New to congas, new to percussion all together.

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

New to congas, new to percussion all together.

Postby chrisgs » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:53 pm

life long string instrument player, mostly guitar--fingerstyle, slide, lap--and mandolin. Recently bit by the latin music bug by way of a friend teaching me the basic rumba flamenco strumming patterns. Truth be told, what I find most interesting, in the various afro-latin styles, is the percussion side of things. A friend of mine who runs a small music shop let me have a conga/tumba pair--Meinl Marathon--for $175. Nothing wrong with them except some cosmetic dings, he just needed to make some room and he had taken them in on trade.

Anyway, I have done a web search for teachers in St. Louis but all I turn up is one of those people who thinks that there music degree from an art school justifies them offering lessons on just about every conceivable instrument.
chrisgs

Re: New to congas, new to percussion all together.

Postby Chtimulato » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:38 am

Hi.

Contact Johnny Conga on this forum. He gives online lessons, and knows what he's talking about.
Chtimulato

Postby burke » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:27 pm

Can't help with your question about teachers, but did enjoy the comment:
" one of those people who thinks that there music degree from an art school justifies them offering lessons on just about every conceivable instrument."

I've had the experience of people picking my pocket who really don't know anything more than me, but they're chops are a bit better because they are unemployed and I have a job [and life] ...:)
Burke
burke

Postby Chtimulato » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:52 pm

:D Great statement, burke. I know such guys too... And I also have a steady job, a family and a real life...
Chtimulato

Postby chrisgs » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:16 pm

Thanks to those who pointed me John's way. Taking lessons with him and having the time of my life.
chrisgs

Return to Open Discussion