Type of skin on fiberglass congas

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Type of skin on fiberglass congas

Postby congavalde » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:41 pm

Hi just bought a whole set of fiberglass congas. They look really great. The two tumbas sound fine with the stock LP Accent heads. But the quinto is ringy. Still waiting on the conga to flatten out. I have a set of LP Salsa congas with mules and really love them.

I am thinking of switching the quinto stock heads with another type of thicker skin I imagine.

Do I go with Steer, mule, or other? Is it fine to have different type of skins on the same set. I like tone, to me the slaps all sound the same and I like a quieter slap anyways, so a nice long tone is what I am looking for.

Anyone with fiberglass who have changed the heads to something else, can you give me some direction?

Thanks a million,

S
congavalde

Re: Type of skin on fiberglass congas

Postby valde002 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:20 pm

thats okay. Only 1 out of 4 drums rings and I am pretty much used to it by now.
valde002

Postby tootyfull » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:52 pm

Hello Congavalde:
I am in the process of switching out stock heads from LP matador fiberglass congas as well.Ive tried remo skyndeep series,but too much ringtones,but great fit and projection .Ive been advised thru my fellow congueros that cowskins and mule were good choices for a warmer tone.You know,I guess it boils down to what type of tonal quality the player feels most comfortable.I am currently selling the remo heads and plan to buy some steer or calfskins,perhaps from one of the many sellers listed on this site.Whatever choice you make,quality does count.Best of luck,and keep us informed.

Tootyfulll
tootyfull

Postby congavalde » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:19 pm

My fiberglass congas came with Remo Nuskyns and I just couldnt stand them! I would rather have stock water buffalo heads than those.

Please let me know what type of skin you choose. I am familiar with mules and love them. But I have no experience with calf or steer and unfortunately, I don't know any conga players much less those who have them to try them out. I am saving up for some replacement heads if I go that way, and may contact Manito to see what kinds of skins he recommends and what thickness would be good for each size.

Can you also let me know who you buy the heads from? It would be good to know what skin dealers others use and how they are. My mules came from L and H, but Mike is no longer in business...

Thanks!
congavalde

Postby tootyfull » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:46 pm

congavalde wrote:My fiberglass congas came with Remo Nuskyns and I just couldnt stand them! I would rather have stock water buffalo heads than those.
Have you replaced your heads yet since your last post? I selling my last remo skyndeep head and will stick with animal skins from now on.Manito is a great source of information.
from Tootyfull

Please let me know what type of skin you choose. I am familiar with mules and love them. But I have no experience with calf or steer and unfortunately, I don't know any conga players much less those who have them to try them out. I am saving up for some replacement heads if I go that way, and may contact Manito to see what kinds of skins he recommends and what thickness would be good for each size.

Can you also let me know who you buy the heads from? It would be good to know what skin dealers others use and how they are. My mules came from L and H, but Mike is no longer in business...

Thanks!
tootyfull

Postby tootyfull » Sun May 18, 2014 2:52 am

Did you finally settle on a new set of skins for your fiberglass Lp's? Manito is a good source of information about this.

Tootyfull
tootyfull

Return to CongaSet and accessories