop.
Aiku,
6x8
seisporocho1

Postby seisporocho1 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:13 pm

More pics....
Attachments
DSC_0825.JPG
This guy is using drum molds to produce pre-mounted skins. HR uses cow skin from Cali.
DSC_0826.JPG
Man on the right is the one responsible for making all the maraca handles. Uses a lathe and each handle is individually made here! This guys looked like he's been working there for 40 years...
DSC_0833.JPG
Same guy.
DSC_0835.JPG
pic of his set up...
Aiku,
6x8
seisporocho1

Postby seisporocho1 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:31 pm

More pics....
Attachments
DSC_0830.JPG
pic of another section of the shop. At the end on the right, there is a door way leading to another room. It leads to the painting painting room. Unfortunately, I don't have a pic of that room because my girlfriend didn't go in it. I did go in it with HR and it was interesting to see a bunch of bongos drying up.
DSC_0842.JPG
HR and I hanging out. I must've been there for almost 2 hours. Part of it was also because he wanted to give me a bell as a gift and it was being made on the spot. So I had to wait for it to be built. I must say it was a really nice gesture from him.
DSC_0847.JPG
this is HR with his Puerto Rican bongo ( I personally don't care for the flag theme) and me with the bell he had made for me. I had asked him to leave it raw and not chrome it. So they just put a light lacquer on it. Looks awesome. I post a closer pic of it later.
DSC_0855.JPG
HR and I saying good-bye outside his shop. It was a true pleasure to have spent time with him.
Aiku,
6x8
seisporocho1

Postby juancho » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:50 pm

Believe it or not, I shed a tear looking at these pictures.......just brought back so many memories of my Cali bella. I definitely need to go back and pay HR a visit since my cousins live in that same little town of Savedra Galindo.
6X8, thank you very much for these beautiful pictures in fact the corner store I have it now as my pc background.
Lord bless
Juancho
juancho

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:05 pm

What a great trip! Thanks for posting those pictures of the HR factory.
bongosnotbombs

Postby OLSONGO » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:37 pm

Juancho como decimos nosotros "Que espera marica " vaya , de las congas y bongos todo eso esta bien....pero las Cale~as mi hermano las Cale~as.. mmmmm que ricas. :mrgreen:
Paz
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby juancho » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:52 pm

Viejo Olsongo,
ese es el pedo que tengo. Last time I went back in 81 casi me cuelgan de as pe&%^tas y casi me botan del trabajo por quedarme otra semana mas y da culillo si pienso ir otra vez. Como decimos nosotros " Cali es la pu(*&^teria" si o si?......perros que somos !!!
juancho
juancho

Postby Jaisen Torres » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:41 pm

Bacalao wrote:Hey if anyone is interested, I have a tumba made by H.R. in Cali that I purchased ~ 3 yrs ago on a 2 week visit, that's up for sale. The first thing I did when I arrived in Cali was go to his shop and asked him to custom make me a 5 band tumba. He had some shells that were in the rough just waiting for a customers request, but none had the bands wood worked out and he was happy to oblige. I would check on them every day almost for 2 weeks while he finished the drum. It is made from Guayacan with a very thick skin and HEAVY DUTY hardware, this thing is bomb proof. The drum has a warm DEEP tone and sound awesome. Let me know if anyone is interested because I'm trying to finance another purchase.

wow i want set of these realy bad, any advice ?
Jaisen.
Jaisen Torres

Postby tootyfull » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:58 pm

Please respond..regarding a price listing for your line of congas/bongos..
thank you so much sir,
sincerely, :)
Gary K.Butler
tootyman@netscape.com
tootyfull

Previous

Return to CongaSet and accessories