Full set, matching colors or various?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Full set, matching colors or various?

Postby Ebongo » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:01 pm

I'll be ordering a full set of Moperc congas. I like all of the Moperc standard colors except for blue or black. Would you go for matching colors or a combination? -- http://www.moperc.com/en/conga_drum_cubano.php
Last edited by Ebongo on Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ebongo

Re: Full set, matching colors or various?

Postby Marcus » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:56 pm

hmmmm,

I would go with matching colors. The novelity of different colors might wear off in the future. These drums will become heirlooms and you might think differently in the future. Kinda like a tattoo, best to be well thought out.

peace, marcus
Marcus

Postby KKonga » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:53 am

Even when I order different series I try to stay with the same color...
That way they look good if you play them together.
This is a personal choice and everyone has different taste...
Buy what you like....One thing for sure is that you can't go wrong with Moperc!
8)
KKonga

Postby tayo36 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:08 pm

I'll never care about matching colours...:)
Attachments
photo1 (1).jpg
tayo36

Postby Ebongo » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:04 am

tayo36 that's a nice color combo.
I am still undecided. If I do go for non match, then perhaps the 3 larger drums in sunrise color, and, yellow for the quinto. Then it would look uniform, with a high noon yellow for the high slap quinto closest to me. Awww yaah, can you dig it
Ebongo

Postby CongaTick » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:30 pm

All I ever cared about was the quality of my strokes and playing, regardless of the color or make of drum in front of me...matter of fact I always loved the challenge of making a shitty drum/or combination evoke the snap and heart of its spirit and its synch with the groove. But that's just me....whatever floats....(you know the rest)
CongaTick

Postby Ebongo » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:30 pm

Ebongo

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:36 am

Ebongo wrote::D bring on the yellow -- http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YKSs9la8Lfw

Classic, nice choice. I played the same very drums in that vid during my most recent stay in Cuba. They sound great, built very well and look fantastic. You will be very happy with them. Conga-tulations. :D
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby jorge » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:35 pm

Please excuse the thread diversion, but that is one of the best documented examples of Matanzas style rumba Columbia drumming that I have ever seen. Outstanding players Luisito, Deyvis and Orlandito, with Muñequitos lead dancer Figurin on cata. Really tight, great conversation between the tumbador and golpe, excellent quinto (in spite of some clueless comments), very Matancero in style. Maybe we should start another thread on that clip.
Now back to the regularly scheduled program...
jorge

Postby Thomas Altmann » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:20 pm

Ebongo,

whatever helps you to bring out your music best, is what you should favor. Music is a form of art, and art has to do with passion, aesthetics, with individuality, even inconformity, and all this may be reflected in the outer appearance of the instrument(s) as well as the player's. However, being too much concerned about the static image of the instrument you are going to play, or your own vanity, may cause distraction from the dynamism of that sound- and time-related art form called music.

Actually, you don't consult an internet forum about what you should wear today, either. You probably know it already, anyway.

No offense intended,

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Ebongo » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:33 pm

Thomas,
Very true, those points. No offense taken.
:D Note: the choice of colors is not a concern, at all. Upgrading to a great set of drums, I am merely enjoying the design option available, moreover, considering this is a pricey one-time-buy item. This topic, [in this forum "CongaSet and accessories"], was not started for advice, but for a light sharing of different aesthetics.
Ebongo

Postby Ebongo » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:33 pm

this sounds great too -- http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=myEWFqljZj0

jorge wrote:

Please excuse the thread diversion, but that is one of the best documented examples of Matanzas style rumba Columbia drumming that I have ever seen. Outstanding players Luisito, Deyvis and Orlandito, with Muñequitos lead dancer Figurin on cata. Really tight, great conversation between the tumbador and golpe, excellent quinto (in spite of some clueless comments), very Matancero in style. Maybe we should start another thread on that clip.
Now back to the regularly scheduled program...
Ebongo

Postby Thomas Altmann » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:05 pm

This topic, [in this forum "CongaSet and accessories"], was not started for advice, but for a light sharing of different aesthetics.

Well, then: I approach any set of drums as one single instrument, so I feel this concept is best supported and underscored by a uniform look. Also, I am not going merely for the production of an ideal sound; I feel that the act and the performance of live music-making is part of the whole endeavor: I wouldn't want to see myself as a dude behind a set of five shiny drums that I don't dare to hit properly, but on the other hand, a random bunch of drums of different colors or makes projects a certain carelessness (or even provocation) that I couldn't back up as a player. It would shift the focus from the instrument to the musician behind it.

I know that there are other people who can manage that. It's a matter of personality. Some musicians just play through their instrument; they demand that their instrument succumbs to their sonic ideas, and that's all. I love my instrument, or rather each one of the various instruments I play, and I often regard myself as being "instrumental" in bringing out the individual potential out of my drums. The drum becomes the actual player, so to say.

So you see, all that shows in the visual aesthetics of the performance as a whole. If I wasn't a Mr. Serious by nature, I would make different choices, and this would be visible, and that's cool, too.

Greetings, Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Kaban » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:37 am

Last night I went out and saw a great conga player, his congas look like crap. All three where a different color, one looked new, two are scratched to the max. I asked him about his drums, he loved their sound, he was happy with them, two are over twenty years old. He though it was cool that there all different colors.

Two months ago I saw a great conga player, his drum matched and look like three dico balls! He loved the sound and looks of his drums too.

To each his own...
Kaban

Postby docarroyo » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:01 pm

I have matched sets of drums but my favorites are my Junior Tirado which are not matched (In color). My drums are an extension of me I am able to say things with them that I cant voice with my mouth. Drums were one of the first mass communication devices known to man and if you know what your doing they can still convey the message. In Puerto Rico when we play Plena the drums and dancers speak to each other with out words. If you look at the Cubanos when they do a Yambu there is communication. Color of drums in most cases do not matter most the Rumbas and Toques I have attended or played at are with un matched drums but the spirit of the drums and the players are matched. Do not worry what others think they are your drums do what feels correct to you. Match them if you like or don't if you like just make sure you play them well nothing else matters but the sound and the feel. My dos chavos
IMG_0188.JPG
IMG_0188.JPG
docarroyo

Return to CongaSet and accessories