Cymbals for congueros - hand playing your cymbals

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Mike » Thu May 31, 2007 12:08 pm

Hey, today I got the 16" El sabor Handcrash - It´s incredibly brilliant!! Totally versatile, and very sensitive towards touch either by hand or stick. And the tone is awesome, a cutting bell yet with a raw tone to it and a quick crash sound.
Hand cymbal at its best - worth every penny!
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Thomas » Thu May 31, 2007 5:23 pm

How much was it and where did you buy it?
Thomas

Postby Mike » Thu May 31, 2007 6:38 pm

Hi Thomas, I purchased the Sabian El Sabor 16" Picante Hand Crash at http://www.musik-schmidt.de in Frankfurt for 155,00 € (good service , BTW). It was a showroom model, thus a special offer, slightly used, but who cares, no damage whatsoever. The average price in Germany is around 200€, the list price being ca. 240€.

But be careful, there is a similar model from the AA series which I do not know about. The cymbal I´ve got now and LOVE is from the AAX series (SA21660XH).
I didn´t exaggerate in my previous post, ´cause playing it is really a mind-boggling experience! But I won´t say more - due to a lack of expressing absolute joy enthusiasm in English :D
All I can say is: maybe the 18" is interesting too :;):

Thomas, do you play any hand cymbals in your setup?

Edited By Mike on 1180636887
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Thomas » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:56 pm

Thats a nice deal Mike!
I've once tested the aaxplosion series (the drum-set player of one of my former bands used them) and they are really nice!
I don't like to advertise chinese labour camp products (actually I don't really know exactly..but the price tells its story..), but I use a 10" stagg vintage bronze splash for 25€. It has a really interesting sound, could be compared with a china, but more explosive and with a short sustain, great for accents (I'm looking for unconventional sounds, as I mostly play beside drum-set players).
Thats my only "hand-cymbal" (although its not labelled as one).
Have you ever tried ufip cymbals, they have some really interesting cymbals as well, but unfortunately very expensive!

All the best, Tom!
Thomas

Postby Mike » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:56 pm

Yes, UFIP cymbals are great. The drummer of my former big band had some - brilliant! I haven´t tested any of them aspercussion or hand cymbals as they are not really frequently out in the shops
Well, if you like unusual sounds, then you should perhaps try the Sabian El Sabor Picante Handcrash. It has a "dark side" to it that really like (quite some sustain) and yet it´s very fast..

OK, at the end of the day I must say (like someone said before) if a conga setup is the core you play you shouldn´t overdo it with splish splash splooosh :;):
But it´s definitely great to add some "punctuation".
Peace & drum
Mike

Re: Cymbals for congueros - hand playing your cymbals

Postby Roka » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:46 am

I can hardly descry, but can it be MEINL CANDELA splash here ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIfqy_WU-pE
Roka

Postby CongaTick » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:18 pm

But what you MUST have is a "bongo face".
CongaTick

Postby rhythmrhyme » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:23 pm

yeeaaahhh boy! Best bongo face ever! Looks like he's about to... lol. that boy's a lover!
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby electric_angel » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:15 pm

on an absolute budget, i tested a few stagg models for playing by hand. i settled on the 16" classic series thin crash which i picked up new for about £40. it's not particularly fast but does deliver lovely soft full crashes that swoosh in and slowly decay - great for adding colour to a mellow groove (the band i play in mostly does mellow grooves...). it has an amazing range of volume too - rolls build very quick.

i have the hand hit 8" splash too (£18) which i originally bought for a micro-hihat project. this has a nice thin exotic sound but it needs a firm hit to get enough volume - i bet the 10" is better but they're like hens teeth.

also at the budget end a 12" wuhan splash i bought years ago (about £35 inc delivery from the states, i think) which has a surprisingly rich tone and is fast enough for accents. i'd love to test out some more wuhan's but i don't think anywhere in the uk stocks them yet.
electric_angel

Postby Seneferu » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:45 am

Hi Berimbau and the rest of my fellow percussionists. I would love to try hand cymbals to my percussion setup. Right now, I'm adding an Aluphone single bell to my setup and will probably purchase another one and a bell tree. You're right about using one drum. Currently, I using a tumba cajon, a conga cajon, and conga drum for the melodic quality, but my teacher Dr. Juma Santos (Ibae) used to teach you can make one drum sound like an orchestra. I believe the late percussionist, Papa Dee Allen only played one conga, a crash cymbal and timbales, although he was a multi percussionist who also played sax and sang classical. Seneferu
Seneferu

Previous

Return to Open Discussion