The Clave Matrix; Afro-Cuban Rhythm, Its Principles and Afri

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

The Clave Matrix; Afro-Cuban Rhythm, Its Principles and Afri

Postby davidpenalosa » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:27 pm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
OCTOBER 23, 2009

Bembe Books announces the release of The Clave Matrix; Afro-Cuban Rhythm, Its Principles and African Origins by David Peñalosa.

For the first time in print, Afro-Cuban clave-based music receives an in-depth analysis that shows, in a logical, step-by-step manner, precisely how all its rhythmic elements relate. For beginning students, performers, or music teachers, The Clave Matrix unlocks the rhythmic secrets of this extraordinary music. Over 300 pages, The Clave Matrix presents numerous examples and exercises (in standard and box notation), extensive chapter notes, magazine article references, and a prodigious discography of 10 pages. Also included are 2 CDs with 117 tracks of examples.

“An incredible work of art, phenomenal!”—Walfredo de los Reyes Sr.

"The Clave Matrix is extremely well written, very informative and utterly thorough. Besides the main body of the text, the Notes chapter, references, discographies, websites, etc., in the back of the book are fantastic! It’s an excellent piece of work!"—Michael Spiro (author: The Conga Drummer's Guidebook)

“I highly recommend David’s common sense method to this much underdeveloped area of Cuban music. This is THE standard of the genre.”—Conor Guilfoyle (author: Odd Meter Clave, Rhythmic Reading)

“If you have been waiting for a text that breaks down the concept of clave and its related complexities to a level of practical and useable detail, this is your book.”—Dr. Eugene D. Novotney, Professor of Music, Humboldt State University

“Everyone knows that Latin music is based on clave, but what is clave itself based on? The answer—a revelation to me, is one of many to be found in this meticulous study of Afro-Cuban rhythms.”—Kevin Moore (author: The Tomas Cruz Conga Method Vols. 1-3, Beyond Salsa Piano, The Cuban Timba Piano Revolution)

"Not only has David done a meticulous job of documenting, explaining and expanding the most far reaching mode of expression in world music today, he has created a rigorous method for learning and teaching its principles and application."—Kim Atkinson (author: Clave Consciousness Vols.1 and 2 and Speaking of Rhythm Vols. 1 -6, PulseWave.com)

Available from Amazon.com, BarnesandNoble.com, Boogalu.com, Descarga.com and other fine music and book stores.

http://www.bembe.com
http://www.unlockingclave.com

Distributed by City Hall Records
http://www.cityhallrecords.com
Last edited by davidpenalosa on Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidpenalosa

Re: The Clave Matrix; Afro-Cuban Rhythm, Its Principles and Afri

Postby windhorse » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:01 pm

I highly recommend this book! It's a reference book that you wouldn't just sit down and read in an afternoon. You end up pulling it out as reference as often as you would the dictionary or encyclopedia.
It's surprisingly full of great patterns to play on drums, so it's not JUST about clave. Or just about it's history.
It's more like a complete study of everything that involves clave. But, it's really practical for the conguero that wants to know how to read some basic conga/clave patterns and learn how they fit,, and in many cases why they fit certain ways.
I really hate to sound so much like a salesman on commission, but everyone on this list should have this book! No kidding - it's really that good!
windhorse

Postby davidpenalosa » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:09 pm

Dave,
Thanks so much for your extremely high praise! I'm very gratified that you have benefited from the book. Let me know if you have any questions.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby Tone » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:47 am

just ordered it. I hope it makes it to Rio!
looking forward to it!
tone
Tone

Postby Tone » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:43 am

after two days that's the message I got from Barnes and Nobles :

Despite our efforts, we were unable to fulfill all of the items in your order, as noted below. We have canceled your order.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and look forward to your next visit to http://www.bn.com.

Sincerely,

-- Barnes & Noble

WTF!?
tone
Tone

Postby Tone » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:59 pm

and now this from amazon. Is your book really available David ??

Hello from Amazon.com.

We're writing about the order you placed on October 31 2009 (Order# 102-3500307-9135458). Unfortunately, we are unable to ship the item(s) as soon as we expected and need to provide you with a new estimate of when the item(s) may be delivered:

David Penalosa "The Clave Matrix"
Estimated arrival date: December 09 2009 - December 22 2009

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this delay.
tone
Tone

Postby davidpenalosa » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:08 pm

Tone,
I just read your posts. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I don't know what's up with Barnes and Noble. We have sold out of the first printing, which is probably why Amazon gave you that December date. I'll email you privately and see if we can find a way to get the book to you sooner. Sorry for the inconvenience.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby davidpenalosa » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:08 pm

THE CLAVE MATRIX
Afro-Cuban Rhythm: Its Principles and African Origins
By David Peñalosa with Peter Greenwood
318 pages / English
Bembé Books
ISBN-1-886502-80-3

Latin Beat Magazine
http://www.latinbeatmagazine.com/reviews.html
Known for his work as executive producer for Bembé Records, the percussionist/educator David Peñalosa released his latest published endeavor, "The Clave Matrix". Most music aficionados know that Antillean music is mostly based on the Cuban clave, and Peñalosa a preeminent clave theorist sought out by scholars and authors for his analytical expertise-brings us the definitive book on clave, the rhythmic foundation of most of what it's usually known today as "Latin music". Regardless of your level of musicianship or musical education, this book unlocks the rhythmic secrets of Afro-Cuban music and Latin music in general. Going beyond the conventional teachings of the clave de son (3-2) and the clave de rumba (2-3) patterns, The Clave Matrix breaks down the concept of clave and its related complexities to a layman's level of understanding. The book includes extensive exercises, music examples written in standard and box notation, beat cycles, metric structure, terminology and theory. Two CDs accompany this instructional book, providing a vital component to the learning process. The audio examples are identified by the CD icon next to the written exercises, while a shaker plays the main beats on each track, so that you can hear every example within its proper metrical context. Interesting graphic patterns both African-carved and woven, as well as designs by the author based on traditional motifs, are found throughout the book, thus adding an artistic element which visually communicates, either explicitly or implicitly, the structures found in the music. In reality, The Clave Matrix is the first volume of a series entitled Unlocking Clave and based on the research conducted by Peñalosa for over 30 years, on the premise that the essential structure of sub-Saharan African rhythms consists of four independent patterns that intersect according to specific rhythmic principles. As Peñalosa explains it: "In Cuba, those principles are collectively known as 'clave', a Spanish word meaning key or code." The book was edited by Peter Greenwood, a gifted musician/composer /educator/musicologist, as well as a good friend of Peñalosa. -Rudy Mangual, Editor

Boogalu Productions
http://www.boogalu.com/the-clave-matrix
"As long as I can remember, musicians at various levels have argued about or been confused by “the clave” and its role in Latin music generally and Afro-Cuban music specifically. I’ve listened to, collected, studied, and played this type of music for over fifty years and I’m still surprised whenever a new revelation comes upon me, revealing my understanding to be misguided, incomplete, or simply wrong. Being misguided is likely when navigating through a mysterious maze where the guideposts previously erected are not necessarily reliable. If only there were some really good maps maybe we would have a clearer idea about this territory.

How can I as a dancer, musician, listener, fan, performer, or musicologist understand the great attraction and complexity of Afro Cuban music in the deepest, most definitive and thorough manner possible? Answer: embrace, study, and absorb the teachings and concepts presented in The Clave Matrix by David Peñalosa, who I believe is the foremost expert on the subject. I would recommend first reading some of the introductory paragraphs to several chapters and then listening to the accompanying CDs. I am sure you will feel like you are in the confident hands of a master teacher and then you will want to proceed further toward understanding and grasping the vital lessons contained throughout the rest of the book.

This is only Volume One. It’s a great foundation for getting the most from the forthcoming volumes on more specific practices. As you proceed, you will undergo “quantum” shifts and “AHA!” experiences regarding the most essential concepts in the world of rhythm. You will see how each clarification is the stepping stone to the next development in the progression and in the end you will have an understanding that may have taken many practitioners most of their lives, to sense intuitively and pass on by “osmosis.” Peñalosa’s approach employs both the intuitive and the precisely articulate. No one has researched the subject of clave and sorted out its rhythmic labyrinth to the extent that this author has.

A great bonus is the two accompanying CDs of audio examples. Now I totally get it! It is clear as a bell. There is nothing better for retaining new ideas than to have both the telling and the showing at your fingertips and playable to your ears at the flip of the remote.

Peñalosa is careful to point out potential pitfalls. For example, after explaining everything you always wanted to know about 3-2 clave and 2-3 clave in popular music, he states: “When discussing clave in relation to Cuban folkloric music, or African and other non-Cuban genres, care should be taken as to not improperly project the 3-2/2-3 framework, or other popular music techniques and aesthetics.” Many old controversies get resolved: “In clave based folkloric music beat 1 is always the first stroke of the three-side. As we’ve seen, this is the point in musical time where the matrix is initiated, the moment of rhythmic “ignition”.

The author notes every major issue regarding the complexities and seeming contradictions that always emerge in clave theory. Furthermore, he has at last deduced a comprehensive system whereby all issues are resolved under “one tent.” Sooner or later, anyone wanting to be free of the frustrating confusions will have to confront Peñalosa’s system and conceptual foundations, which I see as the unavoidable truth of the matter.

Who should be interested in such a comprehensive and thoughtful approach to understanding clave? Who even entertains clave as a subject of contemplation? Answer: All those musically inclined who ever had an inkling that there was a certain “something” which made their favorite type of music from Africa, Cuba and the extended Diaspora, so engaging, mysterious, wondrous, and life affirming. The concepts, so clearly delineated in The Clave Matrix, are a basis for renewed creativity both with traditional approaches to playing and also for new musical composition.

The Clave Matrix articulates the structural relationships at the foundation of clave-based music, concepts that were always there but never before made so clear on a theoretical basis. You might say that these are “original” theoretical ideas, but David Peñalosa is simply clave’s long-awaited spokesman."
Zeno Okeanos, Associate Producer, Boogalu Productions
davidpenalosa

Postby davidpenalosa » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:18 pm

PS
Amazon has the book available for the discounted price of $36.49 under the "music" category. Our distributor initially messed up by soliciting the book as an "audio CD" instead of a "book" with two accompanying CDs. That's why amazon lists it under the two different categories. They must be trying to sell the books under the "music" category first, which would explain their discount.

There are copies of the first printing still available directly from http://www.bembe.com. Since I handle the shipping of the books for Bembe, this is probably the best way to go this month. Any problems with book orders from Bembe (not that I'm expecting any) will be dealt with directly by me.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby Tone » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:49 am

and now this from Bembe :

I received notice of your online order, but for some reason the full order information with credit card information did not come through. Could you please either 10 resubmit your order online or 2) email me your credit card information and shipping address?

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Jimmy Durchslag, President
Bembe Records

I give up!!
tone
Tone

Postby davidpenalosa » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:30 pm

Tone,
Believe it or not, all of those impediments are unrelated. Don't give up though, I'm sending you a complimentary copy tomorrow. You certainly have earned it. I'll email you privately for your mailing address and any instructions you may have regarding mail to Brazil.
-David
davidpenalosa

Re: The Clave Matrix; Afro-Cuban Rhythm, Its Principles and

Postby carlito » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:17 am

Hello David,
I could buy the book, unfortunately without the 2 cd's. Can I buy the 2 cd's somewhere?

Sincerely,
carlito
carlito

Postby boomerama » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:36 am

carlito wrote:Hello David,
I could buy the book, unfortunately without the 2 cd's. Can I buy the 2 cd's somewhere?

Sincerely,
carlito

Look here link one and two
https://www.musiker-board.de/threads/cl ... co.539778/
boomerama

Postby carlito » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:51 am

boomerama wrote:Look here link one and two
https://www.musiker-board.de/threads/cl ... co.539778/

Thank's so much for the link! :wink:
carlito

Postby Matej » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:47 am

Hi,

I've been reading this forum occasionally, but this is my first post.

I am trying to get the audio files for the book "Rumba Quinto".

The links above aren't working for me. I can see the first page with names of the recordings, but can't download anything. The "Download all" link downloads a 22Byte zip file.

Can someone provide an alternative way to get the files? Thanks!

Matej
Matej

Next

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students